Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Are you happy with the 4x4's. How are they anchored to the ground? Sonotubes?
    Love them. 10 footers for a nice and tall structure.

I've had them since at least 2003 and maybe 2002 I think. I didn't use any concrete and I moved it from close to the house to it's current location around 2006 or so.

By not using concrete, the wood hasn't had any dry rot associated with posts/concrete.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I am thinking right now to have 6 post and the whole family can hangout there.
    I'm thinking 7 posts in a rectangle setup. Whereas you would have four corners and two middle posts, replace one of the middle posts and spread 2 posts to accommodate the vertex? I think that might be the only way to get everyone in there. Actually, probably needs to be a large square now that I think about it more.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'm thinking 7 posts in a rectangle setup. Whereas you would have four corners and two middle posts, replace one of the middle posts and spread 2 posts to accommodate the vertex? I think that might be the only way to get everyone in there. Actually, probably needs to be a large square now that I think about it more.
    I'm reasonably sure that the optimal arrangement in terms of hammocks-per-post (at least asymptotically) consists of equilateral triangles of length the length of the hammock ridgelines, arranged hexagonally.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    I'm reasonably sure that the optimal arrangement in terms of hammocks-per-post (at least asymptotically) consists of equilateral triangles of length the length of the hammock ridgelines, arranged hexagonally.
    Like this pic, with a post in the middle?

hex.png

That would fit 12 hammocks and be much larger than what is required per OP, no?

p.s. or was your post a tongue-in-cheek response to my previous one? You know, "vertex" is a kind of hammock that the OP referred to, as well as being a technical geometry term.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 06-28-2019 at 12:30.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

hex.png

p.s. or was your post a tongue-in-cheek response to my previous one? You know, "vertex" is a kind of hammock that the OP referred to, as well as being a technical geometry term.
    It was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but not for that reason: the "asymptotically" bit is important: it takes a fair while to get efficient. If you've got a hundred hammocks to hang, a bunch of these glued together is the most efficient layout. For sensible numbers, it's much less efficient.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    Have you seen the fire pit swings? Instead of hanging swings, hang hammocks.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.WPXAf4J16Qs

- Clyde
    These are nice but wouldn't have to be very large to hang just two hammocks?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    These are nice but wouldn't have to be very large to hang just two hammocks?
    Probably, offered it as an idea for design. Original question was for 4 hammocks. If you do it with 6 sides, 4 hammocks along the sides, that leaves two sides open to go in/out of the structure. Would probably be big enough to still have a firepit in the center. Add a roof with a hole in the middle for the smoke to escape. That could be quite the set-up for a backyard overnight.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies

hex.png

I love this design. That is what I wanted to do initially. But the lay of the land makes it to big.

Hammock
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry I was gone on vacation, moving to the new house. Now that I have got the field mowed by the pond I think that is where we are going to put the gazebo. Due to the space between a fence and the pond it will have to be lean-to style. I have a friend that welds and we are going to use 4x4 steel post. Powder coat them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Sorry I was gone on vacation, moving to the new house. Now that I have got the field mowed by the pond I think that is where we are going to put the gazebo. Due to the space between a fence and the pond it will have to be lean-to style. I have a friend that welds and we are going to use 4x4 steel post. Powder coat them.
    Very interested in your finished project. I’ve long thought of doing something as sort of a nod to AT shelters. Not because I love shelters so much, but that they are iconic. Something like a lean-to with no sides, or maybe one back side privacy wall. Would like to get an idea of cost for dimensions used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast