Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Most of materials are recieved. Missing uncoated fabrics for underquilts are on the way.

GOPR3245.jpg

So far my chronologic to do list, starting from the easiest and finishing with the most difficult, is the following :

- Anchering webbings
    - Mosquito net
    - Underquilt protectors
    - Hammock
    - Underquilts
    - Tarp
    - Ridgelines and other whoopies (not the most complicated but needing to be done accordingly to the rest, and so at last)

As there's no such thing in french, I'll also try to film this to make videos about how a complete sewing noob can deal with such a task. I don't know if I'll accomplish these videos, I'll try but it is not the priority.

NB: I'm very pleased with fabric's quality. Even second choices from extremtextil.de look pretty good.
    I guess 2d choices from a german point of view is still "Deutsche Qualität ".
    Last edited by Bradypus; 06-25-2019 at 12:44.

It looks like you have a good selection of materials to get started with. Your sequence of making things seems logical and finishing each will give you more confidence to tackle the next project.
    Just to keep you on the right track- the orange straps are not nylon are they? If so, they will stretch to much to be used to support a sleeping hammocker. You want to use non-stretch webbing for suspension ie; polypropylene, dyneema, or kevlar.
    On this side of the pond we use 1" wide straps mostly but often carry 2" straps as this is sometimes required in state parks and since you will be traveling to different countries you may want to do the same just in case they have similar requirements. You may want to check ahead to see if any such req. exist.

Hi Ylntfrt, thanks again for your useful thoughts !

These straps are made of polyester, they indeed tend to stretch as they are from a slackline (Gibbon travel line) but it shouldn't stretch as much as nylon, I'll have to make tests to be sure of the result. All other ropes I'll use for suspension are made of dyneema and kevlar, I hope the eventual strap stretch will be acceptable thanks to the staticity of other components. It is 2" wide, I chose this because I hadn't any use of it, but also because the larger the softer for barks. I'll check if I can find any specific requirements.
    Last edited by Bradypus; 06-25-2019 at 23:37.

Hi guys

A strong flue made me unable to work on that for too long. Fortunately I'm healed and started to train and reaize some stuffs.
    All whoopies are done, and the bug net for the hack is mostly done, just got to reinforce it here and there, and put a bungee to close it.
    It also teached me I should wait to have R n' B setup's hammock and underkilt done to make my bug net accordingly.

GOPR3252.jpg

Yesterday I've cuted pieces for the R n' B hammock with a soldering iron, result is pretty neat.

hop.jpg

GOPR3256.jpg

And today I'm sewing it. It is far from perfect but good enough I think.

GOPR3257.jpg

I hope to be able to finish the hammock today and cuts for the first underquilt.

Hammock
    SeaToSummit Double
    Suspension
    SeaToSummit
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Very nice stitching so far!

Thanks

Some are good, some are not that straight, it's a learning process.
    I'm sure I would have learn a lot more posting a report day by day here, but I was working so much I had no time for it. I also forgot about the idea to make a video. I've took a bunch of pictures though, I'll post it if I find time when done.

So far I've finished all whoopies, the first bug net, the hammock, the two underquilts and one quilt protector. The second protector is 2/3 hours from being finished, I'll do that tomorrow and get into the tarp. Sunday I'll have to do the last bug net and all the bags we need. Monday I'll work on our friend hacked system and if I got time I'll finish webbings, or buy some to get rid of that faster cause Tuesday we will hit the road.

We have tested everything, if not perfectly done it is at least efficient.
    My girlfirend is sleeping in the garden with her setup right now. ^^
    I'm pretty happy with her under quilt. Bumblebee all the way, it's hilarious.

GOPR3296.jpg
    Last edited by Bradypus; 07-19-2019 at 19:59.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I've always said straight stitches are overrated. All those imperfections add character! And your trip sounds like it will be awesome. Best of luck! Say Hi to my daughter Kate, she'll be the redhead biking around Denmark for the next 18 months (she's currently living in Horsens).

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradypus View Post
    Some are good, some are not that straight, it's a learning process.
    It all looks great so far! If your stitching was perfect, it might as well be a store bought kit. As it is, you have a custom made kit just your the two of you.

I have to tell you, I am HIGHLY jealous of your planned trip. That area is the Motherland for me (Skane, Sweden and Bergen, Norway). Enjoy!

Thanks for your encouragements guys

If unperfections add character then the whole set of gear is **** characterial !
    Especially the tarp I'm finishing. That ultra light fabric brakes my nerves.

We'll look for a redhead biker dscotthep, it may be tricky to find her though. XD

I'll try to make a good report of that trip so you may find usefull tips for your own future trip Crazytown3, trying to transform jealousy into preparation

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast