WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket

Dumb questions about Warbonnet Diamondback TQ length and width

So I'm pretty set on staying in the Warbonnet ecosystem, I started with a ElDorado SL and love it.

My dumb question is this: What do the length and width measurements for the Diamondback mean? I see that the width varies from 50", 55", and 60". If I were to get a blanket and fold it to match those widths, would that give me a good idea of what the TQ will be like width-wise?

Likewise, the lengths are listed as 67", 73", and 79" and I don't know what those lengths mean in the real world either. How can I replicate that at home so I'll get an idea of what the TQ I end up ordering will be like?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MuadDale View Post
    So I'm pretty set on staying in the Warbonnet ecosystem, I started with a ElDorado SL and love it.

My dumb question is this: What do the length and width measurements for the Diamondback mean? I see that the width varies from 50", 55", and 60". If I were to get a blanket and fold it to match those widths, would that give me a good idea of what the TQ will be like width-wise?

Likewise, the lengths are listed as 67", 73", and 79" and I don't know what those lengths mean in the real world either. How can I replicate that at home so I'll get an idea of what the TQ I end up ordering will be like?

Thanks!
    How tall are you? Do you need a short or Long size?
    How big are you? Chest size, coat size
    How will you use your top quilt? Strictly hammocking or will you use it for ground /tent camping as well?

The extra width is nice if you use the quilt as a ground camping accessory or extra wide across the shoulders. I am have a fairly thick build but, in a hammock, I rely on the extra width of the underquilt to wrap me in warmth. I have longed for a wider quilt only when forced to sleep on the ground.
    Last edited by OCDave; 06-06-2019 at 15:39.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Width=50” for hammock only, 55” for hammock and ground. 60” is overkill, unless you’re a fat guy (no offense).
    Length=finished length of quilt. 67” if you’re short, 73” up to 6’ (probably OK to 6’1”), 79” over 6’.

It’s really important with a quilt to get the correct size. A lot of people my size (6’) figure it’s better to size up so you can pull the quilt up over your head, where you can store your clothes in the cold weather, etc. This works great with a sleeping bag (it’s what I do), BUT ITS DEAD WRONG FOR A QUILT.

To test the fit of a quilt get in, pull the quilt up until your feet hit the end of the footbox, snap the color around your neck, cinch it tight and lay down. Your feet should move back a bit in the footbox (so they’re not touching), the sides of the quit should snug up against your sides and the collar should be comfortable and just a tiny bit snug. If your feet are up against the footbox and the collar is tight , the quilt is too small, if you have excess material in the middle and the quilt did not snug up against your sides, it’s too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Width=50” for hammock only, 55” for hammock and ground. 60” is overkill, unless you’re a fat guy (no offense).
    Length=finished length of quilt. 67” if you’re short, 73” up to 6’ (probably OK to 6’1”), 79” over 6’.

It’s really important with a quilt to get the correct size. A lot of people my size (6’) figure it’s better to size up so you can pull the quilt up over your head, where you can store your clothes in the cold weather, etc. This works great with a sleeping bag (it’s what I do), BUT ITS DEAD WRONG FOR A QUILT.

To test the fit of a quilt get in, pull the quilt up until your feet hit the end of the footbox, snap the color around your neck, cinch it tight and lay down. Your feet should move back a bit in the footbox (so they’re not touching), the sides of the quit should snug up against your sides and the collar should be comfortable and just a tiny bit snug. If your feet are up against the footbox and the collar is tight , the quilt is too small, if you have excess material in the middle and the quilt did not snug up against your sides, it’s too long.
    Great explanation! Thanks for spelling out the "why" of it all for someone who's never been around a TQ.

It looks like I'll be set with a 55" wide 73" long TQ. I'm just a hair under 6', fluctuate between 200 and 210lbs (my "fighting weight" is closer to 185-190...I'll be there in a year or so), would like the ability to go to ground if absolutely necessary but would be in the hammock if at all possible.

The one thing I forgot to mention is zipper versus sewn footbox. I strongly recommend you get a sewn footbox. It will give you more toe space, be warmer and will save you about an ounce of weight, well worth the additional cost.

While on the subject, it’s worth mentioning that Hammock Gear is having a sale on quilts that ends today (the 7th). 15% off premium quilts and 10% off their econ line. HG cuts their standard size quilts a little longer, at 74”, good up to 6’2”. I like the HG quilts (that’s all I use) cause it gives me a bit more room while still fitting correctly. If you decide to go with HG, I recommend the Premium over Econ, (less weight, better materials), and the Premium price point will be right in-line with the Warbonnet quilt. If you buy HG, get an ounce of overstuff if you sleep regular, two ounces if you sleep cold.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I like my TQ a bit on the long side so I can throw it over my head if it is real cold.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    If you check out our quilt spec chart pdf (down the Diamondback page a ways) it gives the max user height for short, reg, long...but basically short is up to 5'6", reg is up to 6'0",and long is up to 6'6". If you are taller than 6'6" just email us and we can add a few inches to a Long

At the max height limit the quilt should be just long enough to avoid your toes poking tight against the end.

Width is measured at the widest point, which is basically across the chest to hips section of the quilt.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 06-11-2019 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    If you check out our quilt spec chart pdf (down the Diamondback page a ways) it gives the max user height for short, reg, long...but basically short is up to 5'6", reg is up to 6'0",and long is up to 6'6". If you are taller than 6'6" just email us and we can add a few inches to a Long

At the max height limit the quilt should be just long enough to avoid your toes poking tight against the end.

Width is measured at the widest point, which is basically across the chest to hips section of the quilt.
    Hey Warbonnet Guy:

Most quilt makers’ standard size topquilts are 72 inches in length and are good up to 6’. The standard length of the Diamondback is 73 inches, so wouldn’t that be good up to 6’1”, or is there some design element of the quilt that limits this. I know this sounds like splitting hairs, but I have found out (the hard way) that an inch or two of length can make a big difference.

Images
    Perhaps, I didn’t check everybodys specs, I just wanted to make sure somebody on the ground with feet somewhat pointed wouldn’t be pressing tight against the end of the footbox

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

Yeah I saw the size spec charts, I just needed someone to explain the "why" of the sizing being the way it is. I've never messed with (or likely even seen) a TQ before and wanted someone to walk me through it, especially since I can't handle any of the cottage vendors products without actually ordering something. There's no "try before you buy and pay for shipping" option so I want to make sure I understand everything before I commit, especially since the TQ I'm looking at is north of $400.

I love my Eldorado by the way. It's a great product.

• + New Posts