Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bikepacking/touring, new to hammock

I live in Northeast Ohio and ride a gravel bike on road-like surfaces and a fat bike on trail/off-road like surfaces.

I've started getting into touring on my gravel bike (racks/panniers) and just got into bikepacking (frame, handlebar, seat tube bags, etc) on my fat bike.

I was carrying a tent but picked up a hammock from a local manufacturer during a craft and herb festival in town and I've been using it for mid-day naps on all day rides.

I recently just got a bug net and rain fly and am testing it out for a bikepacking trip with my brother in Michigan in a couple weeks. I have a bad back and neck so I've been looking into the whole laying flat/diagonally. Working out all the kinks (<= LOL) in my setup before the trip.

Looking forward to learning from everyone and sharing my experience as it accumulates!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You've definitely come to the right place. Good luck with your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    You've definitely come to the right place. Good luck with your trip!
    Thanks! Looking forward to it. Hoping to do the Ohio to Erie Trail (Cleveland to Cincinnati) on my gravel bike this summer still. That's probably a 5 day trip. I'll need to plan for camping with available trees if I do the hammock!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Have you tried out your gear in adverse conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Have you tried out your gear in adverse conditions?
    Not the hammock setup, apart from steady rain with little wind.

I'm currently working through how to best secure everything and how to run the lines needed for the hammock, bug net and rain fly. I'm decent with knots so various knots are options as well as hardware pieces like tensioners. Any references for that type of stuff would be awesome. Is that what falls under "suspension" ?

I'm currently only prepping for summer weather. I'll worry about fall/winter warmth later. I might just stick with tent for that this winter since I'll probably wait til next year to make the $$$ investment for winter hammocking. Did you have any specific thoughts on adverse summer weather? The two main things I can think of that I haven't worked through are high winds and winds while raining.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    'Suspension Systems' would be more about how you hang your hammock from the trees (straps, daisy chains, whoopies, etc). Check out 'Weather Protection' for tarp stuff, including guy lines and ridge lines.

The biggest problem for me and summer camping is I'm in Florida and it's just plain miserable with the high humidity at night.

Hammock
    Hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Premium 30° set
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Muletape
    That sounds like a blast. I've been wanting to do a cross country motorcycle camping trip for a while myself but one thing at a time I suppose. my legs are fine with hiking all day but pedaling is a whole different thing lol so no bike for me yet. I will say I have been through a few different hammocks trying to figure our what works best for me. Finding that diagonal lay is they absolute key. If you don't have one add a structural ridge line to you hammock it will make your hangs more consistent and allow you to dial in you lay better.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshForthteller View Post
    If you don't have one add a structural ridge line to you hammock it will make your hangs more consistent and allow you to dial in you lay better.
    Can I hang my bug net and lay my rain fly over the structural ridge line or do I need a separate ridge line for those? I've been looking for a comprehensive tutorial that describes setting up a hammock, bug net, and rain fly in an efficient, solid way.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This publication (The Ultimate Hang Second Edition) is more than comprehensive. It's definitive. By Derek Hansen

I keep the book on a nightstand and I'm frequently browsing topics and picking up extra tidbits. Enjoy the journey.
    The game is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    This publication (The Ultimate Hang Second Edition) is more than comprehensive. It's definitive. By Derek Hansen

I keep the book on a nightstand and I'm frequently browsing topics and picking up extra tidbits. Enjoy the journey.
    That's good to know since I just bought it for Kindle about an hour ago!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast