Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    During hot summer months, I prefer to hang at the beach in a summer rental house....no UQ needed!Attachment 175005
    Not sure if I already said that. Your hammock is very beautiful!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a DIY UQ made from a Tribe Provisions "Adventure Blanket" (only $20, but almost 2 lbs. and bulky). Last Summer, I used that underneath and a TexSport fleece sleeping bag liner as a TQ and was plenty warm. IMO, fleece is the way to go in humid weather because it seems to wick away a bit of moisture and it's breathable enough that you don't get too hot. Well, I didn't, anyway.

BTW, I have the same setup as you (20 degree HG Econ Incubator & Burrow). They were fantastic back in January & February here in PA. A couple weekends ago, with temps around 50 overnight on the AT, I got up several times to pull the TQ on or shove it off. I also had the UQ pretty well vented at both ends. So, that combo is almost definitely going to be too warm during the Summer.

Images
    Are you going to have some sort of sit pad, that hopefully is torso sized? Then just go without, and if it is too cold at 0400, add that pad for those last few hours.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never tried to go without insulation. Even my first two years of hammocking, I always used at least a ccf pad. Since then, I've used 20* quilts in summer, and even my 0* quilts in summer. I never vent my UQ, and will just kick off the TQ if I get hot. Luckily, here in the Northeast, you can always count on overnight lows being at least 75* F, but usually lower.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    This is a very interesting and thought-provoking thread for me. This thread (along with one other) is causing me to rethink (really think harder) about insulation for a thru-hike on the AT down the road. Late February very early March start NOBO. I'm comfortable with winter temps in the low teens (could dance in the upper single digits if I push it) so what I have I'm good with but as the hike goes on and the temps go up I'm pretty sketchy on what I'll need to have available. Of course, carry weight is a big concern as I'm working to get the base weight into the low teen upper single digits (single digits is probably not going to happen with a hammock set up which is non-negotiable). Lots of data to gather but very interested in the musings going on here.

Please, continue people...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
    This is a very interesting and thought-provoking thread for me. This thread (along with one other) is causing me to rethink (really think harder) about insulation for a thru-hike on the AT down the road. Late February very early March start NOBO. I'm comfortable with winter temps in the low teens (could dance in the upper single digits if I push it) so what I have I'm good with but as the hike goes on and the temps go up I'm pretty sketchy on what I'll need to have available. Of course, carry weight is a big concern as I'm working to get the base weight into the low teen upper single digits (single digits is probably not going to happen with a hammock set up which is non-negotiable). Lots of data to gather but very interested in the musings going on here.

Please, continue people...
    I don't really know. It sounds a bit tricky, though many have come up with the right answer I'm sure.

But, one thing to keep in mind as the summer temps continue to go up: all depends on where you are, and what elevation, does it not?

If you are talking about MS, the miracle for me MOST nights is: can I even stand to be trying to sleep outside, because of the heat and humidity. At 10,000 feet in the Rockies, it might still freeze any night of the year, and most nights are still going to be cold enough to need something under the hammock, or a pad.

So, hiking the AT in summer: what are the likely elevations? 2K to 5K? And how far north? So averaging 3.5-5*F cooler per 1000 ft, that could be 7-10* cooler than down here in MS even at just 2K elevation. Kind of the normal differences commonly seen in my house in Tupelo(forecast low tonight 71) and my buddy in Asheville, NC( Forecast low 63). Later in the week it is 68 here vs 56 there. Not much north/south dif, but a good 2K elevation dif.

But, will you be at 4K? 5k? That could make a 15-25 degree dif compared to old MS on any given day. So depending on how high in the mountains you are sleeping, and what kind of cold snap they might also be dealing with, a summer night that might leave me needing all the cooling effect I can get from my hammock and not even considering any insulation(say lows in the 70s-80s) might leave me- on the same calendar date- shivering in the higher elevations. Especially once you get well over 2000 to 3000 ft of elevation.

Clearly, if I was sleeping out this next week here in Tupelo, MS, I might well get away with NOTHING under me, especially if wind is well blocked with either tarp or UQP Worst case, I might not be warm enough for a good sleep for a couple of hours near dawn. But not even going much north, and planning the same trip to even as high as Asheville, NC, ain't happening. I'm not going to be any where near warm enough at the mid 50s- low 60s without a little something under me for insulation. And if I am sleeping somewhere even higher in the mountains? Fahgettaboutit.

Now, if I am in my bridge with pad pocket, experience shows me that I can slip my cut off torso sized WM blue pad in there, maybe even after I get cold near dawn, and I will be fine for anything summer has to offer even in most eastern high elevations. And I probably have that with me anyway. In a GE, well, then you have that pad in a GE thing, but it can be done for a couple of hours, and I find torso pads easier to use than full length anyway.

If using an UQ, I am for sure going with one of my 10 oz to 13 oz torso models. Both are over kill for summer even in the AT mountains, but I don't have anything lighter. If it is high in the Rockies, I take gear for the 20s at all times. Considering my personal record is 1+ foot of snow followed by 24F on June 27th. ( or, 2 days of rain followed by 15F 1st week of Sept)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Did a quick overnight in woods
    Used a borrowed 50 underquilt
    Had a tee shirt and jeans
    A cotton sheet for top “insulation”
    Was ok UNTIL
    Woke up cold at 445 am
    It was so close to coffee time that I did not get back in hammock
    Low was 66
    Was cold on top
    If I’d not had underquilt, probably would have had to bail much earlier

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Understand. I only tried to go without an UQ one time. VA August..90+ humid day/65 still humid night. I had a top fleece blanket and a double layer hammock so obviously no need for an UQ since it's double layer. WRONG!

I woke up at 2AM freezing my tail off. I grabbed the wool blanket from the trunk of the trike and went back to sleep on it. I learned my lesson. I always have an UQ set up even if it's only a PLUQ pushed to the side. I don't want to wake up at 2AM cold again!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Skipping insulation in summer heat

I went camping one night in early fall...well in south Louisiana early fall is still pretty much summer. it was mid October and the lows for the night were upper 60s. I brought my 30 degree TQ, a 360 degree bug net, pants, and a long sleeve shirt. No UQ. I was cool at some points in the night....cooler than I wanted to be.

I bought a 40 degree partial length under quilt and now I never camp without insulation underneath...even if the lows are pushing 80

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Did a quick overnight in woods
    Used a borrowed 50 underquilt
    Had a tee shirt and jeans
    A cotton sheet for top “insulation”
    Was ok UNTIL
    Woke up cold at 445 am
    It was so close to coffee time that I did not get back in hammock
    Low was 66
    Was cold on top
    If I’d not had underquilt, probably would have had to bail much earlier
    I made that mistake going camping in Arkansas last summer. lows were mid 60s and I decided to use a sheet instead of my tq. I figured a 30d would be overkill.....welllll I'd being the TQ next time because I got cold too!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast