Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly

Question Florida Hangers: 20 Degree UQ?

FL hangers, please talk me off the ledge. I'm about to purchase a 20 degree Warbonnet Wookie. Most of my camping is in South FL, with rare outings to North FL, and GA in the fall. I camp year round. New to hammocking. Been good for two nights with no insulation, and a light sheet.

Will I regret a 20 degree UQ? Also considering a 40 degree UQ with two extra ounces of fill...

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I primarily camp in FL. I use a 40F Phoenix late October through mid May. I guess the Yeti would be the equivalent?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I hung in Florida for several years before I moved to western North Carolina and would, solely upon my experiences, suggest the 30° or 40° quilt. You could always get/make/acquire a little quilt to supplement a particular trip if you know it's going to go below 40°.

Oh, I sleep cold, so for me the 40° Wookie takes me right to 40° and nothing below -- so take how you sleep into account.

Get your first quilt for what you will use most, imo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    If you want your underquilt to be 10 degrees warmer than the coldest winter than 20 degrees would be right for most of the HANGCON outings that I have attended. They seem to hit freezing weather that week most years. I personally would have a 20 degree and a 40 degree if I planned on camping much during the winter. I just put two underquilts together the few times I need anything under 40 degrees.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I live near Pensacola and have an overstuffed 0°F for all of my winter camping in north Alabama and future hikes. My wife has a older 20°F quilt and although she is a warm sleeper she finds the twenty too cold for winter use in January at about 30°F and perfect for her in the spring time at around 40-50°F. For summer use I use a PLUQ atm until I can get a new 30°F set for us both. I would suggest a twenty degree and vent or a thirty degree with the option too boost as needed.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I have a HG econ 30F and if I get to warm I adjust the TQ. Just used it on a week long trip with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post
    FL hangers, please talk me off the ledge. I'm about to purchase a 20 degree Warbonnet Wookie. Most of my camping is in South FL, with rare outings to North FL, and GA in the fall. I camp year round. New to hammocking. Been good for two nights with no insulation, and a light sheet.

Will I regret a 20 degree UQ? Also considering a 40 degree UQ with two extra ounces of fill...
    I've got a 0 degree Wookie which I love for winter hanging in the northeast. That said, the Wookie isn't as easy to vent as maybe a Hammock Gear Incubator. The no fuss way a Wookie hooks up might be a disadvantage hanging in Florida where the temps can vary by quite a bit.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I too would agree with going with the 20* quilts. Especially if you camp in GA as well.

As SK stated, it almost always hits the upper to middle 20's at HangCon in January in Ocala National Forest.

For other times, including July(No UQ Hang) and September(Summer's Last Gasp Hang) in Ocala, I made a thin Summer quilt set which has taken me down into the 40's.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post

I live half way up Minnesota and only use a 30 deg quilt until temps approach the 30's. In the summer, I need to vent it.
    IMO -- I'd go with a HG Econ line in a 40 deg and another Econ in 20 deg for the rare occasion you may need more... probably still be cost ahead on a Wookie.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I too would agree with going with the 20* quilts. Especially if you camp in GA as well.

As SK stated, it almost always hits the upper to middle 20's at HangCon in January in Ocala National Forest.

Would a 40 degree (3/4 length, maybe overfilled), in conjunction with a pad, stretch me into the 20s, as long as the top insulation (and clothing) up to the task? I only hit GA maybe once a year in the spring, and would rather get the most versatile possible insulation for now. If I make it up to ONF for a hang, I don't want to make the walk of shame back to my vehicle

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast