Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caddis76 View Post
    2. I need a place to store my stuff
    3. I need to figure out a way to hand my tarp low enough so that if the wind cuts across me I don't get a cold butt.
    For number two, what you did is what I've done many times. I have a piece of Tyvek with me and typically put it on the ground under my hammock. That gives me a place to stand in sock feet to enter/exit the hammock. In rainy weather, it gives me a dry place to stand.

Tyvek under the hammock is a good decision. I like to go backpacking deep in the woods, and the tyvek under my hammock is always a welcome place to store my gear, as well as stand without boots/shoes on.

For backpacking (obviously, won't apply if you are car camping)...another option is a cheap rain jacket (like frogg toggs) and a nylon strap with a fastex buckle.
    • Put your gear in the backpack, and put the regular pack cover on it.
    • Wrap your rain jacket around the entirety of the backpack, and zip it up. This keeps the suspension system dry, as well.
    • Pull the top-strap on your backpack out through the hood of the jacket.
    • Run the nylon strap around a tree, and through the top strap on your backpack, and tighten reasonably.
    • Tuck the hood of the jacket around the top-strap, so that rain runs outside the jacket, and not in.

The nice part of this option is that you can get dual-use out of your rain jacket.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by caddis76 View Post
    Hey all,

I finally got most of my gear together and headed to central PA for a weekend of flyfishing. I figured I'd let you know how it went.

I pulled into the primitive motorized site Friday around 12:00. I found two trees about 12 feet apart. In hindsight, this was a little tight. I pulled out my simply light designs starter hammock, and after remembering a video from Shug, I put up the hammock fairly easily. I even remembered to put the fronkey bugnet around the hammock first. I practiced a few times at home and that helped me remember the knots as in there was no cell service anywhere nearby.

I then set up my Hennessy hex tarp. I then realized a small error. The hex tarp is 12 feet, the length between the trees. I then forgot my knots, my mind went blank. I didn't see trees with a few more feet, but honestly, I thought I could manage. After much trial and error, I figured out a fix, but that left my tarp a little cockeyed, I figured if it rained, I would be ok as long as it rained straight down It was now 1:15. I did say much trial and error.

Thanks to mOOch for the tarp and bugnet. Despite my difficulty with the set up of the tarp, they both worked great the whole weekend.

I went fishing, came back and the tarp and hammock were still there!

I got back after dark and got ready for bed. I ordered my underquilt too late, so I went without it. The temps were in the 50's at night, so I just wore full thermals, warm socks, and a Melanza hoody. That worked on night one. Night two, the wind got too bad and I was shivering for a bit. My 40 degree EE quilt worked great. I used a small sit pad under my lower back and that helped a lot. I tried my full-size klymit v but it kept slipping and sliding. My arrowhead quilt should arrive this week.

It took me a while to fall asleep, the woods were super loud with life and it was a bit weird at first being exposed. I woke up a few times, probably because I went to bed pretty early for me. I may bring a book next time.

I ended up sort of sliding so that I was laying diagonal, my head was to the left. It was comfy so I just stayed there.

I didn't have any place to store my gear so I threw some on top of me and I put a small plastic sheet on the ground for my shoes and other stuff.

What went well:
    1. I didn't fall out
    2. The hammock didn't fall
    3. A tree didn't fall on top of me
    4. It was way more comfortable than my on the ground set up.
    5. The bug net was SUPER easy to get in and out.

What can be improved
    1. It was super loud- I need earplugs
    2. I need a place to store my stuff
    3. I need to figure out a way to hand my tarp low enough so that if the wind cuts across me I don't get a cold butt.
    4. First light woke me right up, I need to figure out a fix to keep it a little darker for me

Thanks again for your advice and answers to all the posts I searched through. I am gonna take this set up out in two weeks and I'll report back!
    Great trip report and great job analyzing! You'll get lots of advice, but wanted you to know how much I enjoyed your trip review!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Images
    Just to comment on one aspect of your trip report:

Memorizing knots is always a good idea, and practicing them occasionally is about the only way I can retain them in memory permanently. However, if you know you will have your phone but won't have access to the internet, you can always save images of useful knots on your phone ahead of time. Sites like netknots or 101knots have great illustrations of all the steps in a single image. An app like Animated Knots which shows the steps one at a time can also be used in offline mode.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Caddis76, you should check out the MAHHA fall hang in October. 50 or so hammocks hanging. Saturday am breakfast, workshops through the day, hog roast diner and raffle in the evening. A lot of hangers that would be more than happy to help you out!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Great. once it's scheduled I will try and make it!

caddis,

Sometimes I use an eye mask/eye shade to keep the light out. They are about 5 bucks and can be found in the travel section usually. Bonus is in cold weather they can also help warm a large portion of your face.

Great first trip.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    I concur with the noise and the light. I carry earplugs now even though I miss the birdies in the morning. Also I wear a knit hat that adds some warmth and I pull over my eyes. Going to be buying a mask for summertime though.
    I hadn't thought about the mask. I don't have a problem sleeping with the noise, but have woken up at first light every time I've been out.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First time out, results below

when you get an underquilt you'll notice a big difference in comfort! if you still feel a breeze, try out a 2qzq underquilt protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    when you get an underquilt you'll notice a big difference in comfort! if you still feel a breeze, try out a 2qzq underquilt protector.
    i didnt use an underquilt. now that u mentioned this, i got to get 1 underquilt soon to see if i can get even more comfortable.
    thanks for the suggestion
    gonna hope for some sales in amazon lol

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are a lot of simple fixes for your "can be improved" list. For example, on the "awake at first light" issue ... There are many threads in the forum where people are attesting to experiencing the first night out - anywhere; even in a hotel room - as being in Alert Mode. Each night after the first gets easier. A downside it that "ease" gets reset after each trip. So recognizing there is nothing wrong "out there" helps. Then find the direction the sun will come up. If possible put your hammock broadside to that and bring that side of the tarp lower to the ground. You can put the other side in porch mode so you don't feel you are in a cave.

An underquilt or three quarter to full length pad will GREATLY minimize the CBS. If you read the post about UQP's (under quilt protectors) you can decide if you want that too. I use them all the time because they make many aspects of setup less critical - from orientation of the tarp to UQ fit.

If that "stuff" is in a backpack, you can hang the pack from your hammock suspension line and next to the hammock it should also be covered by the tarp. There are also various "gear hammocks" that come in different sizes - some hang under the main hammock, some hang to the side, some use their own trees.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12