Tarp worms without shockcord

Is there a method to use Dutch tarp worms without shock cord? The only videos I can find all seem to attach them to shock cord on the tarp end, and guy line on the steak end. Is there an alternative setup? I'd be worried about tying the worms permanently to the tarp, for fear that they would tear it when it is packed away. So I'm looking for a method that easily attaches/detaches to the plastic loops on the tarp.

Or, is it really worth switching over to using shock cord? I'd like to eliminate it if possible, because of the additional weight and space. For most trips it's not an issue, but it seems easier to have a single setup stored, rather than having to worry about what to swap out during backpacking trips.

I have a Warbonnet Superfly, made of silpoly. I've never used shock cord on this, and it's been ok, even in fairly strong winds and rains.

Images
    Tarp worm have no sharp points, corners, or edges, so I wouldn't worry about them tearing anything.

If you don't want to leave them on the tarp, then a good alternative would be hookworms. These work just like tarp worms, but they attach and detach from loops at the tarp corners. The loops could be shock cord, or if you don't want shock cord, they could be small continuous loops of Zing-It or Lash-It. Either way, the weight and space taken up by 4-8 small continuous loops of shock cord or Zing-It are pretty negligible.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 05-25-2019 at 21:56.

Would the hook worms or tarp worms work with guy line, instead of Zing-It or Lash-It? Is there a difference in diameter of the cord that would make it not work as well? I already have a tone of guy line (from Warbonnet).

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardcobra View Post
    Would the hook worms or tarp worms work with guy line, instead of Zing-It or Lash-It? Is there a difference in diameter of the cord that would make it not work as well? I already have a tone of guy line (from Warbonnet).
    Yep, they work with any guyline, even the thinnest. There might be an upper limit on the size of the cord that will work, but any vaguely lightweight guyline will be ok.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Yep, they work with any guyline, even the thinnest. There might be an upper limit on the size of the cord that will work, but any vaguely lightweight guyline will be ok.
    I think about 2mm line would be the maximum that would fit through the holes. But you're right that there's really no lower limit on size.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about the Tarpworms damaging your tarp, but if you wanted to be extra safe you could always get Hookworms. Same functionality as the Tarpworms, but detachable.

Also, you don't necessarily have to use a loop made from shock cord. If you use a non-elastic loop, I would make sure, though, that the breaking strength is lower than that of the tarp. Especially if the tarp in question is made with a lightweight polyester.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use Tarp Worms on all of my tarps.. with 1.2 Z-Packs Z-Line. They are smooth and won't damage your tarp.

One tarp has shock cord the other two don't. I have the tarp worms threaded on a loop of the same Z-Line tied through the 1/2" Beastie D on the tarp using a double fisherman's knot. On the Palace I have the loop doubled. With the shock cord, I have a small (1.5") loop through the beastie and then a second loop of Z-Line with the Tarp Worm on it. Can't lie.. I've tripped on my guy lines once and having the little shock loop gave just a wee bit of stretch that I am sure helped with a happy ending.

It cost a few dollars extra, but leaving the tarp worms and guy lines on each of my tarps, makes it so simple and I impossible to forget. Grab a tarp and go.

No issues at and frankly, I don't ever see myself changing this setup. The Z-Line has a bit of stiffness to it (like Dutch Wire) that makes turning the little loop of the Tarp Worm and absolute breeze, even with gloves on.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

WB also has some similar hardware...

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardcobra View Post
    Is there a method to use Dutch tarp worms without shock cord? The only videos I can find all seem to attach them to shock cord on the tarp end, and guy line on the steak end. Is there an alternative setup? I'd be worried about tying the worms permanently to the tarp, for fear that they would tear it when it is packed away. So I'm looking for a method that easily attaches/detaches to the plastic loops on the tarp.

Or, is it really worth switching over to using shock cord? I'd like to eliminate it if possible, because of the additional weight and space. For most trips it's not an issue, but it seems easier to have a single setup stored, rather than having to worry about what to swap out during backpacking trips.

I have a Warbonnet Superfly, made of silpoly. I've never used shock cord on this, and it's been ok, even in fairly strong winds and rains.
    How do you pack your tarp? Stuff it back into the stuff sack? I could see maybe the possibility of puncturing if you had the sorta pointy end pushing into the tarp while trying to smoosh it into the stuff sack. I really doubt it though. I have a thunder fly in silpoly and it's pretty slick. If you're using a tarp sleeve, I don't think it would be a possibility at all since everything gets pulled in-line when you stow the tarp.

Yeah, I still use the stuff sack. I haven't switched to skins yet. So I just fold it up a few times, then squish it into the stuff sack.

• + New Posts