Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at getting a Dutch chameleon. Need input.

Good afternoon all. Well my new budget hammock was commandeered by my wife. So I am looking for a new hammock. Started looking at the Dutch chameleon with some of the extras. Does anyone have any experience with this hammock?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Move to Dutch's area as it will get more responses here
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmayojr87 View Post
    Good afternoon all. Well my new budget hammock was commandeered by my wife. So I am looking for a new hammock. Started looking at the Dutch chameleon with some of the extras. Does anyone have any experience with this hammock?
    I imagine that there are a few that do. What are you wanting to know?

Among my 5 gathered ends and 2 bridges are a couple of Chameleons (a regular and a wide) and I think that they are really good hammocks. With so many different hammock choices, what features you are looking for and everybody will chime in with their choices and reasons (removable bug net, accessories, weight, etc).

Mainly I like the asymmetrical bug net and top cover. I wanted to know how the lay was and any pros and cons

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Not sure if you care to wait until Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving), but that time is when you can snag some good hammock deals from Dutch Ware Gear and other vendors. Also consider getting a fully symmetrical bug net / over cover with your hammock as that will allow you to lay any which way you choose, and doesn't necessarily come with a huge weight penalty. If you go netless, you are already fully symmetrical. Consider checking out a few other vendors as well besides Dutch Ware Gear. There are many good hammock cottage vendors out there. A few that come to mind besides DWG are Dream Hammock, Warbonnet Outdoors, Simply Light Designs, Hammock Gear, Just Bill, Jacks R Better, and Little Shop of Hammocks....just to name a few.

I've looked at the warbonnet blackbird and a few others. I really like the chameleon. And with the choosing the sides that I sleep on the bug net can be flipped over to the other side. I know the new blackbird xlc will do the same thing.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    The Chameleon is a great hammock! I have both asym and symmetrical bugnets, and symmetrical winter top. For bugnet, I prefer the symmetrical, even though i never switch the direction of my lay. i just like the better visibility it affords. Super comfortable hammock with the net, or the winter top, or without either. Modularity is amazing with all of the options for accessories, and Dutch and his crew are great to deal with. As already mentioned, lot of great hammocks available from our cottage vendors, but I can highly recommend the Chameleon.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have a chameleon, hexon 1.6 in forest green. For my weight the 1.0 is not an option, but I prefer the feel of the hexon 1.6. I have the asym bug net, asym top cover, peak shelf, and recently acquired a side sling. The peak shelf has really been all that I have needed for storage, but decided to try the side sling (over the side car) so I can have a place to tuck my top quilt away when its warm enough not to need it.
    I've found that sleeping is more comfortable when using the pull outs; it creates a channel for my body to rest in. The pull outs also help keep the bug netting away from my head. Then there's the pack hooks to hold the under quilt in place. It's been a god send when I camp in late fall/winter/early spring temps.
    Overall I am impressed with my chameleon. I have been going back and forth about purchasing one in a different color just for a change once in a while. It would also make it so I have one to loan out when needed. My favorite aspects of the chameleon, besides it being modular, is the zippers. Coming from a Dream Hammock Darien, I have found I prefer the zippers on my chameleon more. They slide along easily and with the pulls it's a breeze.

Images
    Mentioned above is Dream Hammock. Their Sparrow (which preceded the Chameleon) is a fantastic hammock and very similar to the Chameleon with the exception of the way the zippers come together. The Sparrow can be customized to suit your style and preferences exactly.

An advantage of the Chameleon though is the fact that they're typically ready to ship and in the mail to you on the same day you order (at least if you choose a single layer and not a printed fabric). There are 2 widths to choose from, 3 fabric weights, single or double layers, and several colors. Those are where the customizations end, unlike Dream Hammocks that can really be customized but with the trade-off of a 2 month (or so) lead time.

Another nice feature of the Chameleon is the modularity in that you can add storage accessories like the Sidecar or Sidesling and still use those with or without the bugnet or top cover installed.

If you're thinking of giving the Chameleon a try, I'd say go for it as it's unlikely you'll be disappointed, especially if you're coming from an inexpensive (shorter, lower quality fabric, possibly without a ridgeline) hammock. But I do also agree with the above that you can't really go too wrong with any of the cottage vendor hammocks.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 06-27-2019 at 20:00.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    I love my Chameleon in the Hexon 1.6. It has a wonderfully soft feel to it, and it breathes in the summer time to keep you cool. I actually bought two of them and then picked up the Double Dutch net here on the forums and can now have a kiddo or two hanging next to me under the same net. I have really come to appreciate this feature as I get the kids into hammocking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast