Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

One topquilt to rule them all, or a few for layering?

Hey y'all!
    I'm about to buy my first topquilt(s) and am torn between buying a single colder rated one, or a couple of summer weight quilts to layer as needed.
    If I buy a single quilt, I was leaning toward down and something in the 30ºF or even 20ºF temperature range

- OR -

I was thinking of buying a 55" Operator or Recon Series from Loco Libre (short, no shoulder coverage) and doubling it up with something like a Jacks R Better 40ºF Sierra Stealth that could be worn in jacket mode with it or even layered over top in colder months.

What are you folks opinions on this, and if I am planning to layer two quilts, is it advised that I go for a synthetic outer layer for moisture management?

I live in Portland, OR if that helps any - and do mostly three season camping but would love to be able to get out in the cold winters too!

I'd go for a 20 degree quilt maybe from EE or Hammock Gear or one of the other quality vendors on here. Even though a 20 degree quilt sounds too warm for summer hanging, they can be very versatile by uncovering an arm or leg or whole torso (you need a bug net to do that in most places). You can get a lighter quilt in the future for warmer weather only or to layer up for real winter hanging.

Would the 20ºF be just way too much during the summer when the lows are usually right around 55ºF though?

I guess I should also add that i am a pretty warm sleeper. I tend to keep a window open year round and cover up the heat vents in my room so I worry about just roasting alive.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Conventional wisdom of many HF members on the temp rating of quilts is to be 10 degrees lower than expected low temps for comfort. My first quilt was a 20 degree down UQ from JRB. I then traded that one for a Loco Libre Zero degree Habanero UQ from another HF member (Thanks Peppy), I then later decided I needed another 20 degree UQ, so I got a Sierra Sniveller (multi function UQ or TQ). Finally, I decided to get a summer down quilt rated for 50 degrees F. the crazy things we do to be comfortable in a hammock! Stacking quilts is what I do when the temps are really cold, however I mostly end up using the single UQ either the Loco Libre or the 50 degree UQ that Wanderlost made for me (DIY).
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 06-13-2019 at 14:12.

A 20 degree top quilt isn't too warm for me in the summer (Rhode Island). Even if it's 70 degrees, I can flip most or all of the quilt into the shelf of my WBBBXLC and have no or minimal quilt covering my body. Then at 3:00 or 4:00 am, it's nice to reach over and grab some downy coverage if the temp has dipped by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    so I got a Sierra Sniveller (multi function UQ or TQ)
    Have you used the Sniveller as a UQ by chance? JRB told me it and the Stealth could be used as a TQ or a wearable, but that due to the taper it couldn't be used as a UQ and the Shenandoah would be better suited to that particular application. Curious to see if thats something you've actually made work!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I haven't yet tried to use the sniveller as a dedicated UQ yet, but I suppose it could be done. It's just easier to use a dedicated UQ, so when its cold i primarily use my zero degree Loco Libre, and the 50 degree down DIY UQ from May-Sep. One cool feature of the sniveller is the ability to use it as a morning down robe a la Teenage Mutant ninja Turtle.

Images
    Hi Howler,

For PDX folks, just get a single 20d quilt and use that in all three seasons. If you graduate to winter camping, you can add a costco blanket as a very cheap and effective booster ($20, 16oz). In the middle of summer, it will keep you warm at night but you wont need to snug it up so tight. You can even just kick it off if it gets too warm. It is not going to be "way to much".

Obviously if you are made of money, you can buy All Of The Things, but i have not needed more than one top quilt in all of the places in our region.

Sounds like maybe a warmer topquilt might be my best bet after all - if I want to ask about UQ's do I need to make a separate post in that section?
    Or can someone speak to using a cold weather UQ in summer weather? Since it cant so easily just be pushed off of the body like a TQ can.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Hi Howler,

For PDX folks, just get a single 20d quilt and use that in all three seasons. If you graduate to winter camping, you can add a costco blanket as a very cheap and effective booster ($20, 16oz). In the middle of summer, it will keep you warm at night but you wont need to snug it up so tight. You can even just kick it off if it gets too warm. It is not going to be "way to much".

Obviously if you are made of money, you can buy All Of The Things, but i have not needed more than one top quilt in all of the places in our region.
    Sweet! This was what I needed to hear! I certainly cannot afford All Of The Things on my dive bar linecook wages, so not having to buy two unless I'm doing some deep cold camping sounds like a winning plan to me! Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast