Hanging stuff on ridgeline

Hi everyone!

I just recently got the DIY bug and am looking to make a ridgeline organizer, a peak shelf, or maybe even a water bottle holder to hang from my ridgeline. I'm also currently waiting my Hyper D to come in the mail so I can make a new hammock too

If I have all this stuff on the ridgeline, I imagine it is going to weigh it down and cause it to sag wherever the stuff is hanging. This would then cause the ends of the hammock to be drawn slightly closer together, since the ridgeline isn't stretched out. Do you think this is enough of a difference that it should be taken into consideration when making the ridgeline? Like maybe adding another inch or two? Once I have it all together I'll mess around with the length and find out how much of a difference it makes. I was just curious if anyone already had experience with this that they'd like to share.

Thanks!
    Longsocks

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I would only think that it would make a difference if you start exceeding 10% (thumb suck number) of you body weight. With the proper 30 deg angle, the ridgeline tension should overcome the weight of what is hanging on it.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

The tension in the ridgeline is W(cot(b) - sin(a)/2), where W is your weight, b is the suspension angle, and a is the repeated angle of the isosceles triangle with two edges half the length of your hammock, and the third the length of the ridgeline (to find this, resolve the forces at your body vertically, and the forces at the point where the ridgeline meets the hammock suspension horizontally). Generally, b should be around 30 degrees, and your ridgeline should be around 83% of the length of your hammock, so a is around arccos(.83), which is 33.9 degrees. That makes the tension in the ridgeline W(cot(30)-cot(33.9)/2), which is, conveniently, pretty damned close to 1 (0.988, specifically). Thus, the tension in the ridgeline is pretty much equal to your weight.

Now, consider hanging something on your ridgeline. The effect depends on where you hang it, so we'll take the case that gives the biggest dip, and put it in the centre. Then the angle between the dipped ridgeline and the horizontal is arcsin(X/(2W)), where X is the weight of the thing that you're hanging [NB: I'm ignoring the extra tension on the ridgeline due to the thing that you're hanging, because it makes it easy, and should be small in comparison to the tension from your bodyweight]. The distance that the thing drops, then, is 0.2LX/W, to as much accuracy as anybody could reasonably care about. Let's say you hang 10% of your bodyweight off your ridgeline. Then the total deflection is 0.02L. Assuming an 11' hammock, that's about 2 inches.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you hang something on hammock ridgeline, and it causes more sag than you want, you could tighten suspension just a bit. I’d leave ridgeline same length.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    The tension in the ridgeline is W(cot(b) - sin(a)/2), where W is your weight, b is the suspension angle, and a is the repeated angle of the isosceles triangle with two edges half the length of your hammock, and the third the length of the ridgeline (to find this, resolve the forces at your body vertically, and the forces at the point where the ridgeline meets the hammock suspension horizontally). Generally, b should be around 30 degrees, and your ridgeline should be around 83% of the length of your hammock, so a is around arccos(.83), which is 33.9 degrees. That makes the tension in the ridgeline W(cot(30)-cot(33.9)/2), which is, conveniently, pretty damned close to 1 (0.988, specifically). Thus, the tension in the ridgeline is pretty much equal to your weight.

Now, consider hanging something on your ridgeline. The effect depends on where you hang it, so we'll take the case that gives the biggest dip, and put it in the centre. Then the angle between the dipped ridgeline and the horizontal is arcsin(X/(2W)), where X is the weight of the thing that you're hanging [NB: I'm ignoring the extra tension on the ridgeline due to the thing that you're hanging, because it makes it easy, and should be small in comparison to the tension from your bodyweight]. The distance that the thing drops, then, is 0.2LX/W, to as much accuracy as anybody could reasonably care about. Let's say you hang 10% of your bodyweight off your ridgeline. Then the total deflection is 0.02L. Assuming an 11' hammock, that's about 2 inches.
    Finally someone on here is speaking my language! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post

Wow thank you for the very detailed answer. I doubt I'll be storing too much weight up there so I guess I should be good!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Doesn't make a difference other than setup. Once you load the hammock with body weight, the SRL will tension... unless you weigh less than your water bottle and loaded RL organizer.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I hang SO much stuff on my ridgeline and it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't add any inches to it.

And I even hang two wool blankets over my ridgeline in the winter, plus my boots, and my water bottle. You'll be just fine.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

• + New Posts