Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

multiple listing of For Sale items on other sites

Saw a FS post today that interested me and come to find out it was sold on another site same day - same hour perhaps. Isn't this bad form? I don't see a rule against doing so, but it seems better form to give folks on the forum a chance to respond promptly, and if that doesn't happen, then to list elsewhere. For me, that would probably be a day or two after a few bumps. I could see adding a note for immediate sale warning that its listed elsewhere. I dunno, not like I needed another tarp so its not sour grapes, just wondering if my perspective is valid.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I believe the mods have stated that anyone selling across multiple platforms just need to divulge that information in the post. I'm sure a member would be reprimanded or banned if they choose not to comply.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    There is no rule about listing in other locations or that one must say that it is? That would be a nightmare to police but should we get repeated complaint about a specific user not selling their items when "I'll take it" has been posted, it will certainly get our unwanted attention.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Saw a FS post today that interested me and come to find out it was sold on another site same day - same hour perhaps. Isn't this bad form? I don't see a rule against doing so, but it seems better form to give folks on the forum a chance to respond promptly, and if that doesn't happen, then to list elsewhere. For me, that would probably be a day or two after a few bumps. I could see adding a note for immediate sale warning that its listed elsewhere. I dunno, not like I needed another tarp so its not sour grapes, just wondering if my perspective is valid.
    Yes, your perspective is valid. There once was a time when it was expected that items posted on this site were offered only here. The membership was smaller and there was a greater sense of community. I don't know all the details but, events behind the scenes lead to a mass exodus of Moderators and a sense of community was lost.

With a new group of moderators, revisions to the For Sale Forum lead to a discarding of the expectation that an item posted was secured with the first "I take it". dkurfiss is accurate that it would be impossible to police but, it should not be beyond what we expect in our community. I buy less and sell less on this site as a result.

EDIT: Dakotaross, I just now noted your join date. You were here long before me so of course, you remember...
    Last edited by OCDave; 06-06-2019 at 20:03.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You could always start a thread of perpetrators

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've done this a few times and always make note that the item is offered concurrently on another site and the 'I'll take' time stamp is the honored. It's a bit a bear to manage, but otherwise it works fine. Agree... bad form if it wasn't made clear that it is offered elsewhere as well.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    In the few times where I have sold items, I've posted here first and had it up exclusively for a week. If it hadn't sold then I start posting elsewhere. I hope I don't make the post of perpetrators.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    In the few times where I have sold items, I've posted here first and had it up exclusively for a week. If it hadn't sold then I start posting elsewhere. I hope I don't make the post of perpetrators.
    There won't be a list of perpetrators The instances are few enough that they will be dealt with on a 1:1 basis. Should we have a discussion with an individual and the issue happens again, they will lose access to FS
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    No, I think that's cool. If there isn't an immediate response - and I mean like at least 24hours - then I think you can start putting it up elsewhere. If the thread is generating some interest, I would give it longer as the thread is getting bumped to the top of the New Posts listing. Its just a matter of respect to the forum to give members a chance to respond. Otherwise, you're just looking out for #1 to get it sold quickly and with the least effort - which while understandable, is still disrespectful. Happy to hear from others that I'm not such a crotchety old man for feeling this way.

Of note, since my "longevity" was mentioned, is that I find the For Sale forum remains mostly the same as its always been, and this in light of the fact that there are exponentially more folks here.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    There won't be a list of perpetrators
    So I can back off calling the mods "The Guardians" ??!?
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast