Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Current: HH explorer

Looking for a new kit

So, for the last year or so I’ve been using a Hennessy exp. I’ve found that it works well but that it really closes in around my face. This poses different problems for me in high summer and winter. So, I am looking to try something else.
    I’m up north and have gotten back into camping year round, summers see crazy heat and humidity, bugs which can literally drive animals mad. winter nights get arctic cold but with higher humidity... I used makeshift layers last winter and while at -30 it wasn’t comfortable, it was doable. Now I’m ready to invest in a proper quilt system to make winter enjoyable and not just tolerable.
    So I think I’m looking at a wbrr. I can’t afford to be an UL hiker and honestly I’m more akin to the bushman mentality. By that I mean I’ll happily trade a bit of weight for increased durability and I over pack on survival gear(from a thru hikers perspective)
    I’ll never give up my hatchet.....
    My dry weight for cool weather is about 48lbs, summer it’s 38lbs and I can carry the weight comfortably. Yes there are areas I can trim, all in good time. But extremely variable weather in our area requires I carry winter insulation sept-May. Just mentioning this as the weight of a bridge doesn’t bother me if I gain in comfort.

Requirements: netting off my face, comfort, easy to insulate. If I can use my exped UL downmat, even better. But the winter ability is honestly key as we get sub freezing weather 8 months a year. My home had sub 0 the end of May and my hiking areas had sub 0 a week ago.

So with my needs outlined, is there a recommendation anyone thinks will fit my needs better? I’m not really in a position to buy and try a variety of gear, so I’m looking for direction from folks with more experience.
    Thanks

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagol View Post
    Requirements: netting off my face, comfort, easy to insulate. If I can use my exped UL downmat, even better. But the winter ability is honestly key as we get sub freezing weather 8 months a year. My home had sub 0 the end of May and my hiking areas had sub 0 a week ago.
    I hike in similar conditions that even in summer there can be sub zero (on rare occasions) weather. Back before I was using a hammock as a shelter I had an exped Synmat 9 LW as a pad for backbacking through the seasons with a tent. When I got in the hammocking I found out that I need a bridge hammock to fully enjoy the pads features so I bought the Draumr, which I can recommend based on your list of requirements. Your pad has to be the LW-kind it to work though.

I haven't tried the ridgerunner, but i'd imagine it would be easier to make it work in different temperature ratings. Too hot — remove the pad. Too cold — add a pad.

I have to add that my opinion on the Draumr is based on just few hangs with it. If there's anything bad to say about it is that if you have issues with your pad, you are going to still have them with the Draumr. Like condensation, overheating, noise.
    Last edited by jaape; 07-05-2019 at 07:35.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm guessing you still have the closed in feeling even though the HH is staked out of both side. If just the bug net is the issue, you could get a well made GE hammock from our "local" vendors here and add something like the HUG - a net that suspends on the hammock ridge line and covers your head area down to lower chest with the idea that the rest of you is inside a top quilt to sleeping bag.

With the spreader bars, a Ridge Runner will really keep the net away from your face. The penalty - if you can call it that - isn't so much a little extra weight as it is the requirement for trees to be further apart; in the 15 -17 ft range. For full storm coverage, you'll want a 13 ft tarp or at least 12 ft. BUT people seldom plan to go out (unless they are crazy like me) if they know a full storm is brew'n. With today's weather reporting, those things have more predictability.

The Ridge Runner will be a whole different feel from your GE. Before a couple days ago I'd say it was the best and the only reason I don't use it more is because my adventure partner uses it and I bring a GE so I don't have to find two pair of "bridge hammock" suitable trees. But for the lsst week I've been using a Bill Townsand Hybrid 1.2 and it is soooo nice. The 1.2 has just enough stretch without being spongy.

I'm suggesting that if "bug net too close to face" is the only issue, switching to a bridge hammock is a bit of an extreme - though not unpleasant (except for your wallet) solution.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Warbonnet hammocks keep the bug-net away from your face if you like gathered end hammocks.
    One reason I really like them in bug season.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm a big Warbonnet Ridgerunner fanboy so take what I say lightly but from a setup point of view you can't get an easier to setup hammock. The bottom insulation clips on at four corners and your done. If you want to supplement with a pad get the double layer and slide in a pad. You may have to experiment with different pads as they all affect the lay of the hammock. I tried a couple of pads and didn't like the feel so I just got a warmer bottom quilt to match the temps I would be hiking in. Many mention the distance difference required using a RR but to be honest this has never been an issue for me. Trees are rarely the perfect distance and the straps allow it to work at many distances. So this is a non issue in my opinion. The minute added weight is also a non issue for me but I'm a recreational hiker, not a professional So 5-8 miles a day is perfect for me and a lot of time at camp to play is always my plan. The comfort and ease of setup more than make up for the few ounces this hammock weights over a gathered end and the ability to see out of the hammock on both sides is an added bonus. There are a few who are to wide shouldered for this hammock so keep that in mind if you are a tall wide bodied individual.

Hammock
    Multiple
    If the bugnet is your only issue could an improvised tieout for the bugnet work? Attach one or two elastic cords to the bugnet (protrude it a bit add, a small stone to make it hold) and wire it through your hiking poles or stake straight to the ground.

Like this:
    2FEB78E3-7C85-48A2-A810-D4BD56067516.jpeg
    Last edited by jaape; 07-05-2019 at 12:27. Reason: Added image

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I am in total agreement with everything TrailSlug said. I am in my second season with a DL WBRR (with the Thunderfly tarp) and can honestly say it has reinvigorated my camping experience. I now sleep well every night and actually look forward to a nap or retiring at the end of the day. Last season I used a Klymit Status V pad underneath; this year I moved to a Ridgecreek XL 20d UQ and a 2QZQ UQ protector. Depending on the season, I use Hammock Gear Econ 20d Burrow or a Pine Down Blanket on top. I also have a Warbonnet Spindrift sock that I can use when needed. Everything is pretty much dialed in for me now, whether I am backpacking or canoe camping.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The Warbonnet hammocks keep the bug-net away from your face if you like gathered end hammocks.
    One reason I really like them in bug season.
    Shug
    Beat me to it. The warbonnet do well to keep the net away from your face.

Hammock
    Current: HH explorer
    Well, as per usual, the folks here are full of good advice and more options....
    Now I have more reading to do and more comparisons to make. Gives me something to do on a rainy day morning.

Thanks all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Ditto on what Trailslug said. I have been through many out there and my go-to is still my RR. Netting is high off your face and the view to either side is great. I had the carbon fiber spreader bars made to take some weight off.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast