Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WB Superfly: Silnylon or Silpoly?

As many of you hangers probably know, Warbonnet is having a Memorial Weekend sale. I am planning a Lash in early March 2020 for about 60 days and am going to pull the trigger on a Superfly Tarp today or tomorrow and get in on the sale prices. I use a WB Blackbird XLC. My plan is to get an 11 foot Superfly. The question is 30D Silnylon or 20D Silpoly? The silpoly is an ounce lighter (18 oz. vs. 19 oz.) and is said to pick up less water weight than the nylon. Warbonnet says the silpoly stretches less than the nylon but, the silnylon is more durable. Both are on sale until tomorrow for $108.00. Help me decide.

Or, should I just put myself out of my misery and order a Cuben fiber tarp.

thanks! I'll post this on Hammock forums also and see if they can impart some wisdom.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Up to you...I have the Thunderfly in silpoly. Packs down crazy small. Works for me for my type of backpacking. If I ever did a true winter trip, I'd spring for the Superfly or the DCF Winter Palace. From what I understand, DCF is a bit bulkier...that's about the only drawback (besides the price).

Since my original post here, I've found several threads on this very topic. It seems that silnylon is tried and true, silpoly is a newer creation with not quite the proven track record of the nylon but, even by now, it's not new anymore and seems to be standing up quite well.

Any comments on which material packs down smaller?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Between silpoly and silnylon? Dunno, but can't be too much of a difference. A buddy of mine has the 30d silpoly bushwack camo Thunderfly and it came in the same stuff sack size as my 20d. So, I would guess the 30d silnylon would be comparable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I found the silpoly in my Minifly to be awesome and almost like DCF in the fact that it didn't absorb water and remained tight when wet. I'm looking forward to more manufactures using it

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Silpoly feels significantly weaker. But I have yet to have any issues with it.
    The less water absorption is nice, but the low stretch, esp when wet is a huge benefit. Silpoly all the way.

I dont have 2 exact tarps, one nylon one poly, but I do have 2 that about near the same square yardage. The pack size is negligible between them. 30d on both.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I have tarps in both silpoly and silnylon, and while the low stretch and low water absorption are nice, I opted for the durability of the silnylon on the superfly I just ordered. I may regret the decision in terms of the silpoly characteristics I miss out on (the silpoly does certainly provide a tight pitch), but I know I will worry less about the durability. Shock cord loops on the tie-outs have always done well enough for me in terms of taking up slack due to wetness.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

WB Superfly: Silnylon or Silpoly?

the 30d simply might offer you a great compromise.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthofingers View Post
    As many of you hangers probably know, Warbonnet is having a Memorial Weekend sale. I am planning a Lash in early March 2020 for about 60 days and am going to pull the trigger on a Superfly Tarp today or tomorrow and get in on the sale prices. I use a WB Blackbird XLC. My plan is to get an 11 foot Superfly. The question is 30D Silnylon or 20D Silpoly? The silpoly is an ounce lighter (18 oz. vs. 19 oz.) and is said to pick up less water weight than the nylon. Warbonnet says the silpoly stretches less than the nylon but, the silnylon is more durable. Both are on sale until tomorrow for $108.00. Help me decide.

Or, should I just put myself out of my misery and order a Cuben fiber tarp.

thanks! I'll post this on Hammock forums also and see if they can impart some wisdom.
    I've never had a SilNylon, but do have a Winter Dream 12 in SilPoly with internal end pole mods. I don't sense any durability issues with it. I also keep an eye on the wind and stake it out accordingly when not in camp. So far, no issues, no signs of stress. But, I've also not had accident or near accident with it, like a branch falling on it where one may endure better than the other.

I did order a Thunderbird SilPoly on the Memorial Day sale that is somewhere between Colorado and here... looking forward to trying it out with the external pole mods.

I absolutely love my UGQ WD12 with the end pole mods.... it's SO easy and enjoyable to have a full vista w/o the need for trekking poles or sticks to rig up a 'porch' mode... with fleaz on the corners, I can go to oh-chit hunker down mode in seconds.

I ordered the Thunderfly to have a tarp for other family members and because I just wanted to try one. We'll see which one ends up in my pack when traveling solo.... Most of my camping is via canoe, so any weight difference is negligible for me (and may be while hiking as well... I do likes me some Winter Dream in any season !! Especially on light rainy days where you can leave the porch open and enjoy the rain !!!)

Good luck with whatever you go with! (or went with!)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    About 5 years with silnylon, then repurchased the same tarps in silpoly. Sold the nylon.

I hardly notice the difference anymore. Both were bombproof in my mind. I don't notice the "less water absorption" unfortunately. But the less stretch with silpoly is nice.

Slightly lighter and packs smaller as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast