Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles

TrailWinder UQ first night

I got to test out my Trail Winder this weekend in the Pine Barrens and it worked just as reported. Easy set up, no fidgeting, and warm comfort all around. I ordered the 3.6 ounce insulation. The lows were in the 50's overnight and I stayed cozy warm all night. The only gripe is that the thing is so light it sounded like the mosquitos were screaming in my ear outside the hammock! I guess I've become accustomed to the sound deadening properties of a 10 degree UQ around my head. My 4-yr old shared the hammock with me, and neither of us felt cold spots overnight, though I am eager to try it out solo...from now on.

Post some pics of it. I've heard nothing but good things about this UQ from Jared at Simply Light Designs.
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...winder-asym-uq

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PlusOne View Post
    I got to test out my Trail Winder this weekend in the Pine Barrens and it worked just as reported. Easy set up, no fidgeting, and warm comfort all around. I ordered the 3.6 ounce insulation. The lows were in the 50's overnight and I stayed cozy warm all night. The only gripe is that the thing is so light it sounded like the mosquitos were screaming in my ear outside the hammock! I guess I've become accustomed to the sound deadening properties of a 10 degree UQ around my head. My 4-yr old shared the hammock with me, and neither of us felt cold spots overnight, though I am eager to try it out solo...from now on.
    Your gonna love it! It really seems to be catching on and becoming a popular piece of kit.... and for many good reasons too!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

This is a very interesting design. The pics and description on Jared's website look like it could be considered sort of like an underquilt protector with the extra fabric. Do you think it functions as a combination underquilt and underquilt protector, or would you still use an UQP with it?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Do you think it functions as a combination underquilt and underquilt protector, or would you still use an UQP with it?
    I believe it is both. The material is the same as his UQP, just with added insulation (ION fabric, calendered/breatheable). He includes extra cordage for the ends to lengthen the suspension. Use it without the extra cordage as your UQ, add it to lengthen the suspension and it will hang below your other quilt and give it a temperature boost. I was so busy chasing the kids around camp, I failed to take any pics.

Having used it last night in some truly torrential rain, I can confirm it works as both a UQP and an underquilt.

Also, I'm really stupid and only just realised what those two extra bits of cordage were for.

Have had the trail winder 20* set up now for four months, this is a full time out door set up, mostly set up under a sld Asym tarp, I have also a shade cloth set up over the top reason being to protect the tarps from uv.

However on the few occasions l been caught out with the sideways gales with heaven rain taking a fair spray too the trail winder, it has repelled beautifully, beading water off and staying dry, as purposefully as a UQP, with the bonus of the snug warmth from an UQ.

Mid winter in OZ, with over nights down to 4c*c or 39.2f..... drawn in the side cinches up for the snug fit without any shock cord battling against me, keeping free and toasty warm!

One very well thought out UQP- UQ!

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    This is a very interesting design. The pics and description on Jared's website look like it could be considered sort of like an underquilt protector with the extra fabric. Do you think it functions as a combination underquilt and underquilt protector, or would you still use an UQP with it?
    It is exactly that. Insulation where you need it, none where you don't & the shell of the trail winder is the same as used on uqp but is fused together! Nobody offers this combo ..only SLD!
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Another great testimony!
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist