Waterproof cover

Is there a tarp-like price of gear that I could put over my whole hammock setup like a sock instead of setting up an actual tarp?

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Saran wrap? I'm curious why you would want to do this? Maybe an emergency bivy sack? The condensation would be so high I'm not so sure you wouldn't be wetter than without any cover though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Condensation is gonna kill you. Buy hey, go for it if that's what you wanna do.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Warbonnet makes this for the Ridgerunner Bridge, and I think they make some similar items for their gathered end hammocks, just look around at their site:
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...r-accessories/
    Other manufacturers make something similar.
    Now, this is not a tarp replacement, as it is only water resistant, not water proof. But it certainly allows you to use a much smaller tarp, or with whatever tarp to pitch it high and wide. These are breathable. Still, many using various breathable socks, top covers or UQ protectors complain of condensation. This is to be expected, since you can also get condensation on nets(how you gonna get more breathable than a net?) and on your quilt in the neck/upper chest area when conditions are right. I have had this happen more than once below 20F, with my quilt ending up quite damp near my face, not even under a sock or net.

But, if desiring to go this route, condensation can be greatly reduced. One way is by leaving a good sized opening near your face on the lee side, away from the end. But the best way is to use a frost bib. Just a thin piece of fleece, with a head hole cut in it, that goes over your head and blocks your breath. It can lay down flat on your TQ or be connected to your ridge line, hanging a couple of inches in front of your face. It is a good idea even without a sock, to keep your breath from condensing on your TQ. A ton of condensation will happen on this bib, but it will greatly reduce any that happens elsewhere. Look up Shug's video on a frost bib, I think he frequently uses one, even without any sock.

I have slept fully enclosed in a waterproof under cover, and under a water resistant top cover, with a 6" diameter breathing hole close to my face(no tarp that night). With a frost bib. At 6F, I was surprised to end up very dry inside all of that. The bib was quite wet, but all else was dry. However, I was also using vapor barrier clothing, and I don't know how much that contributed to my dry experience. It certainly didn't hurt, may have helped, but the great bulk of moisture is from exhaled breath, and the bib seemed to catch most of that.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Well, I did post about "The Hammisack" a while back. Care to give it a try? I checked their site...they even dropped the price from $149 to $99! Better hurry up though, they have until June 6th to fully fund the Kickstarter ($25k). They got $997 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post
    Is there a tarp-like price of gear that I could put over my whole hammock setup like a sock instead of setting up an actual tarp?

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk
    Nothing that'll replace a tarp. If you make the top cover or sock waterproof you'll build up moisture inside your sleep area.

I use a hammock with a top cover year round, the moonlight top cover from dutch, and an asym tarp and uqp which gets me by 99% of the time and protects me 360 from precipitation.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, ZPacks TQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE/Amsteel
    Would be nice to have one of those made of DCF and .5 noseeum.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Like others have noted, something like that will likely lead to condensation issues inside the hammock. Tarps provide coverage, but they also allow for excess moisture to escape. A lot of top covers (not waterproof) have a mesh opening which will allow excess moisture to escape as well.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

• + New Posts