Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I read online today somewhere that the military has a method for training personell to fall asleep within 10 seconds to 60 seconds.
    Guard duty!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There must be something wrong with me. The only thing I am sometimes scared of, depending on the situation, is other humans. Or actually: male humans. However, only if I'm stealth hanging (camping outside of campsites or private property is forbidden in most European countries - so I'm extra vigilant when I hear human noises), or if somebody isn't where they shouldn't be (i.e. way too close to my sleeping place). I don't know why, but I'm not scared of animals when I'm in my hammock. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely that I get attacked while just lying in my hammock. I have a lot more respect when I'm the one moving. One time, while hiking in a fairly dense forest in the US, I got scared because there were no animal noises whatsoever for about 20 minutes. It sounded as if all small creatures were holding their breath because they were scared of some large animal...

At night, I actually enjoy listening to all the animal sounds. It's kind of a nature movie in my head. I don't sleep the same way as I do at home, because my ears are scanning the surroundings constantly and I'm never completely unconscious. But I'm actually way more rested after a night like that, than after a normal night at home. I don't like sleeping with ear plugs or next to running water because I feel kind of blind. Maybe just ask yourself what you are afraid of exactly. Humans? Animals? What are the chances that anybody or anything will actually harm you? I'm way more afraid of having a car accident on my way to my hiking destination.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Well...it could be that there are actually things to be afraid of...but not likely. I think Shug is on the right track. Get used to being alone in the dark by sitting quietly and just listening. Don’t automatically turn on your light, and you’ll soon get used to letting all your senses tell you what is actually around you. I would also suggest doing some night navigation exercises in a semi controlled area without using a light. Knowing you can get somewhere in the dark without relying on light does a great deal to boost your confidence.

I am most afraid of people and not animals. Choose stealth sites to camp and 99% of the time you will have nothing to worry about.

Its probably all the bad Movies out there making people scared of everything. ��
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    I take a tranquil sleep aid and zip my top cover shut and don’t worry about much. If you put in the time and focusing on relaxing it will become normal. It’s similar to forming a habit in two weeks, you’ll fight any change until you form the habit. I stopped carrying bear spray because the areas I go their hunted and don’t want anything to do with humans. In parks I would have bear spray because the bears are less afraid as well as grizzly areas. Just be prepared and be safe.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I often find the first night challenging as I'm getting used to all the night noises each time. I often go with my kids, so it's semi-solo, as their age doesn't contribute to the element of safety. I sometimes think I'm more vigilant because they are with me. They sleep like they were at home, sometimes better. So I think it is our own sense of fear as adults based on experiences and probably the movies/news media.
    By night two, I'm usually acclimated to the woods and generally sleep much better.
    I second ear plugs, if I were out there without my kids, if I trust that nothing is really going to get me, then numbing my hearing can help improve my sleep quality for the night.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Xenon Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    RDS Down
    Suspension
    Straps, for now.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsshaw78 View Post
    I often find the first night challenging as I'm getting used to all the night noises each time. I often go with my kids, so it's semi-solo, as their age doesn't contribute to the element of safety. I sometimes think I'm more vigilant because they are with me. They sleep like they were at home, sometimes better. So I think it is our own sense of fear as adults based on experiences and probably the movies/news media.
    By night two, I'm usually acclimated to the woods and generally sleep much better.
    I second ear plugs, if I were out there without my kids, if I trust that nothing is really going to get me, then numbing my hearing can help improve my sleep quality for the night.
    Thanks! I had actually brought earplugs with me, but I opted to listen to some sleepy music, which worked at first, but didn't later, after seeing a few raccoons.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRollingRook View Post
    Thanks! I had actually brought earplugs with me, but I opted to listen to some sleepy music, which worked at first, but didn't later, after seeing a few raccoons.
    I had one get my drybag of food hanging in a tree last year. He somehow pulled it up by the rope into the tree. I heard it, so went out and threw sticks into the tree and out dropped this orange drybag! So I moved it, but all I could think about was him getting it again. He was watching me the whole time. I kept throwing stuff at him to scare him but I heard him pacing in the leaves for the next 30 minutes. I finally fell asleep and I guess he gave up because my food was safe in the morning.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Xenon Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    RDS Down
    Suspension
    Straps, for now.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    This is perfect!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I had one get my drybag of food hanging in a tree last year. He somehow pulled it up by the rope into the tree. I heard it, so went out and threw sticks into the tree and out dropped this orange drybag! So I moved it, but all I could think about was him getting it again. He was watching me the whole time. I kept throwing stuff at him to scare him but I heard him pacing in the leaves for the next 30 minutes. I finally fell asleep and I guess he gave up because my food was safe in the morning.
    I recommend a wrist rocket.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast