Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Backpacking trip advice

So, I live in Alabama, and next year my daughter turns 21 and wants to do a backpacking trip somewhere out west. I am looking for suggestions for a 3-4 day trip, nothing crazy mile wise, or too difficult, keeping in mind I have done trips in the Southeast 3-4 days. We are not newbies, but new to hiking out west.

We would want to fly out sometime in the summer time, July probably, so I am sure the heat will be a factor. Might even be fine base camping somewhere and day hiking.

Throw some options out if you have any. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    So, I live in Alabama, and next year my daughter turns 21 and wants to do a backpacking trip somewhere out west. I am looking for suggestions for a 3-4 day trip, nothing crazy mile wise, or too difficult, keeping in mind I have done trips in the Southeast 3-4 days. We are not newbies, but new to hiking out west.

We would want to fly out sometime in the summer time, July probably, so I am sure the heat will be a factor. Might even be fine base camping somewhere and day hiking.

I have more experience as a bikepacker than backpacker in recent decades, but I’ve been all over the west. In July i’d recommend pacific northwest, PCT/ high Cascades or Olympic National Park, flying into either Seattle or Portland. OK even though I’m Portlander, Seattle has more great options very close where heat won’t be an issue.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Mt Hood Timberline Trail would be a good 4 day destination hike. 40 mile round the mountain hike. Snow melts out mid to late July. No advanced permitting required. Lots of scenic variety. Well documented.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I don't have any advice or suggestions, I just want to say how awesome this trip sounds wherever you end up going. I'm happy when I get my girls to walk in the park with me.

Have a wonderful time!

Charlotte

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have the perfect suggestion for you. It is The Beaten Path Trail near Cooke City, Montana. It is 26.6 miles long, can be completed in three to four days and has designated campsites along the way. I have seen the trail described as moderate to difficult, but honestly, I didn't think it was that bad; i have encountered more tiring and difficult terrain on Isle Royale and in the White Mountains.

But, the best part is the scenery. I have been backpacking for 20 years and have never seen sights like I did along the Beaten Path. I kept using the same words to describe the trail and the sights I saw. My buddy was blown away as well. We even ran into a woman who had hiked Glacier National Park the previous year and she said the scenery on this trail was even better than Glacier.

Possibly the biggest drawback is the fact that it is not a loop hike and you end up 28 miles away from where you started which means you will need to find transportation back to your starting point. However, with that being said, please don't use that as the deciding factor to not hit this trail. I could go on for an hour about this trail but I will spare you that.

What I will do is encourage you to take a serious look at this trail and I will pass along info to help you with possible trip planning.

I made a video of our hike and so did my friend. Both have a different look and feel but give you a really good look at the trail and what we encountered. Then we both collaborated on a video and covered trip planning questions and answers. Quite honestly, I think they are three of the best videos out there regarding the trail, IMHO... and we looked at A LOT of videos before our trip.

I also compiled several documents with information we used while planning our trip and put them in a Google Docs folder. You may find a hotel in the area but there isn't really much there so if you want I can also suggest a very nice, very affordable AirBnB house we used... it was very clean, right in Red Lodge and even got two thumbs up from our wives. Although, when I just checked now, it appears as though the house we stayed in (Moose Traks) is no longer on the market but the same owner has another home in Red Lodge that looks very quaint, clean, inexpensive and solid reviews.
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4997205...en=0&infants=0

Finally, one last bit of advise. I reached out to this forum while we were planning the trip and corresponded with a couple people who live in the general area and have hiked the trail and their input was very helpful. Check out our videos and my Google Docs. I hope this piques your interest because I cannot say enough good things about this trail! I would go back in a heartbeat!

My Google Docs Folder (Several possible trip itineraries, trail stats, GPS data, web sites, brochures, etc.)
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DLnqqFDn8BvVVg

Last edited by sparky32; 05-25-2019 at 08:42.
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Images
    Also consider the Wind River range in Wyoming, and the Seven Devils Loop in Idaho.

Up down and around Strawberry Mt in Oregon would be interesting while providing more remoteness. You can hike straight to the summit of a 9000ft mountain.

Mt St. Helens is a unique and unforgettable 3 day trek, but is high difficulty and not hammock friendly.

Eagle Cap in Oregon offers several options, but tends to be very popular.

Jefferson Park area in Oregon is stunning but recently went with a permitting system.

Consider the Hoh Rainforest in Washington if you want moss draped trees. Although moss draped trees are easy to come by in the PNW.

Really, there are books full of wonderful hikes in the region. But if you are flying out just to hike, then you will want to make sure you get either get big trees or big mountains on your hike. These are what set apart the experience from eastern hikes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas guys, this helps a lot.

"I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post

The West is pretty big. Could you narrow it down an pick a state?

Looking for Blues, Greens and snow with allitude?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57634147276905

Or sand, reds, oranges?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57634146240200

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    July doesn't guarantee high temps at elevation.

Consider some of the loops in the High Sierras along the John Muir Tral between Yosemite and Mt. Whitney? Awesome trail, views, etc. Several really good "camps" you can rely on. Muit Trail Ranch. Reds Meadow. VVR. Mt. Williamson Motel.

Keep miles short and watch out for "altitude sickness."
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Can't go wrong with exploring the high Uintas in Utah. Easily accessible, close to major urban centers. Here are a couple of really good backpacking trips to research if interested. Amethyst lake, Red Castle, Naturalist Basin.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast