Underquilt in .... THINSULATE CS150 INSULATED WADDING IT50-WHITE

Hello fellow hammockers

thanks to this amazing I built back in 2015 hammocks, bugnet, black bishop bag, and giant tarp
    (couldn't find my previous login anymore)

what I was missing was... an under quilt!
    though I mostly go bike touring on a Brompton (British foldable bike) in France, Belgium, & Germany so in summer it doesn't really get cold.

I modified my "picnic blanket" on which I had sewn coated polyester, to have bungee cords and it worked pretty well.

but I'd like to change and have more a 3 season under quilt

however I'm allergic to feathers, cat/dog hair so looking into alternative.

Being in Europe I get all my fabrics, buckles etc... from Point North in the UK and I stumbled upon this thinsulate wadding.
    I know nothing about ratings says it's :
    65% Olefin / 35% Polyester.
    Thickness: 1.05 linear cm
    Warmth: 1.9 CLO Value
    Weight: 174 gsm (grammes per square metre)

If I doubled it up, how low could I go in terms of temperatures ???

fabric is here
    https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...ulated-wadding
    factory details here:
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...42462909914383

thank you very much for your help

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I do not have any of that Thisulate, nor am I an expert, but I will tell you what I would do. First, it is Thinsulate so it is probably a great product. I have done this with Climateshield bought from Dutchware that may be similar, though thicker. I sew full size synthetic underquilts, so mine is 10 foot 6 inches long by 57 inches wide and basically covers the entire bottom of my 11 foot hammock. I sewed UQ connections on my hammock at the head and feet and it never slips. There is a lot of extra material, though as I said it does not slide out or around.
    All of this is besides the point. I made mine with 2.5 Climateshield and I found it to be cold for me, so I opened it up and added another layer, which is not that hard to do if you sew. Now it works great and I know how much insulation it takes for me to stay warm at a certain temperature range (40-60 f). You may have to experiment to find what works for you.

I'm a cold sleeper, so I wouldn't go under 10 C. with that. If you leave a pocket for easy addition of extra insulation, you can figure out what you need on the fly and still be warm.

CD

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    The ambient temperature at which your body will be at thermal equilibrium depends on the rate of heat generation per unit area P and the thermal insulance of the clothing R. Using formulas and values I found during a brief web search this morning, the ambient temperature (in Centigrade) is calculated by:

T = (31 - 0.155*P*R) where P is the average heat generated by the human body per square meter and R is the CLO value

P varies based on activity and average values appear to be:
    P(sleep) = 48, P(rest) = 60, P(slow walk) = 120, and P(fast walk) = 180 (units are W/m^2, and units for CLO are C M^2/W)

so putting it together, the ambient temperature that you should be comfortable while sleeping in a double layer of Thinsulate is:

T= 31-0.155*P(sleep)*R(2layers) = (31-0.155*48*(2*1.9))) = 2.7C (or 36.9F for us Americans)

Caveat: this assumes an UQ and TQ of same thickness and no wind

there is your answer, you can get down to about 3C. theoretically, anyway. this has been a fun distraction, now back to work!!
    Last edited by wienerman; 07-03-2019 at 09:41.

Thanks Fishbite, indeed building my own gear is my way to test out ideas, add extra features here and there and more importantly being able to change it over time as I test things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I do not have any of that Thisulate, nor am I an expert, but I will tell you what I would do. First, it is Thinsulate so it is probably a great product. I have done this with Climateshield bought from Dutchware that may be similar, though thicker. I sew full size synthetic underquilts, so mine is 10 foot 6 inches long by 57 inches wide and basically covers the entire bottom of my 11 foot hammock. I sewed UQ connections on my hammock at the head and feet and it never slips. There is a lot of extra material, though as I said it does not slide out or around.
    All of this is besides the point. I made mine with 2.5 Climateshield and I found it to be cold for me, so I opened it up and added another layer, which is not that hard to do if you sew. Now it works great and I know how much insulation it takes for me to stay warm at a certain temperature range (40-60 f). You may have to experiment to find what works for you.
    Thanks Crunchydirt I was thinking of maybe a baffle system between the layers to see if that could bring some warmth as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchydirt View Post
    I'm a cold sleeper, so I wouldn't go under 10 C. with that. If you leave a pocket for easy addition of extra insulation, you can figure out what you need on the fly and still be warm.

CD
    Wow Wienerman I didn't quite get it all but sounded like you had a blast making that calculation!
    and special thanks for taking the time to do it in Celsius!

Quote Originally Posted by wienerman View Post
    The ambient temperature at which your body will be at thermal equilibrium depends on the rate of heat generation per unit area P and the thermal insulance of the clothing R. Using formulas and values I found during a brief web search this morning, the ambient temperature (in Centigrade) is calculated by:

T = (31 - 0.155*P*R) where P is the average heat generated by the human body per square meter and R is the CLO value

P varies based on activity and average values appear to be:
    P(sleep) = 48, P(rest) = 60, P(slow walk) = 120, and P(fast walk) = 180 (units are W/m^2, and units for CLO are C M^2/W)

so putting it together, the ambient temperature that you should be comfortable while sleeping in a double layer of Thinsulate is:

T= 31-0.155*P(sleep)*R(2layers) = (31-0.155*48*(2*1.9))) = 2.7C (or 36.9F for us Americans)

Caveat: this assumes an UQ and TQ of same thickness and no wind

there is your answer, you can get down to about 3C. theoretically, anyway. this has been a fun distraction, now back to work!!

Wild question when working with synthetic UQ have people tried out baffle between layers (so between layers of thinsulate here) but also between the layer of thinsulate and the out fabric. This gives several compartments for different temperatures of trapped air.
    between outer shell and 1st layer, between the two layers, and between second layer and the fabric just below the hammock.

always fun to let our minds run and think of new ways!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    People sort of do the several compartments by layering quilts, but not sewing them together. So using a 20 degree F and a 40 degree F underquilt both at the same time. Just an idea, though you could make three separate 1-layer quilts, each with their own suspension. Then you can layer as needed or share quilts with others. Not to push my own opinions too much, but I would make full length underquilts (10.5 feet long with 3 inch shock cord loop at the end for an 11 foot hammock) to make it easy to use and stay centered for both you and maybe new hammockers, if I were to sew more underquilts.
    I should add if you make it full length, you need to add shockcord on the sides to keep the sides in. This helps make a very nice pocket underneath though that is not compressed.

I am looking to make a full length UQ to start with. I'm quite tall 6"2 (1.92meters) it's gonna be a long one!
    I saw in Shugs winter camping video where he layers a number of sleep systems, though we don't get that kind of weather here.
    Layering is a good option down the line.
    I'll start with two layers of thinsulate and see where that gets me.

looking at skylon for the shell in order to have a lightweight breathable fabric.
    and yes I'm comparing all sorts of suspension, primary, secondary, grosgrain loops along the length to tie to the hammock etc... and seeing what seems to work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    People sort of do the several compartments by layering quilts, but not sewing them together. So using a 20 degree F and a 40 degree F underquilt both at the same time. Just an idea, though you could make three separate 1-layer quilts, each with their own suspension. Then you can layer as needed or share quilts with others. Not to push my own opinions too much, but I would make full length underquilts (10.5 feet long with 3 inch shock cord loop at the end for an 11 foot hammock) to make it easy to use and stay centered for both you and maybe new hammockers, if I were to sew more underquilts.
    I should add if you make it full length, you need to add shockcord on the sides to keep the sides in. This helps make a very nice pocket underneath though that is not compressed.

• + New Posts