Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    home-made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Are you car camping (and hiking from the camp) or backpacking?

Car camping will allow you to bring the cheap, bulky, heavy stuff that you do not want to haul in a backpack unless you had a mule.
    We're driving to a certain part of the forest and than hike up for a few hours.

Those inexpensive silver space sheets are worthy of your attention and may assist you.

Hammock
    home-made!
    Thank you guys for all of your replies!

Unfortunately Im under a tight budget, so something that is over $100 is too steep for me. I do realize I'm better off just putting it together and get it.
    I just happened to spend a lot of money on a lot of camping gear this week, so now I'm trying to improvise.

Last question!
    If I do end up just getting a sleeping bag and wrapping it on the outside of the hammock, will it work.. will it keep me warm?

Also, there are some fleece sleeping bags that are only good for 55f*+ weather, should i even bother looking into those?

My main concern is mobility. I will be hiking for a while.

Hammock
    home-made!
    Quote Originally Posted by clearskyblue View Post
    Those inexpensive silver space sheets are worthy of your attention and may assist you.

yes, i have the space blanket. unfortunately they are usually for a single use, after that the shiny part rubs off and kind of becomes useless in terms of conserving heat.

Hammock
    home-made!
    are space blanket tarps any useful?
    will that help to conserve the heat if I'll stuff it between my hammock and sleeping bag?

LINK

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Any sleeping bag would need some modification for use as an underquilt. You can not just "wrap it around" or you are going to end up with cold spots. Fleece is not a reasonable alternative IMO as it does not compress hardly at all. You also need to take into consideration the bulk and weight of the underquilt you are wanting to carry. Humping a sleeping bag quilt can be done. I did it for quite a while. But eventually it got real old.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    home-made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Any sleeping bag would need some modification for use as an underquilt. You can not just "wrap it around" or you are going to end up with cold spots. Fleece is not a reasonable alternative IMO as it does not compress hardly at all. You also need to take into consideration the bulk and weight of the underquilt you are wanting to carry. Humping a sleeping bag quilt can be done. I did it for quite a while. But eventually it got real old.
    ok, makes sense!
    thank you

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    The last couple of weeks i'v been making and testing some DIY under quilt that I have made from sleeping bags . the first was a old 20° bag that I converted into a great UQ . paired with a 1/8" GG pad I was able to get down to 25° with no trouble . bulk is an problem so I set to make one that I could use 3 seasons in the 30°-40° range and still carry.I started with a 40° bag that has great compression and weights 1.5 lbs.with very little time any very little investment ($14.99 for sleeping bag on clearance , shock cord/locks$3.00 ,free pieces from other projects) .When this quilt was done, when paired with the 1/8" GG pad its did and will take me into the low 30,s with my hiking cloths and a 40° sleeping bag around me.(AND A HOT WATER BOTTLE ) . I would recommend trying one for your self if your on a budget and you have some skills with thread injection. Its a great way to get outside without spending lots to get there. If that works and I love it than maybe then I will spend bigger. .

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    The cheapest underquilt I've seen is the Crowsnest for $185.

You could always use a pad to block the wind.
    KAQ Lost river is $125. it's a 2/3rds size and some say good below 30degrees. (I love mine!) the rest of my gear is DIY...

Personally, before I mod a cheap sleeping bag, I'd consider a DIY SPE (Segmented Pad extender) or some closed-cell pad configuration.

I have a modified cheap sleeping bag as an underquilt. I had to use bungee cords for suspension due to the weight. I also had to sew in a channel top and bottom in order to cinch up the edges to the hammock. My sleeping bag started it's life as a 40 degree bag, but really wasn't any good at 40 degrees as an UQ. I did add a space blanket between the underquilt/bag and hammock. It helped a lot (but was noisy). I slept in it down below 40, but was a bit chilly.

Advice: take a look at Sgt Rock's website... He has several "real-world" tested scenarios. Scroll through this and read pages 1-7.. lots of good tips...

http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

Risk's site also has lots of info on double layer hammocks. You can slip a pad in between layers...
    imrisk.com

Many people have pad setups, and are happy with them. I'd do some backyard tests and see what works for you...

BTW: I always carry a space blanket. They're light, cheap. I've also found in my backyard tests that Reflectix (aluminized mylar bubble wrap) works pretty good as a hammock pad (you can buy it by the foot at RV parts stores - 24" wide) or the windshield reflector I mentioned above... I've also used "Insul-Brite" quilt-type insulation for $7/yd at walmart. I wouldn't use it by itself, but it's pretty warm for the weight and thickness (1/8" thick). I a piece under my head where my underquilt doesn't cover, or I put clothes in a stuff sack for a pillow...

My ramblings lead me to one point: Read some more, pick a solution and TEST it before you go on your long trip.

If you're really going hiking, a cheap sleeping bag might be a lot of weight, even cut down. SGT Rocks site said he used a pad with windshield reflector down to the 30's, which would be 3lbs lighter than an extra sleeping bag...
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 03-13-2010 at 23:26.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    One question I had that I hadn't found quite the answer i was looking for is - How much does the temp rating of your sleeping bag (assuming you use a SB rather than a Top quilt) effect the needs of the underquilt?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast