Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have experimented with a number of pads in my Hammocktent 90 degree, Exped Ergo, and WBRR. For me it depends on what I am up to. For the most warmth I like the vertical tubes and down fill of the Exped MW Downmats (I don't need a LW); For normal use and every night hanging I like the Exped Synmats in MW; for backpacking it would be a Torso length wide width Thermarest NeoTrekker or a Downmat 7 short with foot pad or clothes; I find the Synmat Regular works for me also in warm season use. However, currently I have a Dream Hammock Sparrow with an Evazote CCF between the double layers (stays put in a diagonal extremely well as the Evazote material does not slide out of place in the Hex2.2 material) and a Synmat 7 Regular on top that I scooch into the diagonal. I am confident I could use only the Evazote CCF alone during the summer peak use.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Bill thanks for all the great info! (And billybob I don’t mind you hijacking the thread- it’s better to have all that great info in one place anyway!). Bill, one question- has any one ever tried a full length pad, augmented with a torso length uq? If it works, seems like you would have lots of options- just the hammock, to ground with the pad, just the pad in the hammock, pad and uq etc. I’m not even sure it would work-“ just throwing the idea out there!
    Are you referring to a pad under your legs with a torso UQ? (that works great for me). Or a pad under the torso in the hammock, along with an UQ?

At first I thought you were talking about stacking pads, but then I saw you were not. I know I have already talked about this next. For some reason- mainly too many other good choices I guess- I never used this but the one time. But for what might have been my 1st ever really warm night in a hammock(at about 20F), and for one of my warmest nights ever- I stacked pads. In a Speer SPE. I had an ancient (about 1983) torso sized Thermarest self inflating "ultralight". It was 1lb, 1" thick, R value 2.6. I stacked it over a full length TR Ridgerest, also R 2.6. The SPE hels it together nicely, with cut off sections of WM blue pad in he "wings" for shoulder/elbow warmth. All inside a Speer gathered end. Reasonably comfy, more comfy than the ground for sure. No trouble staying on the pads, no condensation. And so very warm. But if there was any possibility of going to ground, I would rather have a thicker neoair or something similar in that SPE.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Are you referring to a pad under your legs with a torso UQ? (that works great for me). Or a pad under the torso in the hammock, along with an UQ?

At first I thought you were talking about stacking pads, but then I saw you were not. I know I have already talked about this next. For some reason- mainly too many other good choices I guess- I never used this but the one time. But for what might have been my 1st ever really warm night in a hammock(at about 20F), and for one of my warmest nights ever- I stacked pads. In a Speer SPE. I had an ancient (about 1983) torso sized Thermarest self inflating "ultralight". It was 1lb, 1" thick, R value 2.6. I stacked it over a full length TR Ridgerest, also R 2.6. The SPE hels it together nicely, with cut off sections of WM blue pad in he "wings" for shoulder/elbow warmth. All inside a Speer gathered end. Reasonably comfy, more comfy than the ground for sure. No trouble staying on the pads, no condensation. And so very warm. But if there was any possibility of going to ground, I would rather have a thicker neoair or something similar in that SPE.
    Billybob, I was talking about using a torso length UQ with pads on the inside of the hammock under the legs.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Billybob, I was talking about using a torso length UQ with pads on the inside of the hammock under the legs.
    OK, in that case that has been successfully used by a fair number of folks, including my son and myself. I have used it on my GE and bridge hammocks, and it has worked quit well(for me) on both the JRB and WB bridge hammocks. It certainly can be a weight and bulk saver if you have any sort of sit pad- or pads as part of your pack- with you anyway. But, leg pads are often not needed until a good bit colder than what is needed for the back. Summer time I might sometimes need something for my back even in the south, but never for my legs.

Also, I personally have always felt that torso UQs are easier to get to fit and work right than full length, especially on a GE. Less to go wrong on the fit. With a GE, I often find a tendency for a full length quilt or pod to drop away from my left leg when on a diagonal with feet right. But I always get a good fit shoulders to butt with a torso UQ, then the pad is always in firm contact with the legs. And the pad can be moved if needed when I change position.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12