Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Bridge Hammocks - Types & Comparisons

Hey all!

Let's talks Bridge Hammocks! (if this thread already exists, let me know).

I've got a bunch of standard gathered end asym hammocks. GT, ENO, DH, and others. They're fine and fun but I want to learn more about bridge's and dive in!

So: let your knowledge flow! I'm wanting it all: types, brands, ideal materials, sizes, weights, spreader bar options, simplicity, complexity, comfort... all of it!
    (after a while we can post a poll and get an idea of popularity of the options we'll learn in this thread)

GO!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner. The most popular, by far, bridge hammock and in my opinion one of the most comfortable hammocks ever made.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    If you’re going to buy one, get a Ridgerunner. Fantastic product.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The only downside you might find with the Ridge Runner compared to your gathered end hammocks is its span, or tree distance, requirement. Two lines come off each end at the spreader bars. They meet and a metal "D-Ring" and continue to your suspension of choice - whoopie sling, webbing, daisy chain, etc. A recommended distance between those two D-rings is 13 ft. The angle can be more like 25 degrees rather than 30. A 15 ft tree distance will give about a foot of suspension beyond the D-Ring and a height on the tree between 50 and 70 inches, depending upon your desired hang angle.

Because the Bridge is wider, you'll want to stake your tarp out wide and/or use pole mods, external or internal, to keep the tarp away from the spreader bars. You can buy little rubber guards to put on the spreader bar tips or may your own with scrap bicycle inner tube tire.

Because the suspension need about 13 ft before they come to one point, you'll want a longer tarp if you want to completely close its doors. Even though the doors don't completely close, a SuperFly tarp has worked fine for many folks with the Ridge Runner. Also, 13 ft tarps are becoming more a standard option (Winter Dream, MountainFly, ThunderFly, etc.)

Note that there are other bridge hammocks the don't have as much tree distance requirement.

Caution: when getting in/out of a bridge it is important to put your hand on the far edge for stability. In order to drive this lesson home, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNhnFt41pD4
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I have long been a bridge hammock fan, but they certainly have their pros AND cons. Actually, IMO that applies to most hammocks and insulation systems of all types- PROS AND CONS.
    Some cons:
    As cougar said, one of the obvious negatives for the WBRR is the distance required between trees. I think the suggested minimum is 15 ft. ( at the opposite extreme is a 90 degree Hammocktent which requires about 7 ft! Most other hammocks require maybe 10-12 ft )

Now, I never thought that requiring several extra feet between the trees out in the woods with so many trees would actually be a practical problem, but I have had many a place where I really wanted to hang and had to move on to find usable trees. And, as Cougar also said, having that much distance between the suspension apex is going to require some extra tarp. But, that is not the only tarp related woe.

Consider the spreader bars. In addition to having to carry and keep up with them, you will want to avoid having your tarp be slammed into the bars by the wind, or when you are getting in or out. So, especially when trying to close tarp doors and pitch low to block wind and sideways rain, you are going to need a wider tarp and or some system for pulling the tarp sides out. Just something to keep in mind. Or, in my case, with the WBRR, I just pitch wide and use an UQP to take care of that.

I have WBRR and 2 older models of JRB bridge. The WBRR definitely has more shoulder room. But this is accomplished with wider spreader bars, thus more potential tarp problems. I personally find the JRBs quite usable and comfortable, and they require several feet less distance between trees and are a bit less problem with the spreader bar/tarp contact. Bridge hammocks beat all gathered hammocks for comfort with pad use. The original JRB is deeper than the others, and when a NeoAir pad is used it widens the hammock a lot, as well as VERY warm.

Some pros:
    1: Any bridge hammock = the end of calf pressure
    2: no knee extension
    3: no side twist when side sleeping
    4: way superior to gathered hammocks for pad use
    5: as long as the UQ is not too long, both JRB and WB bridges are very easy to insulate with UQs, I have never had the first problem.

So, there are a few bridge pros and cons for you.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-25-2019 at 23:34.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 05-26-2019 at 05:29.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Of the bridge hammocks I have tried (Ridgerunner, Chrysalis, Treem and Koma), all had more curve in the shoulder area than my favorite GE hammocks. They are all pretty narrow in the middle, where I would need more width when side-sleeping. And somehow, my elbows often end up on the hard sides, too. I'd say the main pro is no knee hyperextension and no calf ridge.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Just finished my first week long trip with my new ridgerunner (or any other hammock)and can honestly say I have never slept better in the woods. Being a side sleeper I went with a bridge hammock. I didn’t have my normal back pain from sleeping on the hard ground,loved it!

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I have a luxury bridge from Towns End and have tried JRB, Warbonnet, and REI’s. I would pick Towns End any day of the week, hands down. It’s a very well thought out package with loads of space all in a lightweight sack that doubles as a ridgeline organizer. It’s pricy but has become one of my favorites. Even though I prefer gathered ends I can’t seem to escape that bridge and tend to take it out a few times a year, especially in summer where it allows me to stay cool on a hot day. I’ve used it at 25 degrees as well and had no complaints. Love that hammock!
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    The "extra needed space between trees" issue is real. After getting burned a couple times on camping trips and not being able to hang, it has made me gun-shy (a lot of my camping is on float trips where the banks can be dense with growth...and often keeps me from spreading my tarp out wide as well). If I don't know the area or have any doubt of hammock hanging, I leave the bridge at home for a gathered-end. I prefer to use my bridges too, so it kind of bums me out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast