Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tent poles for porch mode

Hello friends. Im planning a moto camp this fall and was wondering about using some tent poles that i see on dutch site as a replacement for hiking poles for my porch mode. Im sure its been done so tell me how it worked

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Images
    Tent poles are designed to be flexible which is counter to the ideal porch mode supports that would be pretty stiff in compression.

The various sizes of poles Dutch sells are designed for a few different purposes. The smaller diameter ones are better suited for adding pole mods to the tarp, which create more internal space under the tarp. The larger diameter poles are for spreader bars to be used in bridge hammocks, or another form of spreader bar that is used between two hammocks hanging from the same pair of trees to keep some distance between them.

The smaller diameter poles probably could work as porch mode supports, although they'd be flimsy. Better would be trekking poles, decent sized downed limbs found on-site, or adjustable tarp poles like these from REI. You can also tie the corners of the tarp to trees to raise them up for porch mode, although this assumes you're in an area with multiple trees in the right locations.

https://www.rei.com/product/845322/r...rp-pole-single

That pole seems like a good option. 22inch wide is pushing what will fit in my bag

Images
    They're also not too cheap at $60 per pair. Amazon would probably have some cheaper options, maybe in shorter segments as well.

I do have a set of those poles though, and like them a lot. Shown here holding up a tarp while messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    They're also not too cheap at $60 per pair. Amazon would probably have some cheaper options, maybe in shorter segments as well.

I do have a set of those poles though, and like them a lot. Shown here holding up a tarp while messing around.

Not cheap at all.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Have you considered a hiking pole that will extend longer? I have
    found multi-use gear to save me a little money. I was just looking
    for the same thing a couple months ago and found some used carbon
    hiking poles that extend perfect for "porch mode".

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use the REI poles a lot. They come in two sizes (diameters) and the smaller size is great for porch mode. If I know I'll need ridge line support, I'd take the larger (larger diameter and longer) collapsable poles. For example, if the picnic table were fixed at one location, and whoever placed it didn't plan it such that one could run a cover tarp between two trees (covering the eating/cooking area in the rain), then the larger poles come in handy. I'd only use them to hold up a tarp, not a hammock, because they only lock with a push button though a hole in the shaft.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I use the REI poles a lot. They come in two sizes (diameters) and the smaller size is great for porch mode. If I know I'll need ridge line support, I'd take the larger (larger diameter and longer) collapsable poles. For example, if the picnic table were fixed at one location, and whoever placed it didn't plan it such that one could run a cover tarp between two trees (covering the eating/cooking area in the rain), then the larger poles come in handy. I'd only use them to hold up a tarp, not a hammock, because they only lock with a push button though a hole in the shaft.
    Not myself, but others have used these exact poles to hang a hammock (the larger diameter, not the ones I pictured). Also, the Tensa 4 and Tensa Solo stands use similar leaf spring buttons to keep the telescoping segments extended.

Maybe I should just go with hiking poles. Granted for moto camping it’s pointless but I’m looking to get into more hiking so win win.

I was just trying to save space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Could always use longer branches laying around. But yeah, hiking poles work great.

2019-02-22_17-14-34_976 (1).jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast