Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: under quilt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    I have the new system which is basically just the ocf pad. There's no waterproof layer below the hammock. I tried the space blanket only once. Below the pad as currently recommended by Hennessy. That was when I felt the coldest ever inside my hammocks. The space blanket collected a lot of water and made the ocf pad damp.
    OK, that explains a lot. I had a discussion about this with HH when this new system came out. I did not quite understand how it would work, as it was sort of an opposite approach from their old system. Naturally, the space blanket also acts as a vapor barrier(VB), and on the old system so did the wind and water proof under cover. VBs work best when they are kept warm, close to the body. If they get cold, condensation is naturally going to occur, almost every time. Body moisture hits that cold surface, and normally condenses, and gets your insulation wet.

With the old(still available?) system, the outer layer was wind and water proof, as well as a VB. The space blanket was on top of the pad, reducing evaporative cooling off of my body, and being kept warm inside of all of the insulation, and greatly preventing the ability of any body moisture to contact the cold outer VB and condense. And since it is kept warm, many of us had little to no condensation problems. I never did.

This is what I was concerned about with the new system. If you place the space blanket on top of the pad, you will not have a wind and water proof layer outside the pad protecting it, as I understand the outer layer is now breathable? So cold air can just blow right throught that brathable OCF pad. But, it might still be better than what you have been experiencing. I'm not sure what the point of the outer breathable layer is if used with the space blanket, which is not breathable?

Oh wait, I just remembered: they also said they had some sort of new breathable space blanket that was going to come with the system? Is that what you are supposed to have? It is all too complex for me, I will just stick with the tried and true older system. Hopefully, you have let them know how poorly the new system is working for you. Maybe they will let you return it, I hope so. I hope this is not a case of fixing what aint broke. Maybe they had so many folks demanding a breathable system, this is what they tried to come up with while still using their pad?

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh wait, I just remembered: they also said they had some sort of new breathable space blanket that was going to come with the system? Is that what you are supposed to have? It is all too complex for me, I will just stick with the tried and true older system. Hopefully, you have let them know how poorly the new system is working for you. Maybe they will let you return it, I hope so. I hope this is not a case of fixing what aint broke. Maybe they had so many folks demanding a breathable system, this is what they tried to come up with while still using their pad?
    Yes I saw the discussion about the breathable layer and I asked them before ordering about it. It was just the plain old emergency blanket. Which was a bit disappointing.
    I ended up selling the hammock as there were too many issues I wanted to fix. I however kept the ocf-pad as even if it's not the most insulative it is really comfortable. I plan to use it during summer if it's warm enough outside and during winter supplementing an underquilt.
    They should just sell the pad as it is for people to use it in a hammock of their choosing. Calling it a system is far fetched.
    Sorry this went bit offtopic.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    Yes I saw the discussion about the breathable layer and I asked them before ordering about it. It was just the plain old emergency blanket. Which was a bit disappointing.
    I ended up selling the hammock as there were too many issues I wanted to fix. I however kept the ocf-pad as even if it's not the most insulative it is really comfortable. I plan to use it during summer if it's warm enough outside and during winter supplementing an underquilt.
    They should just sell the pad as it is for people to use it in a hammock of their choosing. Calling it a system is far fetched.
    Sorry this went bit offtopic.
    Sorry to hear you had that bad experience. When I heard about the new system, there were several things about it that I questioned. If your experience is typical, then my questions were valid. Of course, there were always some folks who had no success with the original HHSS(as well as quite a few of us who liked it). But I often felt that was due to user error, and not understanding how the system worked. That does not appear to be the case with you and the new system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12