WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie

Weekend with the Minifly

Took the Minifly out this weekend on an overnight trip. I have been using the Thunderfly since it provided more coverage in a very similar size and weight.

The features about the Thunderfly that I love is that slightly larger cooking area in front of your hammock as well as more coverage on the end if you need to pull the doors out for some reason also in porch mode and really open it up. I needed to do this when 2/3rds of my hang spot was a pool of water.

So - what did I learn about the Minifly in our downpour this weekend?

It reminded me that I have been in the most heavy rain storms in the Warbonnet Edge tarp that is the same as the mini without the doors. So. In that regard the mini really gave me that extra coverage on the ends that gave a solid confidence in coverage where with the Edge without the doors you seemed to always be checking your ends to make sure nothing is blowing in. And it never was!

Now back to the Minifly. When the rain hit us it hit fast and hid volumes. We were soaked when we found a good spot to set up. The tarps when up first of course and at this time I really wished I had brought my Thunderfly. But that extra confidence in a larger tarp isn't always a good thing and getting out of your comfort zone is part of the fun for going.

Sitting under Minifly I was surprised that I actually liked the larger view and smaller tarp once I was under it.

After setting up the rain kept steady and going in and out of the tarp was needed to finish setting up everything and getting some warm hot chocolate going to warm up.

The look on my face can tell you I had all the confidence in the world that the Minifly was again maybe going to be my most used tarp just like my Edge was before I got the Thunde and Mini.

What I preferred about the Mini to the Thunder was the ease of moving in and out of it. The shorter doors and shorter sides made it easier to duck under and be able to see more surroundings while under plenty of cover. I was testing my buddies Thunderfly to make sure I was not going crazy thinking this. It really was just the coverage I needed and could zip in and out super easy while having adequate coverage and never worried about rain getting in at all.

Before going to bed the wind picked up a lot so I lowered the tarp and got the back side blocking all I could and went to bed.

Stayed warm all night and slept confident.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    How'd it do with wind-driven rain, or that wasn't a problem?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    It was pretty windy. In that scenario you may want a longer tarp to get it closer to the ground but I’ve never had it blow under when using the edge tarp on n 2 of the strongest storms I’ve been through. In that scinerio drop it low and A frame it in storm mode. You can get it really tight to the ground still.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Great pics. I really love my Minifly. It has seen some hard rain and wind and never failed to keep me dry.

While I'm not in the market for a tarp right now, I do enjoy reading a good real world account, especially one with such good illustrative photos. Nicely done.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    Can you beat that Evergreen color? No, you can't.

The asym has some shortcomings I think the edge and mini fix, specifically the mini. If I could get one in cuben it would be a no brainer for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    EE HG AHE
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    I went back and forth so much between the mini fly and thunder fly. I ultimately got the Thunderfly - but those pics make me second guess myself. Sweet setup!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by droidrunner View Post
    I went back and forth so much between the mini fly and thunder fly. I ultimately got the Thunderfly - but those pics make me second guess myself. Sweet setup!
    I couldn't decide either and got both!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by droidrunner View Post
    Only adding 1oz gives you a lot more width in porch mode. Doesn't sound like much, but watching that rain fall 5.5" further away matters to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast