Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta

Well i have decided to just go for it

I love sleeping in hammocks i ditched my bed over a year ago. It really has been good but i got a vivere double with the stand that comes with it. No longer then 10 ft its a bit cramped and i have been starting to get some bad heel pain. I needed bigger. So after waking up feeling like a pretzel and in a very bad mood first thing i did was order a ceara stand and then got a dutch netless double layer wide. I would have liked to go bigger but i think this might be a good comprise for now i have heard alot of good things about dutch and his hammocks and the stand was on sale for 119.00 when it is normally 159.00
    The vivere has taught me alot about hammocks and i think i can make the most out of this new set up because of it though i must say i am getting a bit tired of dreaming about hammock rigging all night its just time to sleep and enjoy. I better enjoy it cause i am now offically broke

Ashley

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I use a single layer Dutch netless. It’s my go to hammock. Did ya get an adjustable ridgeline? It’s nice to be able to dial it in to your preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    I did not get a ridgeline i have never used one cause. i am used to brazilians.but if i were to to use one i think the advustable would be the only way to go. i am used to adjusting everything probley to much.

Ashley

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ashley, are you indoors or outdoors in your hammock? I'm wondering if you have hanging options besides a "stand" because most stands are not long enough to properly support the usual "sleeping" hammock size (10.5 - 11 ft). That said, I still hesitate to put attachment points in my walls because I'm afraid I might not hit the proper structural wood behind sheetrock. But many have done that in their homes successfully.

If you have a friend who knows home carpentry, or can "visit" a home being built (NOT advocating anything illegal), you can get info on where there is more wood around window frames and such to anchor an attachment.

Have you used the Hammock Calculator that's a smartphone app or via web browser? It will show how high on the wall the hooks have to be for your size hammock and desired height above ground.

The ridge line - a place to hang an organizer to hold phone, flashlight, etc. - need not be structural or adjustable. And, if your anchor points are fixed - like with a stand or hooks on a wall - then you'll know how long the suspension needs to be for the right sag and angle off the stand/wall. So you wouldn't need a ridge line. In fact, if you were attached to a wall, you may not want a structure ridge line because ... the angle from the vertical support determines the strain (force) on the suspension. A structural ridge line allows that angle to be shallower (less than 30 degrees) while still keeping the desire sag. Problem is, that shallow angle creates more force pulling on the suspension. You can "forgetaboutit" if you are dealing with the 3 ft diameter Ponderosa Pines we have in PNW, but the vertical stud in a wall is already challenged because it was designed for a compression force pushing down, not a shear force pulling out.

The ridge line is just an aid in setting up when you are dealing with multiple tree (support) distances. The idea is first you determine the best sag for you - how far apart the hammock ends are when you are in it. Then you attach a cord at both ends of the hammock so it shows you when they are pulled apart that ideal distance. When you approach a new pair of trees, you set the hammock up so it is your desired height above ground and the ridge line doesn't droop but is not guitar string tight either.

Structural vs non-structural ridge line just means is it made out of something strong enough (2.2mm LashIt for example) to take some force if you hang at an angle that is usually too shallow. It will be twangy tight in that case. But if you know you are going to get the right sag with the usual angle (around 30 degrees), then the ridge line cord could be just a length of removable string - just to let you know when the hammock ends are the best distance apart for you.

Again, if you are dealing with the same fixed distances (like with a stand or in-home attachments) there is nothing to adjust once you get it right. It's like always going back to the same two trees. The ridge line is still handy for having gear close by, but you don't need it for your hammock set up because you already have a fix distance and fixed height. Once you get the right sag, you just have to use the same length suspension lines.

My experience with most stands is they may allow the hang angle/sag you want but will result in the hammock only being inches above the ground. Not ideal, but perfectly fine for sleeping because off the ground is off the ground - be in 3 inches or 2 feet.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-16-2019 at 13:07.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I also use a dutchware. I have a hexon 1.6 single wide. Though I am going to get a Carolina double cotton Brazilian as well. Been sleeping in a hammock for a year now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    Gosh i have been reading up on stands for a while and the choices are a bit limited there are some really bad stands out there but there are some that will work better then others excluding the turtle stands and. Diy which i think ate the best but they are expensive unless you can diy which i am not good at this stand is adjustable from about 10 to 12 feet the reviews are pretty good and the rigging is a bit better not chains or the ones you wrap down over the stand thats what i have now this is a indoor set up so heavy is ok i could mount it to a wall i have permission but i dont know how long i am staying here and i need my options open for the next place i go.
    With the vivere at least i like a tighter hammock and the stand seems to be ok for me thatway my butt is not to close to the ground but i like to fiddle maybe why i like hammocks so much maybe with a dutch i wont as much but leopards dont change their spots so who knows this post has me thinking about ridge lines though i am hoping to get in touch with dutch and talk to him about it

Here is the stand i got mine on amazon right now the price is 119 instead of 159
    https://www.byerofmaine.com/ceara-hammock-stand.html

Hey bamulance did you get knotty mods if you did what do you think of them if they work well i think getting a dutch just for that cloth out of face and a bit of a foot box would be absolute heaven lol i right now i am a bit cramped
    Last edited by Festinalente; 06-16-2019 at 23:35.

I did get knotty mods. I like em. The foot box is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Festinalente, when I read, "... I like a tighter hammock ..." it raised just a little eyebrow because sometimes people like their hammock tight as a way to get it flatr. But the flat lie is obtain by a diagonal shift so your head and feet are on opposite sides of the hammock center line and giving the hammock enough sag to allow that. You may already know that. But I'm mentioning it because I have heard that "tighter" phrase before when people were trying to get a flat lie.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    I have found its a balancing act, and it is alot harder cause i have such a small hammock. i switch back and forth with sag level when i have a bit more room it might be a bit different and alot easier. right now by morning i have legs off the the rig altogether trying to lay diagonally. too much sag and i get back pain and neck issues o boy and my heels even though i use pillows under my knees and stuff.

Ashley

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Check this guy's position in the hammock:

You see how his feet are very near the middle of the hammock's length? That's where the hammock is flattest and widest, furthest from the gather. If he were closer to the middle of the hammock, his feet would be either sticking way off the edge of the hammock, or else his heels would be under pressure to spread the hammock as wide as needed, fighting against the foot end gather. He might also experience calf ridge, which is more intense closer to the gather.

What the photo doesn't show is how he is able to lay so far toward the head end, still seeming quite flat. The reason: the foot end of the hammock is hung much higher than the head, making the lowest point of the empty hammock around his navel. That's the secret to avoiding heel pressure, calf ridge, and maintaining an easy flat diagonal, especially if your hammock isn't super long.

The stands you are considering don't let you hang the foot end higher than the head. You could let the head end down, but at 54" it is already too low. My current hang has the foot end at 72" and the head at 56", and I have a comfy 18" sit height with a 12' hammock.

Re DIY stands, I just posted a collection of very simple, very cheap tensahedron builds, all of which let you get the head-foot height differential you want: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/2019/06...ahedron-stand/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast