Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch

GE neck pain??.

I have a ridge runner and a couple different 90 degree hammocks, but thought I'd give a GE a try thanks to warbonnets sale.

My new eldorado arrived this afternoon and I've had a couple hours to putz around with it. Super comfortable, but I've got a kink in my neck now! It feels like there's just way too much support under my neck. Is this common?

Hammock is comfortable otherwise. Foot end much higher than head end. Ridgeline tension seems good. Hammock is super comfortable, except in my neck.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try a pillow. Neck pillow like airplane c-curve pillow.
    Down pillow from one of the vendors on here.
    Stuff sack with just a few items in it to wrap around your neck.
    Don't need much.
    Some even use the inflatable pillows.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I don't own the Eldorado but I had the same problem early on in my hanging career. I solved it by lowering the foot end to the point where it was @ 12" higher than the head end. (it was @ 26" high before) I think what happened was my head was being forced into the "V" of the gathered end putting pressure on the side of my head, causing me to use my neck muscles to fight off the compressing of the "V". When I lowered the foot end and was able to slide down a bit more into the hammock sweet spot this solved the issue.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Practice, practice, practice. I'm personally opposed to adding a neck pillow to my kit, so I feel you can get used to anything if you practice. I have a hammock in my office, and I sleep in that regularly just to be ready for the trail. I used to not only get neck kinks, but also had a snoring issue (which I never have in a bed). With practice, however, both issues went away and I now sleep comfortable in a gathered-end hammock without a pillow.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You didn't mention if you were or weren't using a pillow. I have never found a pillow comfortable for my head. The hammock itself supports my head just fine. A pillow tilts my head up too far; puts too much of kink in my neck. I might have one up by my head to keep the bug net further away, or use one under my knee. Hard to imagine how, lying flat in the hammock, there would be strain on your neck. But if you were on your side, then you'd need something to make up the height difference between side of head and shoulder - to keep the neck level.

So a lot depends on your sleeping style in the hammock.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I had same issue and I am a side sleeper. I found a small pillow, my down jacket wadded up, anything that would give my head/neck some support did the trick.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Thanks. Seems clear a pillow might be the solution, although it feels more like less support is needed. Keep playing....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Thanks. Seems clear a pillow might be the solution, although it feels more like less support is needed. Keep playing....

It could be that the back of your head is supported by the hammock fabric, but without any support under your neck. That's the issue I have if/when I find myself wanting a pillow in a GE hammock. I don't want so much bulk in a pillow that it pushes my head farther forward, just a little something behind my neck to take some of the strain off.

After trying a few pillows I already owned and then trying a few "hammock" pillows from vendors, I found the Hammock Gear premium pillow (not the XL) is just the ticket for me.

https://www.hammockgear.com/premium-pillow/

I use hammock gears XL pillow and it's perfect for me. If ai dont use an decent pillow I get neck pain as well, not a luxury item for me. That said, that pillow is perfect amount of support for me and I dont have the issue when I use it. I did with dutchess apex pillow however.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Funny that this thread popped up. I never used a pillow before and often had that kinked feeling. Then a couple weeks back, while laying in the hammock, i took my hoodie off because i was getting too warm.
    While i was fumbling around, it fell behind my head and i laid on it. **** ! What a difference it made in comfort. So i too am currently looking for a pillow myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast