The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    ...The first few times my new straps worked with the BH like a champ until the straps folded over on themselves and got "ropey"...
    I've never had a Becket slip with my dyneema straps, but I always flatten the part of the straps that will be in the Becket before tying it. I *think* that's the key.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Indeed! I'm just going with the no-hardware option. I realize I'm a bit of a stick-in-mud about that lol.

However, the Lapp Hitch with kevlar straps doesn't slip and appeals to the minimalist bug that is relentlessly buzzing in my ear!
    I've been learning knots recently and have been disappointed in the Beckett hitch, both because it slips from where I put it and because it gets so tight from my body weight that it's hard to undo. So I'm going to try a Lapp hitch tonight. Thanks all for the education!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by nualle View Post
    I've been learning knots recently and have been disappointed in the Beckett hitch, both because it slips from where I put it and because it gets so tight from my body weight that it's hard to undo. So I'm going to try a Lapp hitch tonight. Thanks all for the education!
    Larkshead a loop of small-diameter cordage (such as Zing-It) to your continuous loops, and you will have a grab handle to undo the becket hitch. Just pull upwards on the handle while pulling downward on the loose end of the knot. Super easy to undo. As for the slippage, I've found that pinching the webbing at the apex of the CLs allows me to set the knot exactly where I want it with no slippage.

Images
    A plain Becket will definately slip fairly low. With one little extra step you can tie a modified Becket like we show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XA8xdm8LIs8 and that should then hold much more. Amsteel (instead of the webbing) is the slipperiest option I have tried, a "modified" Beckett will slip out at about 600 in 7/64" amsteel, while most of the lightweight UHMWPE webbings will hold the modified beckett until the webbing breaks (at about half the webbing's tensile strength, which is about the same as a marlinspike)

The mention of the guyline pull loop on the end of your CL works really great, makes untying very easy, we plan to add this feature to our Becket option in the near future, but it's really easy to just tie a loop of cord and hitch it on there, everyone using a Beckett should do so.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 06-24-2019 at 22:38.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    Lapp hitches held me up fine last night. Haven't tried undoing them yet, since they've held my weight.
    Last edited by nualle; 06-25-2019 at 18:33. Reason: weight-bearing detail

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thank you all, I have switched to J-Bend and it holds me well. Sometimes I have to flatten the part of the straps that will be touching the tree but I don't care that the rest of the webbing is folded in half (this is what usually happens with the webbing in the hitch).

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Marlin spike hitch is my go-to hitch and has never failed me. True about the UHMWPE straps becoming "ropey". I actually prefer the hybrid black and white straps that dutch sells, and those straps just seem to be easier to use with knots AND hardware and will not fold in on themselves like the UHMWPE straps do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12