Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    My solution is to sleep in New Zealand - no bears, no wolves, no coyotes, no mountain lions, no snakes, almost no poison spiders, no alligators or crocodiles. I can just drift off to sleep knowing there are critters that are scared to sleep because there might be a human nearby.

I guess this isn't overly helpful, sorry.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Interesting comments.
    On the subject of FEAR, I think of fear as a killer. Fear will kill you if you allow it to take over.

Anything new has some discomfort involved. Unfamiliar sleeping conditions require some retraing of our brain. Practice and determination normally solve the problem.

Many of us are acustom to the sounds our home makes, we usually are not even aware of our homes sounds. A new environment means we must acustom ourself to new noises. Movies and horror books love to show defenseless people being stocked buy the boggieman. As females we were taught night is dangerous.

Cougar attacks around here have been in daylight.

Dogs swing both ways with bears. Bark & tease, run to human...barking might warn a shy bear off if it is not starving.

I love water, however, I am very careful to not endanger myself. My daughter had a tree shift several inches a few minutes after she settled in for the night. The tree roots were not solidly anchored. Hanging over a game trail is not good. Critters want their drink and might give you a thrill if you are in the way. When we first started hanging we were by a stream. Darkness came Ricky Raccoon and his village came out to fight over water rights. Cute at first then the devils became aggressive. Little eyes everywhere, fights hissing, just nasty critters. I took the dogs out of the truck and our invaders left quickly.

I am fearful of sleeping out in my oun yard in the city. I am training a new dog, so were are going to try a front yard camp out very soon.

Try a few more trips. Some folk use ear-plugs, I want to hear. A flashlight is good, pixy lights maybe. A whistle would scare something that prowls and causes concern.

I am only worried about the two legged preditors, my night light is a beacon.

When we started hanging I wanted a cacoon. I finally discovered I hate being cacooned. Now openness helps me relax. I bought a bridge hammock so I am able to see my suroundings.

I have two lights since I have Virtigo, my internal gyroscope does not work in the dark.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    My solution is to sleep in New Zealand - no bears, no wolves, no coyotes, no mountain lions, no snakes, almost no poison spiders, no alligators or crocodiles. I can just drift off to sleep knowing there are critters that are scared to sleep because there might be a human nearby.

I guess this isn't overly helpful, sorry.
    I understand you have some very mischievous and destructive fjord parrots though. Probably not nocturnal. Wait, what about Orcs?

I’m normally hypervigilant sleeping anyplace new. That feels hard-wired, ancient ancestral conditioning. Earplugs help. High-CBD cannabis can too, better than alcohol (legal, probably soon most places). But coming another night to the same site again: then I’m much more relaxed, even at stealth sites where I’m not to be detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-29-2019 at 12:32.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRollingRook View Post
    Okay, so I went hammock camping Tuesday night this week in the local National Forest. It was a primitive campground and no one else was really around. I just needed to get away. I was ok and enjoying my solitude, watching little critters and birds, had a little fire going and was digging the breeze in the trees and the sway of my hammock...until the sun went down.
    You need a night light or perhaps a few. Use the soloar powered Luci Lights. Set 3 or 4 up in a perimerter far enough away from you that you are in darkness but close enough to create a little island of light. When you hear a noise, rather than whipping out the flashlight , you'll be able to roll over a see nothing imposing between you and your perimeter.

https://mpowerd.com
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Bene Gesserit??

Fear.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
    Quote Originally Posted by bbikebbs View Post
    Bene Gesserit??
    Paul "Muadib" Atreides.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I understand you have some very mischievous and destructive fjord parrots though. Probably not nocturnal. Wait, what about Orcs?
    I live near the Shire, not many Orcs over here, I avoid camping near Mordor unless really really stealth camping.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    The only thing to fear is fear itself.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself . . . and spiders

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Drink heavily! It's amazing how well you sleep after that

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Drink heavily! It's amazing how well you sleep after that
    I was thinking that too, but didn't want to be the first one to bring it up.

I have a ritual that I adhere to on every backpacking trip: I always carry in a first night can of beer and a hostess fruit pie. Usually my trips start with waking up early and being on the road by 5 AM for a 2-4 hour drive, then hiking 10-20 miles. By the time I get into camp, that sweet, sugary fruit pie tastes pretty good. Washed down with a lukewarm beer is just icing on the cake! Plus, it helps take the edge off just a bit.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've always took comfort in this quote from the file The 13th Warrior.

The Skein of your life
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast