Question Chameleon top cover dilemma

I basically have three options:

Blemished top cover with integrated sidecar in mesh - 175g (cheapest)

Top cover with integrated sidecar in Hexion 1.0 - 160.5g

Moonlight top cover + seperate side sling - 205.2g + 110g (most expensive)

My initial though was to get the mesh top cover but I wonder if I would ever use it. It's not often I am too hot (am in New Zealand so the climate is temperate, 30c max in summer) so generally I will want the wind cutting ability of the Hexion top cover.

When then takes me to the middle option. It's only slightly more expensive. Surprisingly it's almost the same wight. Worth noting that I already have a Chameleon + this top cover (second one if for my son) so buying two of the exact same top covers reduces options and will only be used when he comes with me.

So then I think I should get the delux option. The moonlight top cover is better vented so I doubt I would ever be too hot. You can close it up when it's cold. You can save 50g by leaving the moonlight bit behind. A sidesling seems better than the sidecar (doesn't hang as low) and I have the option of using it with my other top cover for double storage. But...this options is bloody expensive at almost twice the price of the blemished mesh top cover. It's also bloody heavy because you have the weight of the extra zip that the top cover with integrated sidecar doesn't have.

I guess I wish they just made a moonlight top cover with integrated to side sling and everything was on sale. Dreams are free.

Some questions that would help me decide:

Has anyone ever been too hot or humid in the asym top cover?

Do people with the moonlight top cover think it's worth getting over the normal one?

tldr; which top cover for Chameleon?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Comfort/ Convenience/ Versatility/ and Dutchware Quality makes the deluxe worth every gram...

Cut the weight elsewhere.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hey there landcruiserguy, l use a moonlight symmetrical TC being used again this winter. I have it for the most part completely zipped up and can't say l am ever really too hot or stuffy, there are on the occasions l will vent by in zipping from above when wet weather is in play and the temperature raises a little. I am happy with moonlight TC.

Images
    The mesh option isn't really directly comparable to a solid top cover. It's basically a bugnet with an integrated sidecar.

Normally the top covers and the Sidecars or Sideslings are made from Argon 90, so while I'm not doubting you, I'm curious where you're seeing one that is made from Hexon 1.0.

The Argon fabric is more than 2x the price of mesh, which is part of the reason why those options are more expensive.

I can't say what's best for you, but I agree that buying a duplicate of something you already have reduces your options somewhat. I have 2 Chameleon systems, one for me and one for my wife, and they are outfitted the same just with different colors. We each have a Chameleon body, symmetric bugnet, symmetric moonlight top cover, and Sidecar. I like the modularity of being able to use the bugnet (most of the time) and having the option to swap it out with the solid top cover when it makes sense. The Sidecar stays on most of the time, but being able to remove that entirely when it's not needed is also nice. So I guess if I was to vote on your options, I'd go for the 3rd option.

Sidecar vs Sidesling: I do have 1 Sidesling in addition to the matching setup my wife and I have with Sidecars. In my opinion, they each have advantages. The Sidecar is better for storing large items like a jacket, shoes, topquilt, etc. The Sidesling is better for smaller items like a headlamp, book, eyeglasses, water bottle, etc.

Depth of Sidecar: If you want to make it shallower, you can connect the D-rings at the inside bottom of the Sidecar to the D-rings inside the hammock. This kind of divides the Sidecar into 2 pockets and makes it roughly half as deep as it would normally be. There's no way to make the Sidesling any deeper, so I give a slight edge to the Sidecar for versatility.

Thanks for all the replies. @cmc4free yes I did get the fabric wrong.

@Cabbo, I suspect thats also true for the asym top cover even though it's got less mesh. I don't think I need a mesh bug net \ top cover at this stage. At least I didn't when I used the chameleon in autumn.

@cmc4free Thanks for pointing out how to divide the sidecar. If I get the seperate side sling then I can also add that to my existing top cover with integrated sidecar for mega storage delux. The big weak point about hammock camping is storage so I am a big fan of the side sling\car.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruiserguy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. @cmc4free yes I did get the fabric wrong.

@Cabbo, I suspect thats also true for the asym top cover even though it's got less mesh. I don't think I need a mesh bug net \ top cover at this stage. At least I didn't when I used the chameleon in autumn.

@cmc4free Thanks for pointing out how to divide the sidecar. If I get the seperate side sling then I can also add that to my existing top cover with integrated sidecar for mega storage delux. The big weak point about hammock camping is storage so I am a big fan of the side sling\car.
    I dunno what the insect situation is like in New Zealand, but the bugs in PA tend to be far less active in the autumn than spring/summer. That's when bugnets are worth their (admittedly negligible) weight in gold. I've got that mesh top-cover with integrated sidecar, and I use it pretty much year round. It's porous enough to allow sufficient ventilation in the summer, but it does manage to retain a small amount of heat when camping in cooler temps. Certainly not as much insulation as a proper winter top-cover, but also dramatically less likely to experience condensation issues.

If you're looking for further storage options, consider a gear hammock. They're easily fashioned out of a variety of materials, and can be hung both outside your hammock or directly from your ridgeline.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    I dunno what the insect situation is like in New Zealand, but the bugs in PA tend to be far less active in the autumn than spring/summer. That's when bugnets are worth their (admittedly negligible) weight in gold. I've got that mesh top-cover with integrated sidecar, and I use it pretty much year round. It's porous enough to allow sufficient ventilation in the summer, but it does manage to retain a small amount of heat when camping in cooler temps. Certainly not as much insulation as a proper winter top-cover, but also dramatically less likely to experience condensation issues.

If you're looking for further storage options, consider a gear hammock. They're easily fashioned out of a variety of materials, and can be hung both outside your hammock or directly from your ridgeline.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. The insect situation in NZ (South Island) is that we have millions and millions of sandflys (which I think you know as blackflies). We have some mosquitoes in summer but not millions like other parts of the world.

Re the net. I have had a bug net hammock for years (hennessy) and have always been happy with it. In rough weather I just pull the tarp in as tight as possible. I have only used the chameleon with top cover twice but it just struck me as a better system because I didn't overheat and it cuts the wind on windy days. I just haven't used it enough to know if thats true all year around.

Same deal with the gear hammock. I have one of those (sea to summit) and it's great but two major downsides make me think the side car\sling is a better option. The first problem is that it's heavy and the second is that the suspension hangs against your underquilt and creates cold spots. Admitidly this might not be an issue with one that hangs off the ridgeline.

Hi, just wanted you all to know that I have ordered the moonlight top cover and seperate side sling (both in camo). I have delayed the purchase of the spreader bar, double dutch bug net and a couple of small things like the storager pocket and peak shelf. I am praying for a sale before black friday.

Quote Originally Posted by landcruiserguy View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. The insect situation in NZ (South Island) is that we have millions and millions of sandflys (which I think you know as blackflies). We have some mosquitoes in summer but not millions like other parts of the world.

Sandflies are commonly called Noseeums here. Just to confuse things even more, a lot of folks refer to Blackflies as Gnats. Gnats don't bite, Blackflies definitely draw blood. Then it gets even more confusing because one particular species of Blackflies (there are more than a dozen) is known by the common name "Buffalo Gnat" referring to the humped back like a Bison, which aren't buffaloes at all.

You have to love how common names add to the confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Sandflies are commonly called Noseeums here. Just to confuse things even more, a lot of folks refer to Blackflies as Gnats. Gnats don't bite, Blackflies definitely draw blood. Then it gets even more confusing because one particular species of Blackflies (there are more than a dozen) is known by the common name "Buffalo Gnat" referring to the humped back like a Bison, which aren't buffaloes at all.

You have to love how common names add to the confusion!
    Yep, we have these birds that live in coastal areas and eat the odd fish called shags. Everyone else calls them cormorants (I think).

Ours definitely do bite and there are millions but on the whole they are not that bad. There are no diseases spread by them. They are slow flyers so don't bother you while walking and they are not active at night so you can still chill out around the camp fire. I have had enough exposure that the bite's don't really bother me is it's just slightly annoying while you are getting bitten.

Mozzies on the other hand. We don't have many but when we do I am not used to them so itching for a week afterwards. They are active at night when you are chilling out enjoying the lack of sandflys. In short, they suck.

• + New Posts