Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: under quilt

under quilt

I'm looking to buy a underquilt for my XXL hennesy hamock.

I'd like to grab one from amazon.ca but I'm worried about it fitting properly.

Can anyone recommend something from amazon?

I'm looking for a 3 seasons UQ

Thanks

If you're set on buying specifically from Amazon, ignore the rest of this post. Otherwise, here are some alternatives, one of which I've tried myself on my Exped.

- Hennessy's own SuperShelter might be viable, depending on temps you expect to use it in. If memory serves, they'll often go on sale around October on Hennessy's website if you can wait that long (or you could get it now, of course). While probably not as good as the other two choices below, the SS does work in mild to cool temperatures, or it did for me.

- Arrowhead Equipment makes synthetic underquilts (Potomac model) designed to fit the Hennessy and work with the tie-outs.

- Jacks R Better makes the Nest, a down underquilt purpose built for Hennessy hammocks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    If you're set on buying specifically from Amazon, ignore the rest of this post. Otherwise, here are some alternatives, one of which I've tried myself on my Exped.

- Hennessy's own SuperShelter might be viable, depending on temps you expect to use it in. If memory serves, they'll often go on sale around October on Hennessy's website if you can wait that long (or you could get it now, of course). While probably not as good as the other two choices below, the SS does work in mild to cool temperatures, or it did for me.

- Arrowhead Equipment makes synthetic underquilts (Potomac model) designed to fit the Hennessy and work with the tie-outs.

- Jacks R Better makes the Nest, a down underquilt purpose built for Hennessy hammocks.
    thanks for the info... I checked out arrow head and holy those are expensive!

So the issue with UQ's and the hennessy is the side tie outs?

I have the Potomac and when it's set up correctly (there's a learning curve) that thing is toasty!

Quote Originally Posted by bushmonkey35 View Post

So the issue with UQ's and the hennessy is the side tie outs?

It was for me, yes. Using the pullouts on the Hennessy opens the hammock up nicely but pulls it away from an underquilt that's suspended only from the ends. The Super Shelter solves that problem by having the pullouts go through loops to make the shelter portion conform to the shape of the hammock. I've also tried something similar with a PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) by punching a small hole in the PLUQ and running the hammock tieouts through that hole, again to make the thing conform to the shape of the hammock better. If you forgo the tie outs, then it's easier to get any rectangular underquilt to fit without gaps but it changes somewhat the lay of the hammock. Whether that affects the comfort of it is, once more, an individual preference. Some people don't use the tie outs but I found them useful, hence my preference for the Super Shelter, at least down to about the 40s F.

My unsolicited advice would be that if you're determined to buy something off Amazon, be prepared to modify it by adding some attachment point so you can run the tie outs through the attachment and help pull the quilt up against the bottom of the hammock, or be prepared to not use the tie outs. Modding it will change the shape of the under quilt and might interfere with its stock suspension, so you may end up causing other issues. That's why I'd suggest the Super Shelter for mild temperatures. If you're going to hang in colder temps, I'd spend the money on one of the purpose made under quilts.

As a stop gap measure, you could make a PLUQ and supplement with a pad in the hammock, but that's bulky if you're backpacking.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Kammock Roo, HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HeX
    Insulation
    EE 20* TQ & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dynex Cinch Buckle
    I tend to use a gathered end hammock in the winter due to it being more UQ friendly, and my Henny in the summer when i need bug protection.
    "Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Unknown

Hammock
    Multiple
    Hennessy's supershelter does fit nicely for Hennessy hammocks. The open cell foam pad however is no good for 3 season usage. It depends how cold it gets. In Finland it doesn't even cover summer use. I just slept 5 nights with it and two of those I barely slept as it was so cold (few degrees above freezing).

About using an underquilt. There was a post earlier here (by bitti), who bought an underquilt for his Hennessy. Just few days ago I asked how his underquilt has faired and he is still happy with it. He's using the tieouts and doesn't have problems with it.

Given that Henessey's hammocks force you to a lay direction anyway, it might be worth considering something like the SLD asym underquilt: the asymmetrical insulation might work better with the tie-outs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    Hennessy's supershelter does fit nicely for Hennessy hammocks. The open cell foam pad however is no good for 3 season usage. It depends how cold it gets. In Finland it doesn't even cover summer use. I just slept 5 nights with it and two of those I barely slept as it was so cold (few degrees above freezing).

About using an underquilt. There was a post earlier here (by bitti), who bought an underquilt for his Hennessy. Just few days ago I asked how his underquilt has faired and he is still happy with it. He's using the tieouts and doesn't have problems with it.
    I'm curious, did you use the 2 oz space blanket on top of the open cell foam pad as recommended by HH? ( that is, if you are using the older HHSS that has been sold for at least 12+ years, they have come out with a new system, and I know little about it, except it is different)

The space blanket(on top of all insulation) can make or break this system, and often people are reluctant to use it.

Since my first hammock backpack to the high Rockies in 2006, I have used(on and off, sometimes use UQs or PeaPods or rarely even pads) the HHSS, with the basic system working OK for me down into the 30s, near freezing, even if the tarp is not blocking the wind well. Or even not using a tarp at all. The HHSS under cover takes care of blocking wind quite well for me. Some folks have been OK lower than the 30s, but that has always been about it for me.(and of course, some others can not get below 40F)

With a few oz of augmentation( the 3 - 4 oz kidney/torso pads) added under the pad I set my personal best, toasty at +6F. (other times I have augmented with unworn clothing under the HH pad, rsulting in a big boost in warmth to well below the 30s). Years ago, kwpapke, on a winter MN backpack with Shug, set his personal best with an augmented HHSS, warm at minus 27F. I believe his primary augmentation was a summer down bag under the HH pad. Naturally, at minus 27F, way below the HHSS's intended range.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pershelter-27F

There is usually a BIG sale in October as Sidney mentioned, but I'm not sure it is every year.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm curious, did you use the 2 oz space blanket on top of the open cell foam pad as recommended by HH? ( that is, if you are using the older HHSS that has been sold for at least 12+ years, they have come out with a new system, and I know little about it, except i
    The space blanket(on top of all insulation) can make or break this system, and often people are reluctant to use it.
    I have the new system which is basically just the ocf pad. There's no waterproof layer below the hammock. I tried the space blanket only once. Below the pad as currently recommended by Hennessy. That was when I felt the coldest ever inside my hammocks. The space blanket collected a lot of water and made the ocf pad damp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast