Tarp
    HQ Journey
    Insulation
    HQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    MyersTek Beckett

Cool Hello from Wisconsin

Hello everyone,

I originally got into hammocking as a way to relax once I hit camp during overnight backpacking. I realized that I enjoyed laying in my hammock more than the thought of setting up my tent and laying on the hard floor! I've been a casual lurker in these forums. I was never able to view attachments in the past so I figured it was time to get serious and register!

I started out with an eno doublenest as my casual lay, but have since graduated up now that I'm hoping to make this more than a fantasy. I went after the Dutchware Chameleon w/ the beetle buckle system and a sym. top cover. I'm realizing now I should have done the bug net with the summer coming upon us. Whoops! That'll be the next purchase. I wanted to have my first outting this weekend so I ended up running to REI and picking up a Profly tarp, which I know isn't the best and coverage will be close since the Chameleon is an 11', but there was a sale and I'm impatient! A tarp upgrade might be the next upgrade after the bug net (or sooner?). I've even gone as far as making the DIY Gemini under/top quilt. I'm curious how it will work since I'm 6'2". It might end up a little short, but that's what we're here to find out.

With all that silliness out of the way, I do actually have 2 questions.
    1. Are there any major items I'm missing? I have the Hammock, bug protection, rain protection, and warmth protection covered. Maybe I'm missing something?
    2. What are some good resources to find out the best places semi-local (southern WI/Northern IL) to get my outdoors fix? I know there are campgrounds abound, but I'm hoping to find some things a little more secluded and in-tune with nature. Sometimes this will be solo, other times I may bring a few companions that I'm trying to get hooked.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Welcome

Your two best resources for true single track backpacking are the North and South Kettle Moraines. Both have the Ice Age Trail running through and some what secluded shelter sites. That's about the best you can get in southern Wisconsin.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    OMG! You are in MKE! So am I!!! I've been wondering where all the MKE hammock hangers are! I'm over in Bay View. Where are you?

I'm hosting an event this weekend at Wildcat Mtn SP (via meetup, but I've got a thread on here too). Can you come? There will be about 16 of us. About 1/2 in hammocks. We could answer all your hammock questions!

I keep a list of local hangs in my signature profile below. I hope to meet you soon!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Quote Originally Posted by Wilklersticks View Post

...I've been a casual lurker in these forums...

1. Are there any major items I'm missing? I have the Hammock, bug protection, rain protection, and warmth protection covered. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Congrats on making the jump from lurking to contributing, and welcome.
    You've got the basics covered pretty well. Be warned, though, that unless you're strong-willed, you'll be tempted into a never ending parade of upgrades to everything you've got. Hide your wallet!
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HQ Journey
    Insulation
    HQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    MyersTek Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Welcome

Your two best resources for true single track backpacking are the North and South Kettle Moraines. Both have the Ice Age Trail running through and some what secluded shelter sites. That's about the best you can get in southern Wisconsin.
    That's what I was leaning. My initial need to stay close to home really us just until I get more comfortable. Once I feel better about the gear, I'm certainly going to expand my reach.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome from Nashville, Tennessee.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HQ Journey
    Insulation
    HQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    MyersTek Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Congrats on making the jump from lurking to contributing, and welcome.
    You've got the basics covered pretty well. Be warned, though, that unless you're strong-willed, you'll be tempted into a never ending parade of upgrades to everything you've got. Hide your wallet!
    This is my true fear

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HQ Journey
    Insulation
    HQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    MyersTek Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    OMG! You are in MKE! So am I!!! I've been wondering where all the MKE hammock hangers are! I'm over in Bay View. Where are you?

I'm hosting an event this weekend at Wildcat Mtn SP (via meetup, but I've got a thread on here too). Can you come? There will be about 16 of us. About 1/2 in hammocks. We could answer all your hammock questions!

I keep a list of local hangs in my signature profile below. I hope to meet you soon!
    I'm actually out in the 'burbs in Waukesha. I plan on "roughing it" in my family's lake house backyard this weekend to get my situation straight so wouldn't be able to meet up this weekend, but I'll keep an eye out for events. I was actually scoping out the meetup page earlier today. Forwarded it to a few friends even so I imagine I'll jump in on one of those eventually.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilklersticks View Post
    That's what I was leaning. My initial need to stay close to home really us just until I get more comfortable. Once I feel better about the gear, I'm certainly going to expand my reach.
    Aye, they are great places to get started. You can get a sense of that up north remote feeling, have plenty of woodland and trail to get comfortable with skills and distance all while being close to civilization as a back up.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Oh, you are in Waukesha! Lapham Peak has a backpacking site which you can call and reserve, but if you do, then you need to invite the rest of the MKE crew.

There are a few sites at Sandhill Station which will accommodate one hammock. Otherwise you need a hammock stand to hang there.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast