Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    home-made!

Exclamation Under quilt suggestion?

I know this has been spoken over and over on this forum and all over google but I can't seem to get a definitive answer that works!

I'm going off hiking/camping this spring with a hammock and I need to get good "under quilt" to wrap my hammock around.
    (I'm on a low budget (as most of us during this economy) and don't have $200 to spend on one).

Some people say the iso pads are great and other say that they aren't specifically for hammocks.

Some say buy a sleeping bag and modify it while others say it's not enough.

I'm bring with me my hammock, large wool blanket which will wrap my 30f*+ sleeping bag.

(I'll be wearing to sleep thermal pants, thermal shirt, wool sucks, army wool shirt, and w/e else ill need to stay warm).

The weather will probably drop to 30's*-40'sf*

Now, obviously the heat will somehow manage to escape through my back, therefore, i need to fortify it by attaching something onto the outside of the hammock. I'm thinking of buying a cheap 40f*+ sleeping bag and modifying it to wrap around the hammock.

This is what I have in mind LINK
    Still awaiting a reply from a company to let me know if i can unzip it all the way so it comes out like a quilt.

(I was also thinking of maybe taking out my space blanket, and putting it between my hammock and my sleeping bag.. but still not sure.)

Before I do that, I'd like to know what you, great adventurers, like me prefer/tried/used/like and/or hate.

Any suggestion, idea, or theory is greatly appreciated.

PS. my companion on these escapades plans to use a sheep skin blanket as under quilt, will that work? Or is he just end up carrying extra weight for a failed attempt to stay warm?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Personally before I spring $22 on a nasty bag from Amazon I would look at the nasty bags from Walmart for $10. Add extra clothes to the mix and you should be good to go to the temps you are talking about. There are numerous threads on these forums about how to mod a sleeping bag to work as an underquilt. Some where I have a vid on Underquilts on the cheap which shows some of what I have done. I have since retired my modded underquilts (actually they are for sale) to go with the Super Shelter but I am a steadfast HH guy. The HH addresses my mobility problems better than any others.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    home-made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Personally before I spring $22 on a nasty bag from Amazon I would look at the nasty bags from Walmart for $10. Add extra clothes to the mix and you should be good to go to the temps you are talking about. There are numerous threads on these forums about how to mod a sleeping bag to work as an underquilt. Some where I have a vid on Underquilts on the cheap which shows some of what I have done. I have since retired my modded underquilts (actually they are for sale) to go with the Super Shelter but I am a steadfast HH guy. The HH addresses my mobility problems better than any others.

Hmm, ok good idea!
    Yes, I know there are plenty of threads on it, but no definitive "YES, this works the best!"

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    I think you could find a comforter somewhere in the family. Cut to size and hem the edges so it doesn't come apart. You mqay be able to just fold it and sew on some loops or cord. Hook it snugly under the bottom of the hammock. Cover this with a poncho attached under the hammock. You don't want air between the comforter and the hammock. Even the wool blanket and a poncho underneath should help. Cover up with your sleeping bag like a quilt. Not lite but warm. Maybe not warm enough for freezing.
    I see the words the best in another post. I don't know but I would think the best would be an expensive down under quilt and over quilt.

The cheapest underquilt I've seen is the Crowsnest for $185.

You could always use a pad to block the wind.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Are you car camping (and hiking from the camp) or backpacking?

Car camping will allow you to bring the cheap, bulky, heavy stuff that you do not want to haul in a backpack unless you had a mule.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveArts View Post
    Hmm, ok good idea!
    Yes, I know there are plenty of threads on it, but no definitive "YES, this works the best!"
    "Best" is indeed a matter of personal choice as well as personal needs. _For Me_ the super shelter is the best simply because it accomplishes what I need it to without spending the money for an expensive down underquilt. However, that being said... other people _hate_ the super shelter for any of a variety of reasons. I would suggest you abandon the quest for "best" in other peoples opinion and start looking for what meets your needs "best" atm.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I waisted a lot of time and some $$ trying to make my own UQ. Had I put my resorces into saving for a real UQ in the begining I would have had one a long time ago. Buckle down and save (yes easier said than done for some) and do it right the first time.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    You could always get a AHE 3/4 synth quilt for $125...
    or you can get all the stuff and make one if you sew ...

other than that i would say the crowsnest is the best bang for your buck
    or you can use pads...i myself am not a fan of pads...but they do work and they are cheap...
    you can pick up 2 wallyworld blue CCF pads for $10...and get a Speer SPE for $35ish and have yourself a nice setup that will get you down to 30 degrees easy for under $50

if it were me i would save up and get a KAQ from AHE or a crowsnest...

also keep an eye out in the "for sale" thread...i think Ramblinrev has a few DIY UQ for sale pretty cheap ...

or there is a Member whos Kid makes UQ and sells them pretty cheap...

thats about all i can think of right now..if i come across one cheap i'll let ya know
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Low budget and UQ don't go together, get the Lost River from AHE or just continue to wallow on the ground. Wallow enough, and you'll find the money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast