Thread: New Clark owner

New Clark owner

I’m a couple weeks out from a backpacking elk hunt in CO using my nX-270. I’m new to this whole hammock thing. I’ve spent one night in the hammock in my yard. Although I felt fairly comfortable I’m not sure I had the hammock set up just right. I found it very difficult to zip the big screen and rain fly while I was laying in it. Is this a sign that I had the suspension too taught? I also found it difficult sleeping on a diagonal. To me the hammock seemed tight like it was curling up around me making it hard to get asymmetrical. Any tips for a beginner? I’ve seen mixed things about needing a ridge line on a Clark. Is that something I should be looking into? Mine came with the tree strap/whoopie sling suspension. I hung underneath a gazebo on posts that were about 15ft apart. Is that an ideal distance from tree to tree? All feedback is welcome.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A quick review of the Clark site and the Clark sub-forum did not reveal any clues or known issues with the NX-270 so I would follow your first impression that you had the rig too taut for the zippers to operate smoothly. You're already on the right track by experimenting at home so keep at it until you get it figured out. Not every hammock problem reveals a solution in one night. Best wishes on your upcoming trip. Sounds like fun.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Update how long I have used my Clark

I have used my NX-250 for at least 7 years, and get along with it very well. The 15 foot distance seems to work pretty well for me. I find that with an empty Clark, poles installed, and all zippers closed, that I get the best lay when both top and bottom pole sets are pretty droopy, and I like the foot end to be only a little bit higher than the head end, nearly level.When I am in the hammock, the zippers should close easily, and there is a little slack in the cover/bug net. This works for me, at least, so it might be worth exploring. When I learned the Clarks were no longer going to be available, I ordered one of the newer NX-270s, and just received it a couple of weeks ago. I have not yet wrung it out yet to see if there is any difference in lay. I like the inside access of the pockets though! Good luck with a great Hammock!! I hope this helps some.
    Last edited by waddy; 09-02-2019 at 22:07. Reason: Poor memory!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I usually setup on a 13 - 15 ft spacing. I keep it pretty level and it should be relaxed in the middle. When you can't zip it up it's to tight. Same with it curling up around you, it's to right. I have probably around 200 hangs in my TX 270, had it about 3 years. I sleep with a pad and sleep very well in this hammock. Work with it, it's a great hammock. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    Diy bridge
    Images
    Geez, I clicked on this hoping someone had purchased the Clark Hammock company!

Nothing to offer, haven't purchased a Clark yet.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    User of several Clark’s over a decade, w > 500 nights.
    1. The usual hang angle implying virtual ridge line length holds:
    Measure the maximum laid-out flat length of the hammock with a string from one hammock end to the other.
    Fold the string in half and then one half into exact thirds.
    Pinch and Pull away just the loose third. The remaining 5/6 is close to an ideal or virtual ridge line length when you hang the Clark (or any hammock). Hang your sagging hammock so points are that distance apart.

2. Droopy hoods. I accessorized some of my Clarks by sewing eye-clips at each end and at the top of each hood. A thin length of elastic cord goes between the hook at the hammock end and a prussic loop(for adjusting cord length) attached to the hook at the top of the hood. The thin elastic cord pulls the hood back gently, and is especially useful when I don’t pack hoop sticks for the foot end of the hammock. I can still position the hood over my head.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-09-2019 at 22:29.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Easiest way to fix the too tight problem is to add a ridgeline to the hammock. That's what I did and it hangs right every time ��

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by ceiliazul View Post
    Geez, I clicked on this hoping someone had purchased the Clark Hammock company!

Nothing to offer, haven't purchased a Clark yet.
    Pretty much the main reason I clicked on the these too.

• + New Posts