Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Pinning and sewing a Climashield quilt

I'm trying to sew a Climashield quilt. I have cut and hemmed the quilt fabric, and I have cut the Climashield. But for the life of me, I fail at sewing both together. The fabric always twists and turns when sewing. I have tried basting the layers together. I have tried pinning them with needles. I have tried clipping them. Nothing keeps the layers in place for a seam longer than 10" or so. Is there maybe a hack? I'm at my wit's end.

In case this is important: it's an underquilt, so it is important that the layers are somewhat even. Otherwise there will be cold spots.

I sewed a Climashield UQ this winter. Very successfully, I think. Not elegant, but certainly effective.
    I spent some time adjusting the tension to get it even. That helped.
    Eventually, I ended up sewing without pinning or basting. I just got the runs of fabric straight with lots of room to run, and no tension on the loose fabric, either in front of or behind the needle or machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Have you tired the tissue paper tick to make the fabric less slippery?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Tissue paper would not help, since the three layers move against each other. When the quilt is lying on the floor, the pin-job looks OKish, but when I lift it up, carry it to the sewing machine, put it under the presser foot and start sewing, the upper fabric starts twisting against the Climashield, and the longer the seam gets, the worse it looks. I stopped sewing when several folds developed. I keep thinking that I need more and better pins. But pushing them in and out of three layers already twists everything. I would try magnets if I could prevent them from sticking to the neighbouring pairs of magnets... "Needle rivets" would be great, if there is something like that.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Sew the two shells together- then sew those to the apex.

I had trouble with my first home sewing machine... that was the only great solution.

Using the tissue paper/newspaper helps the foot slide on the Apex but won't fix your issue.

Pulling tension on the piece and letting the machine pull it through helps too. Some will tell you not to do that; but it works.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You mean sew a pocket and then put the Climashield in? I have trouble getting everything to fit. I'm afraid that it would make a bad situation worse, because I'm sure in the end the Climashield is either too big or to small to fit. I have already cut more off than I like, because the edges weren't straight. * Scared *

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    You mean sew a pocket and then put the Climashield in? I have trouble getting everything to fit. I'm afraid that it would make a bad situation worse, because I'm sure in the end the Climashield is either too big or to small to fit. I have already cut more off than I like, because the edges weren't straight. * Scared *
    No-

The slippery part is the two shells... compounded by the apex.

Assuming you are doing a standard stack of fabric, fabric, apex. You planned to sew three edges and leave an opening in the center of the fourth... turn and finish.

All I'm saying is sew the two shell layers together first.... all by themselves.

Then pin the apex on and sew the Apex to the shells.

Turn and finish as normal.

Many home machines simply don't have enough foot pressure to keep the layers together as it feeds once you add the thickness of the apex.
    My first machine was that way and I had similar trouble.... rather than keep fighting I just sewed the shells first as described- then added the Apex.
    This is extra problematic with the thicker Apex weights folks like to use. For me 3.6 was the most I would ever use. I could sew that on my second machine after I upgraded but to be fair I was also using my hands to flatten it and help feed it. It was debatable if I was sewing or simply smashing the material through the machine.

You can pin it across (rather than inline) for better results as well... while easier to pull the pins if they are parallel to your stitching... perpendicular pins will slip less.

At some point you put so many pins it it's faster and easier to just sew it twice in my opinion.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    I agree with Just Bill. I have made three Apex UQs plus 5 TQs with Apex from 2.5 to 6 oz with a standard sewing machine (no walking foot or special features). Much easier to sew the two slippery fabrics together and then add the Apex. Attached are some instructions from Dutch's website which may help you visualize it better.

https://dutchwaregear.com/2016/06/09...ld-underquilt/

Hope this helps.

Good Luck. Nancy

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks. My machine actually seems to sew the 4oz Climashield OK. I practised with scraps first, and that worked alright. But these were only short seams.

I first tried to sew just one half of the shell to the Climashield. I folded the fabric around the edges so that the sewing machine would not come into direct contact with the Climashield. But I could simply not keep the Climashield in place.

I'll give the pocket approach a try. But this still leaves one side open, which will give me trouble. Any advice for this?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I just read the instructions on Dutch's site. If I understand it correctly, he suggests to sew all three layers together inside out. However I thought that Just Bill advised first sewing together only the shell inside out, then turning it outside, and then stuffing the Climashield into the empty shell (like putting a cover on a pillow) and sewing over all three layers. Did I get this wrong?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast