Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Here is Shug discussing sounds in the night. Occurs at Time Point : 5:17 Very Scary.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
    !!!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Drink heavily! It's amazing how well you sleep after that
    After a toddy or two, I sleep like a dead man...for 2-3 hours. After that, I might as well get up, because there's no more sleep for me.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Like anything, it takes time.

Until you are used to sleeping in the wilderness, you won't be comfortable sleeping in the wilderness.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    After a toddy or two, I sleep like a dead man...for 2-3 hours. After that, I might as well get up, because there's no more sleep for me.
    Just what the doctor ordered!

Great thread you've started here, TheRollingRook.

I'm one of that group that knows that on an outing that my first night will not be as good a sleep as my second or third nights and just accept that. It helps when you hear that bear rumbling through the trees towards you to shine a light and see it's simply just an armadillo sniffing around for bugs.

Like has been said several times quite well already, time and experience can make a difference and knowing yourself and how you respond or react helps too.

The key is to get out, enjoy the time in the woods, and if that means solo isn't the best way, maybe a companion with either two legs or four makes sense.

All said, when in you mind you know you are at the top of the food chain, and the area you are in is secure, either by proximity to others or seclusion from them, there's nothing wrong with a little high carb aid to slumber. I know that a sweet dessert can knock me out almost as well as a cup from my favorite distillery. Almost.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Claytor jungle
    Tarp
    Diamond
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRollingRook View Post
    Okay, so I went hammock camping Tuesday night this week in the local National Forest. It was a primitive campground and no one else was really around. I just needed to get away. I was ok and enjoying my solitude, watching little critters and birds, had a little fire going and was digging the breeze in the trees and the sway of my hammock...until the sun went down.

I was kind of tired and ready to sleep when the sun set and I could no longer enjoy the visuals in the fading light (or through my bug netting for that matter). The first hour after the sun set, I was out like a light. I was totally zonked out, but around midnight, 1am or so, I awoke to some rustling in the forest nearby. Somehow, I went from relaxed to high alert and I just couldn't shake it. I ended up whipping out my flashlight every time I heard something. I counted 3 raccoons that passed by within 15 feet of my hammock within an hour. (No, I didn't have any food out and even my trash (actually stuff I picked up from previous campers) was clean and untouched in the morning.)

I finally got creeped out and ended up sleeping in the back seat of my truck until the sun came up.

I think part of it is camping alone, but I do enjoy the solitude and sway of my hammock.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or have techniques for just chilling out. Like everyone else here, I've been watching Shug's videos for a couple years now and he seems SO relaxed and able to sleep 8-12 hours at a time. I'm just not feeling that unless I'm hanging in my house or backyard.

Any helpful hints or suggestions, greatly appreciated.
    (And if this is the wrong place to post this question, I sincerely apologize as I am new to the forums.)
    Sincerely,
    Megan
    aka The Rolling Rook
    Hi, Megan!

It took a little adjusting in the first month but I only had 2 mornings when I woke up and had clearly slept wrong, and could barely walk. Except for those 2 experiences, it is the most comfortable sleep I have ever gotten. I cannot make any recommendations of whether or not it will help with your issues, because I have no clue. Though - my two cents, get an over-sized hammock. Keep your bed around for a while so you can bail if you just can't get comfortable while you're getting used to it. Sleep diagonally in it, and experiment a lot. I can now comfortably sleep on my side, stomach, or back. For the first couple months I think it was back only.

So, from my own experience, it takes no more time to adjust to a hammock that it takes to adjust to a tent. Personally I never have learned to enjoy a tent, no matter where (and how hard) I've tried to sleep, there was ALWAYS a rock or tree roots digging into the middle of my back. It's very close to the comfort level you enjoy in a bed. Good luck!

Senior Member Bennington.Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Straps/marlinspike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Finally - before you go to sleep: “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
    Nice Dune reference!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Camping in the forest is terrifying - no way around it. You're out there with a piece of freaking nylon between you and whatever is out there, and you don't stand a chance. Cavemen figured out that this wasn't smart - and that's why they went into CAVES to sleep. You'll never get over it; in fact it'll get worse as your experience grows. I was once surrounded by a pack of 20 starving, wild dogs in the Pine Barrens, and I spent 2 days up one of the trees I hung from. And let's not even get into the psychos that are out there.

It's just practice. My first few nights on the AT were weird and I was conscious of every sound and whisper of wind. By the end of it you don't pay even notice the breeze

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Hard time relaxing/sleeping in the wild. Any suggestions? Tips?

I have been solo backpacking and canoe camping for more than 40 years, most of the time in the wilderness areas of the eastern U.S. I have always considered what wildlife encounters I might have and try to use practices that will minimize them, particularly with black bears, which would be most problematic. That being said, the first night out on each trip is always different than the subsequent nights. I rationalize the situation by knowing I have done everything I can to avoid unwanted encounters. I find staying awake after dark, familiarizing myself with the sounds of the forest where I am camped is helpful. I also have a high pitch whistle, an air horn and pepper spray if needed.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast