Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    There are several studies done on fabric color and heat absorption. My understanding is
    the darker colors absorb more heat but are cooler because of the absorption. One of
    the reasons Bedouin's wear black in the desert.

Images
    Desert dwellers wear dark colors I'd gather for the most part because it simply blocks more light than lighter colors, check this out with two tee shirts of same material but different color, but more importantly their clothes are loose allowing air flow even as their clothes sway while walking if there is no breeze. I'm one of few people I know in person who uses similar tactics when out in the sun while being poked at by my friends for wearing long sleeves and a buff over my face and neck while out. Back to tarps, any tarp that's closer to opaque rather than translucent will cast a useful shadow for us under it for hammock purposes since airflow underneath is for the most part a non issue so any heat radiated off the heated tarp wouldn't reach us below it(except big tarps with sides pulled low or doors). I'll report back in a day or two after I get my gray tarp in and can compare what it feels like underneath compared to my black one, I'm expecting not much of a difference aside from the shadow not being as dark under direct light but in most of Louisiana there's no getting away from the heat without a roof and a/c.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    ...Back to tarps, any tarp that's closer to opaque rather than translucent will cast a useful shadow for us under it for hammock purposes since airflow underneath is for the most part a non issue so any heat radiated off the heated tarp wouldn't reach us below it(except big tarps with sides pulled low or doors). I'll report back in a day or two after I get my gray tarp in and can compare what it feels like underneath compared to my black one, I'm expecting not much of a difference aside from the shadow not being as dark under direct light but in most of Louisiana there's no getting away from the heat without a roof and a/c.
    Yes, please let us know any differences. Having a gray to compare with black is a perfect lucky scenario for those of us on the fence. I would like gray because I like light, not like being in a cave. Of course my perspective is biased having only heavy OD green cotton or plastic tarps.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like gray!

But it lets a lot of light through. I'm sure the sun would heat it up like a greenhouse. Otherwise, it's nice and bright inside under cloudy skies or anytime in the winter where any attempt to retain any heating is futile anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One cottage industry hammock vendor recommended the lighter colors. He suggested that if you actually have to spend any inordinate time under the tarp ("trapped" by a rain storm), it is much less gloomy with the light grays instead of opaque black. But do we really get so surprised? When I plan my trips I get the best predictions I can find and so generally experience great weather. When camping with other who want "sunshine" I am even more careful. So "days stuck under a tarp" just doesn't happen - unless I purposely go out "in it" to test my rainy weather setup. More commonly is viewing the tarp from afar as I mosey around camp. With it's rain shelter job a given, the next most important charartistic seems to be, "Is it fun to look at; does it inspire joy?"
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That 2pm nap...hard to beat some days. That's a helluva warm time of the day and the sun seems to excel at finding the only 4' wide gap in the tree canopy.

I experienced this just last weekend. The Warbonnet Evergreen color seemed to be just fine. No rain, but there was also some kind of crap falling out of the trees nonstop.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    My original white canopy was destroyed in a squall on the beach. I’d spend long sunny days under that canopy between races. A dark blue replacement canopy was significantly cooler under the hot sun. That canopy would be 4 or 5 feet above our chairs. If it’s a sun shade you need on a given day, set the tarp higher.

A dark tarp also affords more privacy it it matters.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    .... But do we really get so surprised? When I plan my trips I get the best predictions I can find and so generally experience great weather. When camping with other who want "sunshine" I am even more careful. So "days stuck under a tarp" just doesn't happen..,"
    Yep, I plan on getting stuck...BWCAW we schedule weeks ahead because of limited permits and go no matter the weather. In the fall we can get 70 deg day’s, snow, and breaking ice to get home. Other than that, I like the smell of the woods during fall rain days so just hang out under a tarp.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Other than that, I like the smell of the woods during fall rain days so just hang out under a tarp.
    Definitely! I sometimes want it to rain. I started reading more lately and bought a Kindle Paperwhite. It's just hard to stay awake after a few pages!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    I recently finished a white tarp from some RSBTR remnant fabric. I was hoping for a cooler tarp for summer, but discovered the opposite. Shoulda read this thread sooner! Oh, well. It’ll make a nice stealth tarp for winter trips.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast