Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

First Chameleon and Experience

First of all, i want to thank Dutch and the lady who answered all my annoying email questions. I was weighing the Pros and Cons of each model and getting confused and mixed up with all of them. Money is tight and i was afraid of buying something that i wouldnt like in the end, and so wanted to take the least possible loss.
    In the end, i decided to buy the Wide Chameleon without any add ons.
    It came just in time for this weekends excursion to our RV property.
    This thing is magic.
    I currently own a few XLCs and they are comy and its only been in the last few outings that i have found their sweet spot. And i thought that felt amazing !
    Little did i know that those extra 6" would make such a difference ( yeah yeah. Get your mind back on track).
    Im probably about 18-19" wide at the shoulders and 240lbs and think i must have been pushing the XLCs size limits. Although really comfortable, it took quite a bit of time to get set just right. With the Chameleon, it was less than 30 seconds.
    ZERO calf ridge. No shoulder squeeze. Packs to about 1/3 the size of my XLC Double.
    Upon setting it up, i quickly got in and found the sweet spot right awayi actually TRIED to find calf ridge and it was difficult to do. With the tie outs, the footbox was actually bigger than the XLC and i had a lot more wiggle room. I also noticed that i had a flatter lay, and could side sleep much easier.
    The mosquitos are usually really bad, and i took a chance ordering the Chameleon without the net. I almost never want to go back. The breeze was steady and cool as i laid down to sleep later in the evening. I had my HG Burrow set up and the UQ clips kept it in place all night. No UQ adjustments whatsoever. I did notice that my old adjustments with the adjustment cords on the Burrow had to be almost completely loosened because it seemed to 'tighten' the fit in the hammock. Undoing them almost completely made it feel like it was when the quilt wasnt put on. Im guessing thats because of th different lay angle.
    I was asleep within 5 minutes of closing my eyes and slept a solid 10.5 hours !
    NEVER done that before. I always seem to wake up at about the 4 to 6 hour mark to re-adjust my lay. Not this time. I never thought it could be THIS good and im glad i listened to the Schill Brothers when they said they wanted to try the Chameleon in the Wide size.
    I wanted to thank Dutch for such a quality product and the patience of the woman who answered all my questions. You guys go above and beyond.
    Last edited by Immortalviking; 07-01-2019 at 06:28. Reason: Apparently 'Dam n' is a swear word

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    great review, thanks for sharing. This is on my Wife's wish list!

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Hammock comfort is all relative & there are allegiances to certain cottage vendors that iv'e witnessed. For over a year i bought and demoed with an unbiased approach the best of the best hammocks from the cottage vendor to the big box store. It was an expensive research project but it landed me in the hammocks that truly works for me. Those hammocks that gave me the most comfort as well as function was the Dutchware nettless , half zipped & chameleon. Full time sleeper in my netless at home, the half zipped is for day trips or simple overnights & the chameleon ..swiss army of hammocks does the heavy lifting for all other pursuits. My hammock search has ended .
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You're lucky. My bank account and wife wouldnt let me buy that many. Thats why i do obsessive research before i buy something. Most of the people told me to go with the wide, but i am right on that cusp height wise. I was afraid there would be too much loose fabric. Not the case with the Wide model.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the review. I started with the BB. I had calf ridge issues. Switched to the Dream Hammock Raven and that is now gone and super comfortable. However, a few small things are bothering me with it. I hope the Chameleon solves every issue. I am lucky enough to live 1.5 hours from Dutch, so I am personally headed there to check the hammock out in person in the different fabrics.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have a few hammocks, and the reason I always grab my chameleon is due to the Hexon 1.6 fabric. It's the most comfortable, soft yet firm fabric out of my hammock quiver

Hammock
    Yukon Vista
    Tarp
    DW 12' Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econs
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Just ordered a Chameleon. Not the wide version though as I am on the shorter side. 1.6 hexon due to being on the heavy side. Cant wait for it to get here so I can try it out.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.7
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Why does your height effect wether or not to get a wide hammock? And what are the numbers? I'm 6-1 205-210 lbs. so how is the 1.6 hexon working out for you? Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post
    Why does your height effect wether or not to get a wide hammock? And what are the numbers? I'm 6-1 205-210 lbs. so how is the 1.6 hexon working out for you? Thanks.
    Width and length determine the diagonal lay length, and therefore how flat the lay... along with material stretch.

I'm 5-9/165 and wanted a 10' Darien, and the Smurfs recommended a 64" width, which has worked out perfectly for me. I find that Robic 1.7 (my first Darien) is extremely comfortable for me, and the Robic 1.2 for my second Darien (same dimensions) is also quite comfortable and a bit lighter. I luv both of 'em.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Love my double 1.6 chameleon wide. It took 4 hammocks till I finally caved to the “hype” and ordered one. I like a stiffer lay due to some back issues and it is without a doubt the one for me. I’ve never slept so well in a hammock and that includes a ridge runner. It’s nice to have gone down the long road of finding the right one. Ya learn a bunch. But I’m done. And sleepin great in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts