Greyson Highland Loop Recommendation

Looking to take a Scout troop on their first hiking trip to the Highlands. Can anyone recommend a two-day loop for new hikers that is both tent (Gasp!) and Hammock friendly. Thanks in advance, the ole Hillbilly.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB TF
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch/Whoopie
    MANY times we've gone ascended around Grindstone to Thomas Knob first day then through Wise and ended the 2nd day at Old Orchard and it never gets old.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I think I shall never see a billboard as lovely as a tree.
    Perhaps, unless the billboards fall, I'll never see a tree at all. -- Ogden Nash

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Me and the wife just did this loop Sun-Tue: https://caltopo.com/m/L00N - Saw lots of ponies, long horned steer, a deer, and a couple of non-venomous snakes. Didn't see any signs of bear until we were driving out of the park and one crossed the road about halfway down between Massey Gap and the Welcome Center.

If you're looking for just 2 days then Thomas Knob Shelter and back (not a loop) would be about 4 miles each day with a couple of nice rock scrambles over a peak before Wiburn Ridge and over Wilburn Ridge (me and the wife made it over both and we're old). It would be more uphill on day 1 and more downhill on day 2 which is not a bad combination

There's a newer sign to a bear box in a big field on the way to Thomas Knob Shelter that would easily accommodate a large group (I think it is actually on be the Thomas Knob peak if I had to guess) but I don't know of what the water situation there is.

There's a also a bear box at Thomas Knob Shelter. The shelter itself has two floors and could easily hold at least 16 scouts. Water can be found a short ways down the hill behind the shelter. There are several campsites around the shelter. Some are on the open side of the hill and some are back in the woods. They start anywhere from 50yds before the shelter to past the shelter. Not sure if there's one particular site that would accommodate a large group so I'd be prepared to have the adults split up to different sites with the scouts. We also had regular pony visits 50yds past the shelter.

Out and Back would look like this: https://caltopo.com/m/UP7T (Click on the graph icon next to the Line "Thomas Knob" on the left to see the elevation changes)

Another option would be going to the Wise Shelter. Big Wilson Creek is about 600ft past the shelter. There is a bridge over the creek and right across from the bridge you will see a "trail" going up a small hill. There's a large field with plenty of space for tenting and hammocking and some fire pits. The bear boxes are at the Shelter and the creek has lots of easy access for wading, etc. We also had regular pony visits around that field. Another good thing about this loop is that you will pass very close to the State Park campground so if you had any scouts that just couldn't make it any farther they could wait there while someone went ahead to get the van and you could easily pick them up.
    That loop would look like this: https://caltopo.com/m/68RG

Thank you all for the recommendations1

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chknbone View Post
    I concur on this route. There are plenty of sites where his red and blue lines meet (36.6551, -81.5257) and there is a water spring both at Thomas knob shelter and at 36.6541, -81.5237. Then follow on around and spend night 2 at the Wise shelter. This is a great trip.

Jeff

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Below is an almost 19 mile loop that I do a lot. Several good places to camp with water.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...s-fall-loop--2

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    The route chknbone described is the route that The Adventure Archives crew just released a full video on just today.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Brings back many memories. Done this loop a couple of times as well as the AT thru the highlands. As usual, weather is always a challenge at Grayson.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts