HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls

NH > Alexandria,NH > Oct 11-13, 2019 > Great Pumpkin Hang

2019 Great Pumpkin Hang

Camp Location

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS for ALEXANDRIALAND. Please read this FAQ before posting any questions.

Here is the 2018 thread for reference information

FAQ

Quick important points-
    -Text (603) 727-4329 to reach the Lebsacks.
    -Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier.
    -Try not to bring glass.
    -Do Not bring firewood.
    -All poop goes in the trash by the outhouse.
    -All food waste needs to go in the trash.
    -This is the wilderness and the wilderness is dangerous.
    -Everything is at your own risk, be smart.

Alexandrialand - Hi! We’re the Lebsacks. Eliot and I (Cindy) own 270 acres of beautiful forest in Alexandria, NH in between Cardigan Mountain and Newfound Lake. We have a camp for our family by a mountain stream way out in the middle of the wilderness. The Cardigan Mountain AMC trail system crosses the property and we also abut Welton Falls State Forest. There are plenty of close interesting things to hike to, especially if you can handle a little bushwacking. There are no buildings on the land, just a fifth wheel camper for our family and an outhouse.

Hanging - People usually hang in the hemlock trees near where we do the campfire and food. The old growth areas have very little underbrush. Some people hang further off on their own or closer to the parking. Really, you have 270 acres of trees to choose from, so you can find whatever your heart desires.

Weather -The land is a higher altitude than the surrounding area, so it tends to have its own microclimate and be 10 degrees colder than the forecast. Late October can be like a winter hang some years. If anyone wakes up really cold you always could bail to our fifth wheel which will be heated. You might not get much more than floorspace, but you won't freeze.

Access - Camp is one mile up a one lane dirt logging road. Pretty good shape, but there are some loose rocks, steep spots, and puddles. An adventurous Prius can make it fine. As far as I know, there isn't any logging going on now, but if there is, logging trucks going downhill always have the right of way even if that means you have to back up.

Parking - Parking is maybe 200 yards from where we set up and there is a wheelbarrow available if anyone needs it. We probably will open up some extra parking further up the hill too. If you don’t want to drive up the mile logging road you can park on the street. - Please do not drive down to the camper, this is a walking path.

Toilet - We have a large shed for privacy that has a standard ceramic toilet. We use a plastic bag system and we pack out the solids for you. We provide individual bags and cat litter and toilet paper and a big trash bin outside for everyone to throw their bags into. We empty the bin every 6 hours or so, so the smell isn’t a problem. It sounds complicated, but it is clean, simple, and you never need to see or smell anyone's poo but your own. We prefer if people mostly pee in the woods away from camp, but the bags and cat litter can be used for that if necessary. If anyone has more questions about this topic just ask, I know facilities are a hangup for many people and I wouldn't want some people to not come from not understanding what this system is. It is way less gross than a pit toilet or portapotty.

Water - Bring what you need for drinking. People usually have extra. We camp by a mountain stream, but there is a beaver pond upstream, so assume it has Giardia or whatever in it.

Dogs - It is ok to bring dogs, but please use your best judgement. We will probably have our two dogs there some of the time. People will have a lot of things that they really don't want pee on, there will be food out, lots of wildlife and possibly hunters in the woods.

Food - We do a lot of potluck meals and shared cooking. Some people stick to their own stuff and there is usually lots extra. Everything is very relaxed and friendly, so do what you prefer.

Alcohol - drink responsibility. There will be kids and dangerous things around. Please try to avoid glass bottles as much as possible since there is a ton of exposed granite and barefoot people.

Trash - We will have trash bins and will pack out the garbage. It’s great if you can keep waste to a minimum, but we expect a lot with the size of the crowd we usually get.

Firewood - Due to invasive species that like to eat our nice trees, we ask that you do not bring wood. We will have plenty of wood on hand and always appreciate some help processing logs into manageable firewood.

Wildlife - There are moose, bears, deer, coyote, foxes, mink, owls, bobcats and anything else that you find in the NH wilderness. Nothing but mice are acclimated to people so far and we would like to keep it that way. You don’t have to worry about bear proofing overnight as these ones do not associate humans with food and will steer clear of camp, but please help us keep it that way by not disposing of any food in the woods.

Activities - We’ll have lots of things going on. There are always small hikes and informal lessons on bushcraft topics. Cooking is a serious endeavor for some and we will have a few games around the campfire. Some people usually organize longer hikes depending on weather. Just ask around and we can point you to something your speed.

Guns - Although we have a shooting range set up, please no shooting at the hang. There are just too many people, pets and kids to keep track of.

Electricity - Nope. We have a small generator that we can run in an emergency.

Cell Service - Very spotty. You can count on not being able to make a call out, but many phones can send and receive sporadic texts depending on where you are standing. Expect cell phone batteries to drain very quickly unless they are on airplane mode. They use lots of juice trying to reach the towers. There is a 3G antenna and booster in the camper that works for some phones. There is a hill you can climb for a reliable 4G signal, but it's a hike. Texting (603) 727-4329 (Cindy's cell) is the most reliable emergency contact to give people if you aren't sure your phone will work.

Handicap Access - This is the rough forest and as such we are not very accessible. If you have special needs, please contact us so we can work together to try to accommodate you.

Directions

Our land is 15 miles from RT 93 exit 23 (mile marker 68) and that takes about 30 minutes to drive.

If you set your GPS to Cream Hill Rd, Alexandria, NH it might get you there, but check the directions. The way is simple, mostly straight and bearing right at forks, but people tend to get lost and GPS sometimes sends you on roads that are glorified cow paths. I tried to add a lot of details and landmarks so you know you are on the right track.

After the lake there are signs for "fresh eggs" with a chicken stencil that point the way. I will post little orange arrows with "HH" for "Hammock Hang" on them.

Cream Hill is a little dead end street. The entrance to the logging road is right where Cream Hill Road starts.

-Exit 23 off 93

-Left at end of ramp onto 104W /132S

-In 1 mi Continue Straight on 104W

-In 5 miles at light Continue Straight on to Lake St 3A North

-In 2 mi turn Left on West Shore road at blinking yellow light

-In 2 mi Continue Straight on Cartigan Mountain Rd

-In .5 mi Continue Straight onto Fowler River Rd

-In 1 mi Bear Right at fork (fresh eggs sign)

-In 3 mi Bear Right on Welton Falls Rd

-In .7 miles Bear Right at fork where you see campers and mailboxes

-Cross e2 bridge

-Pass Fowler River Cutting

-Pass Pitman Cemetery on left

-In .2 miles Logging Rd is straight in front of you at the Cream Hill Rd sign, Cream Hill Rd curves sharply to Right

-go Straight on logging road over the little bridge, then 1 mi up the hill.

Camper is down to the Left past yellow chain with "private" sign. Additional parking is up to the Right through gate labeled "hikers welcome"

- Please do not drive down to the camper, this is a walking path. We should have a wheel barrow to help with transporting gear at the camper.
    --
    John

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Awesome, I'll be there.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I am in!!!! Thanks Reason and Relax

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am not sure if we are in on this weekend yet. We have a lot going on this weekend. It's a three day weekend because of the holiday. There is a big Appalachian Trail get together in MA this weekend. Then it is also my birthday. Sorry but it is not looking good at this time.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Print2Fabric
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness HG
    Suspension
    Mantis w Spider Da
    Images
    Alex and I are so excited as this is our favorite hang of. the. year. <3 Thank you for hosting this incredible event.
    #burnallthepumpkins

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Excellent! Thanks John, Cindy, Elliott.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &amp; Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&amp;Dutch bkls
    Stoked that many of the regulars are going. Can't wait to see everyone, eat some good food and hang out around the fire!
    --
    John

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Still trying to convince Dan this is better Than the L and L hang, but he does not believe me. He is an ocean guy and I am a mountain girl.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Don't think I will be making it this year due to scheduling.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Im going to miss it!
    I live in Seattle now
    burn a pumpkin for me!