Hammock Bliss SBBF
    Tarp
    DD 3m x 3m
    Insulation
    Sleeping pad
    Suspension
    Cinch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    I don't own the Eldorado but I had the same problem early on in my hanging career. I solved it by lowering the foot end to the point where it was @ 12" higher than the head end. (it was @ 26" high before) I think what happened was my head was being forced into the "V" of the gathered end putting pressure on the side of my head, causing me to use my neck muscles to fight off the compressing of the "V". When I lowered the foot end and was able to slide down a bit more into the hammock sweet spot this solved the issue.
    I'm going to resurrect this thread as it helped heaps last night while I was suffering in my new hammock.
    I really thought I had it dialed in before I went camping yesterday but for an annoying 4 hours I could not get comfortable due to neck and shoulder pain.
    I tried different pillows, I tried changing the foot end height and changing the SRL length to change the sag. The straps were 30degrees and at the right height. Changed the firmness of the air mattress. It was getting pretty frustrating.
    But after reading ylnfrt's comment I think I worked it out and was finally able to get to sleep (it might of just been exhaustion though so I'll try again later).

I've got a Sky Bed Bug Free with the pocket that securely holds an sleeping pad. The fixed location of that pad kind of indicates where your head and feet should go so I kept trying to stay in that position. I also saw some info from warbonnet that stuck in my brain about keeping the foot end up and sleeping towards the head end of the hammock. So I kept trying to push my body up towards the head end which caused my shoulder and head to fight against the side of the hammock. So I finally just ended up sliding down into the hammock so my feet were hanging off the end of the air mattress and I felt like I was in the centre of the hammock. It felt MUCH better, my shoulders had room and my head could sit comfortably without being pushed/twisted over - didn't even need a pillow. I guess this is just the reason why you have to practice as there is no hard science to these things.
    SO-14a Assistant Chief Viscount of Research (Hammocks)
    International Space, Clouds and Tree Canopy Research Mission (ISCTCRM) - Sunshine Coast Region - Australia
    Layin' down and swinging. Lookin' up and singing!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Like some previous mentions, I don't need a pillow with GE hammocks. In fact, it would be horrible, tilting my head too far forward.

One less thing to carry.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    One catch with the Hammock Bliss is that unless you’re also using an underquilt, there’s no insulation under your head unless you slide down so far your head is on the pad; Had some issues with that (mostly with cold shoulders) when I used mine more often. I totally endorse the need to wiggle to find the sweet spot in any hammock, though — it’s not always intuitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Seems to me, the purpose of a pillow in a bed (among other things) is to keep your head/neck level when you turn on your side. In a hammock, for those mostly on their back, as cmoulder said, a pillow under the head would probably tilt the head too far forward. If I have a pillow in a hammock, it is mostly to add some knee support or keep the side/net of the hammock a little further from my face. I’m fortunate - it’s a feature, not a bug - to be short enough that the UQ usually covers me, on the bottom, from head to toe. But even if the UQ stopped at my shoulders, a balaclava or other sleeping cap is usually all that is necessary for comfort.

These days, to play with Technology, I’m using a Fitbit watch to track my sleeping quality. Seems the Ridge Runner is giving me longer/deeper sleep, though either the bridge or GE is better than indoors.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-11-2020 at 13:01.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Thanks. Seems clear a pillow might be the solution, although it feels more like less support is needed. Keep playing....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Jim, I'm curious about a couple of things, if you are still following this thread. Did you ever get this solved?

Are you free of these problems in your bridge and HT90º?

This reminds me of many years ago, when the only hammock for Neo was the Claytor Jungle hammock. I remember he said that any other hammock gave him the neck kink from H***!

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Jim, I'm curious about a couple of things, if you are still following this thread. Did you ever get this solved?

Are you free of these problems in your bridge and HT90º?

This reminds me of many years ago, when the only hammock for Neo was the Claytor Jungle hammock. I remember he said that any other hammock gave him the neck kink from H***!
    Kinda sorta I guess. I use the same pillow I've used camping for years. CAn't remember the brand. Cocoon maybe? It rolls up to a tiny ball, and is inflatable. More or less air depending on hammock seems to get me where I want to be.
    The GE is something I want to figure out but haven't found the right one. Sleeping wise, nothing beats the HT90 for me, but I want the bigger tarp for entering/exiting/lounging you get with a GE or bridge. I'll be selling the bridge and trying another GE soon, but I know the HT90 will never be for sale. It is "the best".

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I find I need a very small height under my head.
    I tried inflatable pillows but they were usually too high.
    I now use my down jacket inside my top-quilt bag and it’s perfect.
    It does tend to end up more under my neck than my head.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I don’t need much. In the summer I use an inflatable pillow, but find that I prefer a wool glove under my neck in the winter.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I wonder about the inflatable pillows. How large are your inflatables and how "fluffy" are they?

Asking because like ChrisJHC I can't really use my inflatable pillow to sleep. I have a Teton Sports "ComfortLite" and I can only use it for under my knees and while watching Netflix or perusing hammockforums on the phone It's great for that, because it props my head up to a good angle but I can't ever get to sleep on it, even when I push all the air out of it because even then it's just too 'rigid' when almost deflated. I can sleep on it in the bed/tent though, because it props up the head to the right height (side sleeper here) like cougarmeat said. But I have another very very thin but wide camping pillow (not inflatable, just synthetic filling and not even really compressible), which is perfect in the hammock for sleeping.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I use a tiny tempurpedic (10x12) at home for nightly sleeping. For in the field I either a insulated jacket stuffed back into a sleeve or I a Zpacks roll top stuff sack that has micro fleece on one side specifically to double as a pillow and stuff it with some article of clothing (6x8)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast