DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

MN - Superior Hiking Trail (Cliff Creek & Woods Creek) Video

The route we took was relatively short(~7 miles), just a very small section up near Grand Marais. Something you could hike in its entirety in a matter of hours but we took our time. Our goal was to give everyone, including those new to backpacking a taste of backpacking but still have enough time to relax at the campsite and watch the fire. This was perfect for my friends in bridging the gap between car camping and backpacking. Let those experienced test some new gear as well.

Photos

Day 1:
    We started out at Kimball Creek Trailhead and hiked up and down a few little valleys crossing bridges. The creeks were beautiful. After a little bit you come to a clearing up on a hill and it looks amazing. From there we got to Cliff Creek campsite. This is a nice campsite nestled along the creek. There is a perfect hammock spot down by the creek. I almost abandoned the group to go enjoy it, but decided against it. We mostly took our time gathering firewood and catching up.

Day 2:
    Forecast called for rain so as we packed up we all put on our raincoats and covered out packs. About 30 minutes in we took that all off. The whole day we were worried we were going to get hit, however no rain ever came. The trail between Cliff Creek and Woods creek is covered with a ton of roots. You have to watch your step. It is more of the same as of going into a little valley and back up. A nice work out for your calves. The trail had some mud this time of year but nothing too bad. A few sections had loose rock, you could easily twist a ankle if you are not careful.

Our lunch spot was on top of Butterfly Hill, an amazing spot for lunch. It over looks Lake Superior. As we sat there you could point out other areas of the SHT. Not far from Butterfly Hill is the Woods Creek Campsite. This was the group favorite. It has one tent area that we dubbed the "Deluxe Camping Suite" because it was right along the river and private. The latrine was up the hill and in the middle of a clearing. It was almost etheral. A little creepy for us. Firewood was also pretty picked over. This is clearly a popular site. We spent the afternoon taking naps and having a blast.

Day 3: Woke up to no rain again, we knew we were pressing out luck so we packed up and did the quick jaunt down the trail to the car. Only after we were all loaded in the car did it start to sleet/snow. We were very lucky. Ended up grabbing a really good burger at a place in Duluth called '7th Street West' on the way home. I recommend it if you are a burger fan. Everyone had fun and made it home safe, I couldn't ask for a better trip to introduce my friends into backpacking.

Here is a video, since we moved at a slower pace I got to film more of the trail which I enjoyed. Too often do I just hike through a area without taking in the scenery. Also got the drone up to enjoy the SHT. Such a pretty area. Now I prepare to avoid the SHT for the next three months as it becomes a traffic jam with hikers.

Attached Images Attached Images
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Excellent video. One mile or twenty it doesn't matter as long as you had fun. Thanks for taking us along.

Now that's a backpacking trip I could get into Great camera work and way to stick it out another night, I'm sure it was worth it. I know how that car can call when you're so close Thanks for the report Happy Trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Great video. I love the detail given about the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    One mile or twenty it doesn't matter as long as you had fun. Thanks for taking us along.
    Thank you, I like that positivity. We had fun, Especially the new hikers so it goes in the win column.

Quote Originally Posted by NOBOZax View Post
    Now that's a backpacking trip I could get into Great camera work and way to stick it out another night, I'm sure it was worth it. I know how that car can call when you're so close Thanks for the report Happy Trails
    We decided since the ground wasn't muddy we could set up the tents with no worry. The car was calling for sure, but the site had equal pull.

Quote Originally Posted by kamileon View Post
    Great video. I love the detail given about the trail.
    Thank you, I am hoping the trip report helps someone researching the trail a little bit. I know I appreciate it when I read a trip report with trail info.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Agreed, excellent video. Thank you for sharing. I was in the BWCA along the Gunflint Trail, and know exactly what you mean about lucking out with the [lack of] rain. Cool weather, no bugs, absolutely gorgeous sunsets, and the full moon at night made for a wonderful trip. Glad yours went well, too.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Nice job with the video! Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    Agreed, excellent video. Thank you for sharing. I was in the BWCA along the Gunflint Trail, and know exactly what you mean about lucking out with the [lack of] rain. Cool weather, no bugs, absolutely gorgeous sunsets, and the full moon at night made for a wonderful trip. Glad yours went well, too.
    I love those full moon nights. You can see everything in camp so clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Nice job with the video! Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you, I enjoyed sharing it.

• + New Posts