Chameleon
    Tarp
    Rei 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk Straps

Unhappy Hammocking with a bad arm

I cracked my elbow 2 weeks ago and in 3 weeks I'm supposed to hike and hammock camp. I have a small crack in my radius and bruising. No cast, no sling, but 2 more weeks before I can consider lifting anything heavier than my laptop. Doc says I can go but be careful. My friends said they would assist me and watch out for me. Has anyone been out with a bad arm before? Any advice?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would take this pre-trip time to be super careful to not stress or strain it and give your arm as much time as needed to heal. A small uncomplicated fracture should be reasonably healed in three weeks but your arm strength will be decreased so keep that in mind for your trip activities. I don't know what kind of trip your are going on but if you are going to be going to a more remote area far from the trailhead I'd also really evaluate how you feel the week leading up to the trip as well. It would suck to cancel but it can be dangerous to head out if you are not near 100%. Depending on triial and weather conditions a simple fall on the trail could easily lead to a re-injury or worse. Just my $0.02. Good luck and I hope you recover fast and have a safe trip.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I would consider loading my pack, putting it on my back (or get help), and take a nice long walk. You may find that the weight of your pack will stress the arm too. Better to find out before you go than be in pain at the end of the first day really hiking
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

I went through a similar issue with my right shoulder last year, caused by pinched nerves that made my arm pretty useless for a while. It was self inflicted since it happened when I rolled over in my hammock . Did the surgical consult with the orthopedic surgeon, MRI, eletrography and physical therapy route. Waste of money, IMO, and regular visits to the chiropracter has improved it, but it's been over a year.

I was fine putting on/taking off and carrying a backpack, but the biggest problem was getting my arm up in the air to secure tree straps and tarp lines. Oh, and cooking food was a bit tough trying to stir my small pot over the alcohol stove and not burning myself. Switched back to my BRS stove and iso, since I could do that one handed and had more heat control. You learn to adapt, move slow and plan out your moves.

Good luck with the arm and you should be fine, since you've got backup help!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Two things come to my mind here... 1) it would be hard using walking sticks, and 2) if not using sticks, I sure wouldn't want to trip/fall and make the arm worse.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

If you sleep head left/feet right then you need a good right arm. If the other direction then a good left arm. Don't ask how I know.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I sure wouldn't want to trip/fall and make the arm worse.
    That's what I was thinking. If it's your beer drinking arm, is it really worth it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts