Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB

Ridgerunner sadly not working for me, why?

I'm trying my best to enjoy it, but being a belly sleeper I'm trying side sleeping. Having a knee replacement makes me constantly move around and bend my leg. Not sure the terminology but the side strapping along the body of the hammock is tough on the arm or leg hanging over it. was considering pipe insulation to cover the strapping.
    My wife tried it out a few wekends ago and was fast asleep after 10 minutes. I'm sure my daughter would love another gift. I did try it out about 4-5 solo nights with the same result.

Think the rectangular lay of the bridge is tough on me.

But I do want to try it out a few more times and look for that sweet spot. I was lucky to check out the XLC (think thats what its called) and maybe I'm better off with the gathered end for the tossing and turning, but which lay? ahhh...another bump in the road. opinions wanted thanks

Images
    Some find the edge of the bridge uncomfortable, just like you're saying.
    I'm sure JustBill will be along to provide a far better response than I'm capable of coming up with, so stay tuned for that. He's probably still typing...

Not suggesting you keep throwing money at the problem, but keep an open mind toward trying an Amok Draumr or Draumr XL. These are the most cot-like of any hammock I've tried. Maybe you could meet up with somebody or a group where you could check one out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yep, if you need to raise the knees it can be tough as the main suspension that runs along the edge doesn't give.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    It's just gear.

I think too many in the hammock world cross the line from simple appreciation to zealotry. Nothing any of us sell is that amazing that it will work for everyone in every way every time. As a side effect... we can set up people for some pretty crushing disappointments when the promised miracle arrives and it turns out it's just a piece of gear hanging between two trees after all.

Course trying out the hammock itself before going whole hog on the accessories and dropping big money tricking it out can lessen the disappointment too.

The ridgerunner is a pretty sweet piece of gear. It is a great 'one size fits most' and a viable alternative to those who didn't find the promised land at the temple of the gathered end. It checks alot of boxes including being available and affordable. Integrated net, handy pockets, no recessed bars, and a fairly straightforward setup. Special quilt, tarp, etc. Check Check Check! Get on the trail and go.

It is an end bar design- which for the most part makes it unlikely to be good for belly sleepers and tough to make work for those with broad shoulders.

It is a rolled webbing edge construction- which means if the bedspace isn't wide enough for you it will be uncomfortable when you come in contact with it.

It is a bit heavier than it needs to be- but it's a solid piece of gear overall and not designed for gram weenies.

My bridge designs aren't better or worse- but they are different.

I can solve the belly sleeping issue, I can provide more bedspace for extra sleep positions... which gets you away from the edge... and I build my edges with amsteel in channel construction.
    I also charge nearly double, don't have them on the shelf, and there are not several compatible accessories available to toss in your cart and hit the trail. Most don't mind after a dozen nights, but some don't like my recessed bars.

Your issues are fairly common ones I hear among those who reach out to me from the Ridgerunner.
    And of course I tend to 'sell' people a Ridgerunner if they reach out to me... because if it does work for you it's probably a better system at a better price.

What I would suggest is to add a sleeping pad to your RR before you give up and see how that goes.
    It won't let you belly sleep, but it will pop you up a few inches which may be enough to take the bite out of the edge when you side sleep. You'll still contact the edge but you won't be digging into it as hard. If you have a z-rest sit pad or hunk of foam- some folks find they can slip that in; though it's very easy to dislodge if you're flopping around a lot.

Yar that probably leaves you SOL on the quilt and UQP you already bought... but live and learn. On the flipside if you do have a good air pad as many do... that can make the RR a pretty cheap way to try hanging compared to a GE if you look at the whole package.

I personally cannot even nap in a RR without a pad as the geometry of that type of bridge doesn't work with my back issues. It is a back and semi-side sleep design for average sized people. You can fit if you're taller or a bit heavier... but it's meant to fit a fairly average, fit, backpacker sized american male. I think Brandon did a good job covering a wide swath of folks with his design. You put Brandon and I next to each other in person though and you might see why I might design a bridge with a different body type in mind.

Even if I were perfectly comfortable in another hammock it's rare I don't need to change positions just because things flare up/stiffen up if I remain in a single position for too long. So offering maximum bedspace and sleep positions was a high priority for me. I have lots of people using my stuff with 'problems'. To an extent it's unfair to expect any gear to deal with abnormal problems and while I do my best; I can't solve them all either.

Each choice has it's downsides. If we were all the same we'd still be on the ground on a cheap foam pad and there wouldn't be dozens of legitimate high quality sleeping pads on the market.

Gathered ends can be tough as sometimes its a matter of sorting out which of the dozens of length, width, lay and fabric options works. If it was cut and dry then everyone would have a 9' ENO... but they don't.

Bridges tend to be much less fabric and setup dependent without calf ridge, shoulder squeeze or toe/ankle bending issues that can haunt a gathered end user.

But for the most part 'bridge' means Ridgerunner... which resolves many things for many people but not all.
    There are as many design choices that could be made with a bridge as you can make with a gathered end. Bridges are still pretty new, and extremely small in terms of market share. I make different choices than Brandon based upon my personal needs and my customers... but the only 'best' gear is what works for you.

I say generally-
    Get a better pad before a hammock.
    Get a gathered end before a bridge.
    Get a Ridgerunner before you call me.

If all else fails- I'll give it a shot.
    But at the end of the day all I do is sell gear too. No miracles implied or promised. For every one person I help... there are dozen happy with a RR, a dozen dozen happy with a gathered end, and a thousand dozen blissfully unaware of this whole hanging thing laying on the ground.

And even if you shell out money for one of mine... you still gotta fend for yourself on the UQ, tarp, and deal with my limited to one option bug net. So going from a bridge you like at home to a trail ready system doesn't happen just because you paid up and the box with my name on it arrived. In some cases the frustration may only increase as you've got this great hammock but you can't quite sort out the UQ or your trusty tarp you're used to hanging doesn't fit so well. I have customers who came from a RR singing my praises but reaching for the RR again because they got used to an integrated bug net and it's skeeter season and they don't want to deal with the way I do it.

I even grab a gathered end at times in deep winter simply because it's a warmer system and accept that each choice has a limitation or two.

If I could- my UL minded butt would still be sleeping on my xtherm on the ground.
    But that's not the way my choice of profession or father time allows... so it is what it is.

The only "wrong" choice in my book is to let it keep you out of the woods if that's what you enjoy.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 06-17-2019 at 13:17.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    Coldfeet, I know just what you mean. The trick I found was instead of turning on your side and pulling your legs up to the thinner part of the hammock move your torso down. That puts your head in the thinner section and your legs remain in the wider end. Don't forget your pillow !
    Last edited by HarveyM; 06-17-2019 at 14:52.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yea! If the Ridgerunner doesn't work for you then you are out of the club

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Thank you folks for ideas. Bill I appreciate your honesty and I happened to watch your video today about entering your hammock. As a canoe paddle I’m used to that type of boat entry with 3 points of contact.

I did try my neo air pad one or two nights inflated a bit to high and let air out. Also tried a Foam folding pad.

HarveyM you have me thinking of an idea. Might as well say it now but what if I just changed head and foot position? Seems like I’d have a bit more leg position to move around. What the heck. Will try it next weekend.
    It’s so much different from tenting. I’ll still get out just wanted to dive into a new way of tripping. Appreciate everything.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    I like extra pillows for added comfort. The Klymit ones work nice because the grove will hold it on top of the ridge and you can adjust the firmness with air. A double layer, air mattress might be your sweet spot or else your back on the ground and out of the club.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I don’t know if switching head & foot positions will help, but hey why not try?
    For me, keeping my legs in the wider part of the hammock with my head and chest in the narrow part keeps my knees off the sides & results in a much better sleep.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I'm trying my best to enjoy it, but being a belly sleeper I'm trying side sleeping. Having a knee replacement makes me constantly move around and bend my leg. Not sure the terminology but the side strapping along the body of the hammock is tough on the arm or leg hanging over it. was considering pipe insulation to cover the strapping.
    My wife tried it out a few wekends ago and was fast asleep after 10 minutes. I'm sure my daughter would love another gift. I did try it out about 4-5 solo nights with the same result.

Think the rectangular lay of the bridge is tough on me.

But I do want to try it out a few more times and look for that sweet spot. I was lucky to check out the XLC (think thats what its called) and maybe I'm better off with the gathered end for the tossing and turning, but which lay? ahhh...another bump in the road. opinions wanted thanks
    I had a similar problem and couldn’t ever get it to work for me. As Just Bill says, it may work for most.. but I’m one it doesn’t work for. I’ve been happy with a gathered end hammock - the WBXLC in my case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast