Phoenix Econ 20 vs Greylock 3

Hey everyone! I am in the market for a new underquilt. I currently have a Loco Libre Saver Series Habanero 30 at 55" long. I have been warm down to the low 30's, but being in Maine, I want a warmer underquilt.
    I have narrowed it down to these 2:
    Hammock Gear Phoenix Econ 20, $150 17.6oz
    Jack's R Better Greyock 3, $175 17oz

Is there anyone who has experience with both of these? And why you would choose one over the other? Thanks!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have a Greylock 3, and have had it down to right around 30, and got a chill. Could have been setup, or maybe just that I am a cold sleeper, not sure. Love it as a quilt though, but can’t say I would take it below 30 without something to supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'd recommend a low temp like 10° if you are going warmer as a 10 degree different isn't enough in my opinion.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I'd recommend a low temp like 10° if you are going warmer as a 10 degree different isn't enough in my opinion.
    I agree with TrailSlug. If you’re sticking with a 3/4 quilt, consider the Greylock 4 or the Econ 0° or 10°, that way you have 2 clearly defined temp ranges.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Thanks for the responses so far!!

I plan on selling my Habanero 30 once I get a new quilt. What I have, should work well in most of the camping that I do, but it came in a bit heavier than I expected at 20.5oz. Since I should be able to lose some weight, and get something warmer, that's my plan.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAndInk View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far!!

I plan on selling my Habanero 30 once I get a new quilt. What I have, should work well in most of the camping that I do, but it came in a bit heavier than I expected at 20.5oz. Since I should be able to lose some weight, and get something warmer, that's my plan.
    I have not tested a Greylock 3, but for years I have had a similar model- the no longer made MW3 convertible. Same rating as the GL3. I have never pushed it below 20F, but I have slept quite toasty at 25F, wearing cotton PJs and using a JRB TQ of the same rating. This was in full length mode, wrapped around a JRB UL bridge hammock. But I have no doubt the results would have been exactly the same if I had been using it in short mode along with a pad under my legs. I also am pretty sure I could have gone at least 5F lower, considering how warm I was. But that is guessing. I have used it successfully in short mode many times, at about the rated temp, but not over night, just for day hike naps.

I'll share some of my observations. I have (2) HG quilts (40 degree Econ Phoenix, 20 degree Econ Incubator) and I have a GL 3. My GL 3 is about 4 years old. I don't have a thermometer cause I don't care about the actual temperature. I have used my GL 3 in February in NC when the forecast was for 25F and I have been comfortable. I am 51 years old and I take blood thinner and I tend to be a cool sleeper. I used a Sierra Sniveller top quilt with a Thermarest sit pad in the footbox. I did have a JRB summer fleece inserted in the top quilt cause I wasn't sure how it was going to be. My GL 3 is 52" long, I believe the newer ones are 58" long. I tried adding the Prussicks on each corner as the Jacks video shows and it certainly helped with the "accordian effect". I ordered (4) loops from ZPacks with the cord locks and I larksheaded them on the 4 corners. I then put a shock cord on each end and basically created a secondary suspension. That works really well. The GL3 does not have the draft collar on the ends, but I haven't had issues. I was comfortable around 25F.
    I have not used my Incubator 20F. I'm sure it will be find. It is the Econ version. The following is an unscientific observation: The 25F GL3 has more perceived loft than the 20F Econ Incubator. I have not taken a ruler and measured, but the GL3 puffs a lot thicker sitting on the floor than the 20F Incubator. I don't think the Incubator is understuffed, I just think the GL3 is underated (more down than needed for the 25F rating). I do like the fact that the GL3 baffles run in the direction they run. It is really easy to migrate the down form the upper side of the quilt (opposite the feet) down to the bottom to overfill that lower region area.

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I'll share some of my observations. I have (2) HG quilts (40 degree Econ Phoenix, 20 degree Econ Incubator) and I have a GL 3. My GL 3 is about 4 years old. I don't have a thermometer cause I don't care about the actual temperature. I have used my GL 3 in February in NC when the forecast was for 25F and I have been comfortable. I am 51 years old and I take blood thinner and I tend to be a cool sleeper. I used a Sierra Sniveller top quilt with a Thermarest sit pad in the footbox. I did have a JRB summer fleece inserted in the top quilt cause I wasn't sure how it was going to be. My GL 3 is 52" long, I believe the newer ones are 58" long. I tried adding the Prussicks on each corner as the Jacks video shows and it certainly helped with the "accordian effect". I ordered (4) loops from ZPacks with the cord locks and I larksheaded them on the 4 corners. I then put a shock cord on each end and basically created a secondary suspension. That works really well. The GL3 does not have the draft collar on the ends, but I haven't had issues. I was comfortable around 25F.
    I have not used my Incubator 20F. I'm sure it will be find. It is the Econ version. The following is an unscientific observation: The 25F GL3 has more perceived loft than the 20F Econ Incubator. I have not taken a ruler and measured, but the GL3 puffs a lot thicker sitting on the floor than the 20F Incubator. I don't think the Incubator is understuffed, I just think the GL3 is underated (more down than needed for the 25F rating). I do like the fact that the GL3 baffles run in the direction they run. It is really easy to migrate the down form the upper side of the quilt (opposite the feet) down to the bottom to overfill that lower region area.
    HillbillyHanger Thanks!!
    I know they are different temp rating, but which would you say you like more, the Greylock 3, or the Phoenix 40? Because of the leg shelf, is the Phoenix affected if you aren't laying perfectly on your back?

Thanks for the help everyone! It was a tough decision, but Hammock Gear was having a sale and I decided to try the Econ Phoenix 20 with 1oz of overstuff. I can't wait to get it!!

• + New Posts