Tarp
    Something Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator, Nunatak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Ever done this?

So I am cutting out the pieces for my Momentum Minima vest and I think (big mistake) 'let me try the hot knife I have'. Just as I finish the first piece (thinking this is pretty slick) my finger slides just enough to hit the iron. Jumped just enough to drop the hot knife and score a bulls-eye right in the middle of the piece that I just cut out. #$&!! (insert long stream of colorful language). And of course it was the outer layer, not the inner that I harpooned but at least it was a nice 'hot' clean cut. Back to the cutting wheel for the rest of the project for me.
    Lets hear your best dyi '#$&!'

Not hammock related but I wrote a maitanence script that ran nightly to tidy things up on the media server. You know, merge and compress log files, check for system updates, compress DVD rips from the day if I put a dvd in the drive, etc etc etc.

<-me reveling in my sheer genius.

worked great for three days.

woke up one saturday morning to my dad asking why he couldn't access any movies.

<-- me when I realized the entire movie database had been wiped out.

I passed a variable incorrectly to "rm -rf" and it deleted the whole /movies/ directory instead of /movies/terminator/dvd/

lol terminator terminated 600 movies.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaoneday View Post
    So I am cutting out the pieces for my Momentum Minima vest and I think (big mistake) 'let me try the hot knife I have'. Just as I finish the first piece (thinking this is pretty slick) my finger slides just enough to hit the iron. Jumped just enough to drop the hot knife and score a bulls-eye right in the middle of the piece that I just cut out. #$&!! (insert long stream of colorful language). And of course it was the outer layer, not the inner that I harpooned but at least it was a nice 'hot' clean cut. Back to the cutting wheel for the rest of the project for me.
    Lets hear your best dyi '#$&!'
    I feel your pain, but look at it this way - sooner or later, a campfire is going to pop an ember at you and you'll end up with a burn hole. Now, it's out of the way and you won't fret over it later.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    I feel your pain, but look at it this way - sooner or later, a campfire is going to pop an ember at you and you'll end up with a burn hole. Now, it's out of the way and you won't fret over it later.

Jerry
    When you're chewing on life's grissle,
    don't grumble, just give a whistle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Finished the 4th row of stitching in the ridgline seam of my first DIY cat cut hex tarp only to realize I had matched my sides wrong. Upside was up on one side. Upside was down on the other. Took over 4 hours with a seam ripper to tear out all the stitching. With a stitch length of 3mm that's over 14,600 stitches.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Made my first tarp out of non-waterproof rip-stop. Water gushed through.
    Turned it into an SPE, stuff sacks and weather-shield.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Finished the 4th row of stitching in the ridgline seam of my first DIY cat cut hex tarp only to realize I had matched my sides wrong. Upside was up on one side. Upside was down on the other. Took over 4 hours with a seam ripper to tear out all the stitching. With a stitch length of 3mm that's over 14,600 stitches.
    Man Knotty, I would have just trimmed the hems and seams off and started over. I would lose an inch or two of tarp, but 14,600 stitches with a ripper

Your a more patient man than I.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The vid on using a tailors awl is going to have to wait until after I get moved. This place is eligible to be a registered federal disaster area atm.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Alaskaoneday,

Yup, we've been there, done that. When I'm cutting fabric with a soldering iron I always have to resist the temptation to shift the piece of fabric with one hand while holding the iron out of the way with the other. (But gee, I can do it perfectly 99% of the time, and it saves at least a second or two each time.... It's that other 1%.).

When I made my minima vest, I was surprised at Ayce's generousity with the fabric supplied. I hope you had enough to just cut that piece again.

I was showing off my newly finished vest to friends and gestured grandly ("Ta Da!"). My dog sensed great enthusiasm and thought I was reaching for the dog leash. His enthusiasm knows no bounds under such circumstances, and one of his toenails left a two-inch rip in the front of the vest. I used some of that extra fabric to patch it. It looks patched, but that way it fits in with the rest of my wardrobe.
    Last edited by WV; 03-15-2010 at 10:56.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Nawh ... I've never done any of that kinda stuff ... but a guy that looks a lot like me burnt a hole in his small sil tarp when he thought he'd just fold back a grossgrain loop and lightly melt the end that "he" forgot to do before stitching it on. I ... err ... he had to do the old piece of fabric glued on with seam sealer patch job

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast