Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

SC > Burrells Ford - location data?

Does anybody have the GPS coordinates on where you park & hang? Specifically where the group hangs used to be at.

Ironically I walked the Foothills trail & went by Burrells Ford but didn't spend any time looking at the parking situation or where the group hang used to be held (maybe it still is held & I just don't know).

Thanks in advance

And yes I know there are other spots along the Chattooga / FHT / etc... looking for a car camping (or short walk) spot.

No gps data, but we camp upstream from the bridge, about 1.2 miles up, at the junction of the west fork river.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Parking along side the road at end of bridge.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    My only experience with the Chattooga is running the river, so I looked for info on American Whitewater Association. This contains coordinaates for Burrell's Ford put-in. Maybe this will help.

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...etail/id/1049/

Nancy

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Not sure about any specific group hang sites but there were lots of sites there that were large enough to accommodate groups in general. The parking lot (with the vault toilets) is here: https://goo.gl/maps/snjSj3nxExWdGHgw5

OpenStreetMaps and Caltopo do a better job of showing where the camping sites are (on a loop) than Google maps does. Google just shows you the trail from the parking lot to the campground.

I believe it's just a little over .6 miles from the parking lot to the farthest end of the campground. I would bring some type of wagon for transporting gear if I were going to car camp. I kind of remember there being a larger campsite away from the Chatooga but right next to King Creek that was pretty nice.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Parking along side the road at end of bridge.
    Much appreciated for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    My only experience with the Chattooga is running the river, so I looked for info on American Whitewater Association. This contains coordinaates for Burrell's Ford put-in. Maybe this will help.

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...etail/id/1049/

Nancy
    How was running the river? Sounds fun but intense.

Quote Originally Posted by chknbone View Post
    Not sure about any specific group hang sites but there were lots of sites there that were large enough to accommodate groups in general. The parking lot (with the vault toilets) is here: https://goo.gl/maps/snjSj3nxExWdGHgw5

OpenStreetMaps and Caltopo do a better job of showing where the camping sites are (on a loop) than Google maps does. Google just shows you the trail from the parking lot to the campground.

I believe it's just a little over .6 miles from the parking lot to the farthest end of the campground. I would bring some type of wagon for transporting gear if I were going to car camp. I kind of remember there being a larger campsite away from the Chatooga but right next to King Creek that was pretty nice.
    Thanks. Sounds like a lot of choices relatively close. I did find a good map of the parking and campground area as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post

How was running the river? Sounds fun but intense.
    Love the Chattooga. Most beautiful river I have ever run.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Hiking the FHT you'd completely bypass where the hangs were held. However, if you took the Fork Mt trail as a detour, that would take you by there. Also, if you took the detour to the fish hatchery and then took the East Fork trail down to the Chatooga, you'd run right into the site of the hangs. Haven't had them in a while, and frankly, some of the large trees there are starting to look sick.

Parking at Burrells Ford is either along the road near the trailhead, or there is a small lot not too far down from the trailhead on the other side of the river (bridge).

The trailhead is up from the river, but there are sites you can get to not very far in from the trailhead (nobo towards the hang site). Additionally, there is the "beach" site that is wonderful, but would normally be taken on any weekend if you're not there real early. Its about 2/3 distance to the large open hang site by the East Fork bridge.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    This was the first hanging event I ever attended awhile ago, and like Old4hats said, about 1.2 miles in, if you cross a foot bridge you went to far from where we used to hang. I had the grid coordinates on my old gps that I sold a month ago before buying my inreach explorer.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Hiking the FHT you'd completely bypass where the hangs were held. However, if you took the Fork Mt trail as a detour, that would take you by there. Also, if you took the detour to the fish hatchery and then took the East Fork trail down to the Chatooga, you'd run right into the site of the hangs. Haven't had them in a while, and frankly, some of the large trees there are starting to look sick.

Parking at Burrells Ford is either along the road near the trailhead, or there is a small lot not too far down from the trailhead on the other side of the river (bridge).

The trailhead is up from the river, but there are sites you can get to not very far in from the trailhead (nobo towards the hang site). Additionally, there is the "beach" site that is wonderful, but would normally be taken on any weekend if you're not there real early. Its about 2/3 distance to the large open hang site by the East Fork bridge.
    Thanks for the details. That should get me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma96 View Post
    This was the first hanging event I ever attended awhile ago, and like Old4hats said, about 1.2 miles in, if you cross a foot bridge you went to far from where we used to hang. I had the grid coordinates on my old gps that I sold a month ago before buying my inreach explorer.
    Ha - no worries. You put the parking lot coordinates in an old thread so I knew you had some of the data at one point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast