Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree straps

Tree straps

My existing tree straps are getting pretty worn and I need to replace them. When doing so I want to upgrade since I have to buy new ones anyway. This will be used mostly on overnight-weekend camp trips throughout spring-summer. Occasionally I go out for up to a week at a time but not often anymore now that I have a career job and family. These won't be left outdoors indefinitely. What I'm looking for is:
    • 1" webbing straps to use with a marlin spike hitch/toggle and whoopie slings (already have the slings and toggle)
    • sewn in loop on at least one end (both ends wouldn't be bad to have either so it could double as lashing lines in the canoe) - no hardware/carabiners/dutch clips/etc
    • super light weight and strong material
    • material that doesn't stretch/sag when wet and hopefully doesn't soak up a ton of water
    • ideally not some obnoxious color - earth tones are preferred but it's not a deal breaker to be yellow/white/blue but I'm not getting fluorescent colors or glow in the dark, or anything really wacky
    • 10-12' long

Where do I go, and what do I get to meet these needs the best? There are lots of materials and options out there these days. Literally all I'm looking for are the webbing straps.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are some strap options galore......https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...traps-huggers/

Carry forth,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Here are a couple other options. For super light weight, check out the Kevlar or Dyneema from Autumn Ultralight or the Dynaweave from Warbonnet. These materials meet all your other requirements, too.

https://www.autumnultralight.com/pro...ge/tree-straps

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...strap-builder/

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    I use and love Dutch's Spider Web 1.5 UHMWPE (aka "Dyneema") straps, right on the continuous loops with a becket hitch, with no other hardware. They are ridiculously light (1.5 g/ft), do not stretch, and absorb almost no water. I roll with the 15' straps and don't even bother with anything else like whoopies, because Amsteel is 1.4 g/ft, so there's almost no reason to use it, and 15' is enough for where I hang most of the time.
    Last edited by blackmagic; 06-03-2019 at 13:15.

Images
    If you want to keep it safe and simple, the standard 1" black webbing is sold by the foot in most hardware stores for about $0.35. It's what i use. No need to overcomplicate it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Fortress
    Insulation
    Too many to list
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I like the dutchware spider straps

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    RBTR Venom and Myerstech (hard to find link... check FB) also fit the bill, but most of these UHMWPE straps 'behave' more like cord than straps because they bunch up and are annoying to flatten out. All that really needs to be flattened is the section around the tree, but rather a PITA anyway.

I've settled upon Kevlar. I've been using the 3.3 variety from Dutch and have just ordered a pair of very light Kevlar straps from Autumn Ultralight... very reasonably priced as well, $30 for a pair of 12 foot straps.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here are some strap options galore......https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...traps-huggers/
    The Spider Daisy Chain Webbing is fantastic! Only $2 per foot and you can get whatever length suits you. This stuff is super strong and very lightweight, this is UHMWPE - a fantastic material!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    After going through a ton of options I've settled on Kevlar.. I was committed to 2.2 Kevlar for its' ease of releasing after loading it (I use 12' straps with a Becket Hitch to Dynaglide CL's). They meet all of your stated needs although they are not the cheapest option. I also have set of 1.9 Kevlar straps from AutumnUltralite. Looking forward to using them.

I have pairs of 3.3 Kevlar, Dutch SpiderWeb and MyersTech Dyneema and keep coming back to Kevlar.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Thanks for the input guys and gals. I’ve got some on order.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast