Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    A random thought: has anybody tried adding tie-out points to the bottom "corners" of a bridge hammock to shock-cord them out to the ground?
    I think there was a kickstarter or something similar in a thread here a few months ago that did just that. It might be a European design, if I remember correctly. Didn't generate much interest on here and looked heavy and complex but did have that feature, I think.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I think there was a kickstarter or something similar in a thread here a few months ago that did just that. It might be a European design, if I remember correctly. Didn't generate much interest on here and looked heavy and complex but did have that feature, I think.
    Treem I believe it was...https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...-lay-hammock#/

Different concept that what Bluesam was asking I believe though.

That thing was neat and I appreciate the thought... but that was a solution looking for a problem in my book.
    He does have that bridge trampoline tight- so likely the only way for it to have a hope in functioning is that multi-point tree connection.

Better ways to skin that cat in my opinon- but A+ for creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Treem I believe it was...https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...-lay-hammock#/

Different concept that what Bluesam was asking I believe though.

That thing was neat and I appreciate the thought... but that was a solution looking for a problem in my book.
    He does have that bridge trampoline tight- so likely the only way for it to have a hope in functioning is that multi-point tree connection.

Better ways to skin that cat in my opinon- but A+ for creativity.
    Yeah, I was thinking more elasticated guylines from a couple of points on the fabric at the head end, going out and down. Thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure the loading isn't an issue: any non-zero force applied there will flatten the bottom out to some degree, with the degree depending on the force in proportion to the tension in the fabric. Thus, you could put any degree of tension you like on there, and get a proportional flattening effect. So, you could set it up with a little bit of tension on them before you get in, then your weight will put just a little bit more tension on there.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Didn’t read every thread but just wanted to say that I tried my Warbonnet Ridge Runner for the 3 rd time last night and it just doesn’t work for me sadly. Having bad knees I like to bend them and toss around. It’s a wonderful hammock but also being a belly sleeper it just feels tight. Man I’m bummed out. Also bought the 20f Lynx and underquilt protector. I’m now going to look at gathered end wide fabric hammocks. Will try that. Hopefully I won’t lose more than 25% when I offer it on the sale forum. I wonder if my rectangular quilt will fit on the hammocks that can be layed in either direction? Not easy shopping. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Didn’t read every thread but just wanted to say that I tried my Warbonnet Ridge Runner for the 3 rd time last night and it just doesn’t work for me sadly. Having bad knees I like to bend them and toss around. It’s a wonderful hammock but also being a belly sleeper it just feels tight. Man I’m bummed out. Also bought the 20f Lynx and underquilt protector. I’m now going to look at gathered end wide fabric hammocks. Will try that. Hopefully I won’t lose more than 25% when I offer it on the sale forum. I wonder if my rectangular quilt will fit on the hammocks that can be layed in either direction? Not easy shopping. Thanks.
    Before you abandon the bridges,you may want to try “JustBills” models. They may work for you. I have made the transition to the Amok Draumr, I find it very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Before you abandon the bridges,you may want to try “JustBills” models. They may work for you. I have made the transition to the Amok Draumr, I find it very comfortable.

Yeah. The Luxury Bridge was a game changer for me. I've been sleeping in it full time at home since I got it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post

Did you give up on your big Ariel or just get 'hammock curious' and pick up the Amok too?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I suggest folks try a gathered end first generally... though for some that often means trying a dozen of them.
    Group hangs or even swapping gear with a forum member for some extended testing is really the ideal way to feel your way through.

I do feel bridges are sometimes a better entry point as they are pretty straight forward in their use with a shallower learning curve for ground dwellers making the switch. And I encourage folks to try the RR first as well. It's a pretty good 'one size fits most' option at a good price.

That said; if things don't pan out there are options if you don't find success elsewhere.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Did you give up on your big Ariel or just get 'hammock curious' and pick up the Amok too?
    No, I still have three different versions and am very happy with them. The are definitely the most comfortable Bridge hammock I have ever used (Never having tried your design). I still use my favorite from time to time for hiking trips.

I went on that journey to try to find a camping hammock that was more comfortable for me then a gathered end, most of which I found lacking for a “toss and turner” such as myself. I am cursed with fairly broad shoulders and shoulder squeeze (even in a Ridge Runner) kept me up all night. The “Big Boy Ariel” fully meet those requirements and was the first hammock I ever slept a complete night in. It was also a hammock (combined with my trekking poles) that I could take back packing and not incur a significant weight penalty with.

I tried the Amok on the recommendation of AZSteelman and after one night, I was sold. It’s the second hammock design in which I slept completely through the night in. I’m sure my next comment will generate some conflicting views but I stand by my opinion that a Draumr is not a hiking hammock (for me). The complete setup weighs twice as much as my Big Boy Ariel (with quilts). My days of trekking kit weighing more then 40-50 lbs on my back for 5 days are long over.

I use the Draumr when I camp in a car, or more frequently off the back of my motorcycle ( it doesn’t mind the extra weight). Combined with my Tensa stand, it allows me to camp in Big Bend and other desert locations In total comfort. I also bought the Draumr XL, it’s just as comfortable.

So it’s either a Draumr or my Big Boy Ariel.... each has its purpose.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    All makes sense to me... No sense getting all worked up over a piece of gear.

Doesn't make any sense to use a 12 ounce SUL pack to carry 60lbs any more than it makes sense to use a 4lb framed pack to carry 10lbs. Right piece of gear for the right trip and nothing more to it. I think what is so fun about the hammock world is that there are so many involved who approach their time outdoors differently.

I got a few bridges in TX these days... so you may run into one at some point. Though nothing beats tuning one just for yourself so don't get your hopes up too high. I do recess my bars further than Grizz by a good bit, and the Lux/Big Guy is an asymmetrical bridge so it would be a different experience if nothing else came of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345