Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

Hiking and camping buddy wanted

Hi I'm from South eastern Ohio looking for someone to hangout with (no pun intended) I'm a 57 year old man. 5 years ago I lost my best friend when my younger brother past away and a year ago I had a heart attack so I don't like going out by myself.

If you ever come to SC we can hang up near the foothill trail .I hang with my wife or solo most of the time . Good luck

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    So sorry to hear about your brother. I'm about your age but live in GA so logistics would be a challenge for us to hike together but I do have a suggestion. Check out the "Hang outs and Trip Planning" Midwest subforum and attend a group hang close by. I'm sure you'll find several not too far away that will allow you to meet like-minded people near you. There are also quite a few Ohio Youtubers into hammocking. Maybe you could send them a PM and see if they might know anyone looking for a hiking partner (this particular route worked well for me!). Finally, I believe there is Midwest Hammock Hangers group on Facebook. That would be another place I would "advertise" for a partner. PS...if you do find someone through one of the online avenues I mentioned, be prepared for your family to expect that person to be a serial killer and think that you'll never return from your first trip!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Most people are understandably a bit leery about hiking with a stranger.However,I would venture to say most have never considered that they,like me,actually married one!

I think starting with a group hang would be a good idea or scouring the net for outdoor hiking groups/clubs in your area.Failing that you could just go to a popular hiking trail and meet other hikers etc.

Listen to Clisby Clark,your family will think you're nuts but you're not.One thing to consider is a personal locator beacon.I carry one just in case somebody needs assistance.(ResQlink and it weighs 5.5 oz.)

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’ve found a number of hiking partners by attending group hangs and getting to know some folks with like interests. That may be an option for ya.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Please see Private Message. There are tons of opportunities and groups in SE Ohio. You live in the epicenter of the activity. I sent you links and various group info., Besides that the Ohio Hammock forums outings group usually has monthly outings. Here is the link to the June outing planning thread that got started yesterday. OH group-June-Hanging Hobo and Ditz are great guys.

Group hangs are great places to find like minded folks. It's worked for me and I've made some really great friends that I've enjoyed many adventures with and get together on a regular basis.

Here's a quick example: About 6 years I did a quick solo overnight to the Jordan River Valley. I hiked into the campground and got set up. My neighbors on the site next door were in hammocks. One of the guys came down with his jetboil coffee press to share some coffee and I ended up hanging around with them around the campfire. The next morning we exchange contact info and kept in contact on HF. That's how I met Turkey and Squirrelbait. 6 months later we all got together to hike the Jordan. The 3 of us get into camp and of course there's a guy next door to us with his family using hammocks. With that, Christo joins our crew, which leads to more group hangs and expanding our core group, so that now, with a group text, you can always find someone to hang out with.

If you don't mind driving to Michigan, join us at the Gluttony Hang in October. Trees, campfire smoke and bacon go great together!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Plus one on the many hangers living in Ohio. For starters, contact the Smurfs (Deanna and Randy Smith) of Dream Hammock and they could probably link you up with some events going on in the Buckeye state and surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by markc61 View Post
    Hi I'm from South eastern Ohio looking for someone to hangout with (no pun intended) I'm a 57 year old man. 5 years ago I lost my best friend when my younger brother past away and a year ago I had a heart attack so I don't like going out by myself.
    Theres a couple ohio guys that get together at least once a month. Hobopelican just posted the June Ohio thread. I just backpacked Zaleski last weekend, we get down there or mohican pretty often. You're more than welcome to chime in on the Ohio hangs

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    I live in VT and hike NH, if you're ever in New England I could show you a few spots.

• + New Posts